You are here

Sound Devices Mixpre 10m as primary interface

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Sound Devices Mixpre 10m as primary interface

Postby dpete » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:45 am

Looking to hear the voices of experience, before purchasing a mixpre 10m vs ?.

The porta-studio nature of a mixpre 10m seems to make sense for my needs of recording song development rehearsals or the occasional live performance (usually a bar/pub). The 10m is sufficient for either situation, based on my needs. What I'm wondering about is how it would function as an interface for a DAW. The reviews I read say it will work, but not how well, in that role. Would it serve as a stand alone, solo interface, for a recording setup over dubbing and mixing tracks (ie. are the monitoring facilities sufficient). Whats lost compared to the RME, UA, Apogee dedicated interface devices? Is it just a matter or i/o counts, and preamp options? My goal is song / arrangement development, I have access to some very good studios, with good acoustical situations and signal chains for recording production takes. I need something to use for developing songs, and capturing performances. The sound devices mix pre's look very good for the capture work. I'm interested in how they might work as a primary "studio" interface for a daw.
dpete
Poster

Re: Sound Devices Mixpre 10m as primary interface

Postby Humble Bee » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:37 am

Can't go wrong with Sound Devices gear. Great stuff.

The Zoom Livetrack is to check out as well.

Might be more geared towards what you need.
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby ef37a » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:41 am

The thought had ocurred to to me as well dpete.

My only real reservation was the lack of MIDI facilities (not that I am ever likely to GET the inteface!) . I usually casitgate AI makers that leave off MIDI ports, except for those "one lunged" very cheap AIs that are really only fit for podding IMHO, but the SD interfaces are obviously aimed at a different market from your average music recordists/bedroom jockey.

Still think they could have found room for a couple of 3.5mm jacks!! As for monitoring facilities? I am happy with my Mackie BK passive. Fine so long as the cables are shortish.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby dpete » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:49 am

ef37a, the lack of midi is not a big concern for me, I do have a standalone interface, I'm hoping would work in parallel with the Mixpre, used as an audio interface. I'm hoping to find somebody with the arrow's in their back from being the early adopter of this piece of equipment in this role. I could alternatively do the laptop/interface routine, a more worn path, but this seems like a nice solution.
dpete
Poster

Postby Paul Isaacs » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:46 pm

The MixPre-10M works pretty well as a 12-in/4-out USB interface for your DAW. As an 8ch mic pre/USB audio interface, you'll find it v. hard to beat the sound quality. I use it for overdubbing and mixing all the time. Balanced outs for feeding mix to main monitors and unbalanced outs to a second pair of active monitors. HP amp sounds clean and full. The USB 2.0 interface latency is fine but don't expect it to be as low as Thunderbolt or USB3.0 and latency will obviously depend on how much processing and system resources you are using. MixPre does have a zero-latency monitoring mode which gets round that in most situations. When recording vox, guitars, and piano I actually monitor using the MixPre's built-in custom designed plate reverb as it sounds beautiful - you can do this while still recording dry into your DAW. The Hall and Room reverbs sound really nice too. MixPre cannot be used as midi interface to your computer. V3.00 firmware coming soon does however allow you to control the MixPre with a USB controller like Korg NanoKontrol, Novation, Akai etc.

Full disclosure - I work for Sound Devices so take this with a pinch of salt:)

Paul
Paul Isaacs
Poster
Paul Isaacs
Sound Devices LLC

Postby blinddrew » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:41 pm

Paul Isaacs wrote:Full disclosure - I work for Sound Devices so take this with a pinch of salt:)

Paul
:thumbup: How to engage positively with this community. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ef37a » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:54 pm

Hi Paul.
Yeah, don't mind me! The lack of MIDI facilities on AIs in the last 5 years or so is a bit of a hobby horse (some would say "pony&...!) of mine but by that I mean those interfaces that are otherwise clearly intended as part of a fixed base music recording setup where, IMHO, MIDI is a vital part.

I do accept that the S D intefaces are designed for a rather different market.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Paul Isaacs » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:42 am

Yeah having midi/DAW interface on this would be cool too as a convenience, but you know, in many ways, not having the option of midi, forces me to get back to getting the sound and performance right at kick off and often this is really inspiring - it forces you to use your gut and its amazing how prolific you can be that way. Besides I've got so many midi boxes, I don't miss it ... so far.
Paul Isaacs
Poster
Paul Isaacs
Sound Devices LLC

Postby dpete » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:54 pm

Thanks, Paul. Just the kind of information /voice of experience feedback I was looking to get. (and what I'd expected, based on reviews, specs, and Sound Devices documentation). The V3 prospects sound good.

Regards,
Dave
dpete
Poster

Postby Dan LB » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:21 pm

Paul, has a release date for the version 3 firmware been set yet? Very excited to try it out :bouncy:

Dan
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Paul Isaacs » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:38 pm

Dan LB wrote:Paul, has a release date for the version 3 firmware been set yet? Very excited to try it out :bouncy:

Dan

All I'll say is its coming very soon. Keep an eye out. If you registered your MixPre on our website, then you should get an auto-notification when new firmware comes out.
Paul Isaacs
Poster
Paul Isaacs
Sound Devices LLC