You are here

Recording in pubs

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Recording in pubs

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:37 am

I'nt this place brilliant, a quick google for Lea Nicholson brought this up...... delightful :D

http://www.nicholsonrandall.co.uk/category/music/
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:07 pm

Completely agree with that. Good to see Lea doing good stuff again. It's too long since Horse Music.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A small fish in a small pond.

Postby forumuser915213 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:15 pm

The Elf wrote:
Mike Stranks wrote:I do recall a conversation that the Elf and I had a while back now where we scratched our heads about the effectiveness of an omni as a Mid - not that either of us had tried it then... don't know if he has since...
I was thinking that this might be a good option as an audience mic arrangement for my live recordings this year.

I finally got round to trying the omni-centred mid-side approach during a band practice in our living room. The centre mic is a Studio Projects SC4, the figure of 8 is a t.bone SC1100.

As the fiddler I found I had to be about half the distance from the mics as our melodeon player in order to get a fair balance, and I also had to raise the mics close to violin/shoulder height. Doubtless similar issues would apply in a pub full of singers or a session.

The other instruments are Roland pian, assorted percussion and an old and well worked-on Hohner melodeon.

https://youtu.be/w6VYVcn1AeM

We were thinking of doing some demos with crossed pairs and omni spot mics, but I'm now wondering whether results like this won't achieve everything we need.

Gavin
forumuser915213
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:26 pm

Those cymbals kind of leap out at you! ;) I'd be looking to get them further from the mic and or get something in the way to attenuate them.
Aside from that things are nicely balanced to me, but as always I refer you to the disclaimer in my sig... :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby forumuser915213 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:37 pm

I'm not sure how we could quieten the tishes but not some other elements of our percussionist's kit - they rather come as a set.

I see what you mean, but I think I'll just have to write them off as just part of the drama of the thing...

Gavin
forumuser915213
Regular

Previous