You are here

Complete newbie Guitar amps / mic ect

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Complete newbie Guitar amps / mic ect

Postby paul.scaife » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:38 pm

Hi all

Wondering some one could help a complete newbie to guitar and amps. I think I may have made a purchase error lol

I have bought Roland blues cube stage all singing all dancing I gather, and I also on a whim purchased a Roland.

I play-doodle on my telecaster mainly to backing tracks however I know that the blues cube at that price is only meant to have guitar signal as meant without sharing with other signal like a backing track to spoil the tone ? line in / rec in ect ect I do not understand ?
help

Question is: Can or how do I use these both to play ?

https://www.roland.com/uk/products/blues_cube_stage/

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/music ... index.html
paul.scaife

Re: Complete newbie Guitar amps / mic ect

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:13 pm

As far as I can tell the Blues Cube doesn't have any kind of aux input for your tracks so unless you use a mixer to mix the guitar and track you simply can't play the tracks through the BC. If you did use a mixer you would have to use only the cleanest possibly setting (no distortion as it would distort the track along with the guitar). This rather defeats the object of owning an amp like the BC.

The best (maybe only) solution would be to have some kind of separate playback system, a Yamaha THR would serve that purpose but would be woefully short of bass and overall level unless you are running the BC at it's 0.5 watt setting. Something to play the tracks at better volume would be a better solution, either a reasonably meaty domestic hifi or a single smallish powered PA speaker,

HTH

edit:-
paul.scaife wrote:I have bought Roland blues cube stage all singing all dancing I gather, and I also on a whim purchased a Roland.

Not sure what you mean BTW?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:09 pm

I think he meant to put 'Yamaha THR' instead of that second 'Roland', though we don't know exactly what version of THR he's bought.

The THRs all have an auxiliary input and full-range speakers, so from the two amps, that one would be the best amp to use for playing along to tracks with. But it's never going to be particularly loud, though should be fine for playing along for practising at low-levels.

For a similar cost to a basic THR, you could have bought a 50W or 100W Boss Katana (which is almost as good as the Blues Cube, is cheaper than the Blues Cube and also sports an auxiliary input for playing backing tracks through). But the speaker isn't full-range, so whilst the track would be played cleanly with no distortion applied regardless of the guitar settings, it won't have as good a playback sound as on the THR, though it can certainly be made a lot louder.

You mentioned mics in the title but not in your post. So are you thinking of adding a microphone as well so you can sing along? If so, you may be better off getting a small active PA speaker for the mic and backing track, and play along on whatever amp you want. You'd really want something with built-in reverb or echo for the voice. There are quite a few small speakers around that have several inputs with mic preamps, so it depends on your budget (if any) as to what to get if you feel this might be a better way to go.

This is about the cheapest speaker I could find that ticked the boxes https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/tourtech-ttpsm5-active-portable-pa-speaker
It's similar in looks to quite a few other personal monitors by Behringer and Mackie etc, but this does have a basic echo effect which will make your vocal sound a bit more interesting. Its small size will limit the amount of bass it will push out, but if you are limited to bedroom practice only, then you won't want floor-shaking levels of bass, just enough to hear to play along to. I have never heard that unit, but if it's like the similar Behringer unit, it will sound OK for rehearsing with.

If you pay more, the speaker size gets bigger and the sound quality improves.

It would help us to help you if you could explain in more detail as to exactly what you are trying to achieve and the environment/ environments you will be playing in.

If you get stuck on technical terms, the SOS Glossary is a good place to find most of them explained. https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/glossary-technical-terms
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby ef37a » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:42 pm

Hi Paul. Buried in your post was "rec". Can I assume that meant "record"?

If so and you meant you want to play guitar, record the result and perhaps add vocals then the usual route is an Audio Interface. An AI such as the Steinberg UR22 (but also see the bigger of the two Mackies in the current magazine) will accept a guitar via a "high impedance" input and you can hear it either through external monitor speakers or headphones. The computer can supply backing tracks and record the results.

Software in the computer can give you almost any guitar effect you want. You can of course use an amplifier and record that via a microphone. In fact the ways and means of recording guitar are almost infinite!

Have a look for the Aug 07 SoS issue.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster