You are here

Shipping a Korg M1 plus 1

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Shipping a Korg M1 plus 1

Postby bsacco » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:37 pm

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone here on this forum has had any experience shipping a heavy keyboard?

I have a RARE Korg M1 Plus 1 that I need to find a vendor that sells custom shipping boxes specifically made for shipping heavy keyboards.

Is there a service that does this? Or do you think Korg could send me the original shipping box?

I've never shipped a keyboard and want to make the best and safest decision so that this rare keyboard is not damaged.

Thanks, Bob
bsacco
New here

Re: Shipping a Korg M1 plus 1

Postby desmond » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:11 pm

Sure, I’ve shipped standard keyboards like this without problems. There’s a nice YouTube vid on how to box keyboards, that’s worth a watch. Supportive bubble wrap, extra thick at the ends and the middle, and then a card box is pretty good.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:15 pm

^^^

...yeah, I've mailed a bunch of old keyboards in the past. It's a bit of a hassle, but plenty of bubble-wrap and cardboard and it should be OK. I generally get full cover just in case.
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:06 am

The video I referred to earlier...

https://youtu.be/Z8LRUTswkq8
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby bsacco » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:56 am

Thanks so much. I appreciate it.
bsacco
New here

Postby Dave B » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:24 am

You are a very brave chap! Most of the reason that I get twitchy about selling stuff is the actual transportation - some of the horror stories still give me nightmares.

Recently, someone sold their beloved (mint!) Juno 106 and paid top notch for a courier to ship it in a full flight case. It was ruined! (The driver stood it against a wall and then managed to reverse a lorry into it - even a full flight case can't take that) The insurance was almost useless as they initially wanted quotes to get it repaired.

There are regular discussions in these parts about "is there a reliable courier?". Current thinking is that it is actually cheaper and safer to hire a man with van...

Me? I tend to mark stuff as collection only - that way I can show it working and ensure that the new owner is happy before they leave. It may severely restrict the number of people willing to buy it, but it's worth it for the peace of mind.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby BJG145 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:04 pm

Dave B wrote:Me? I tend to mark stuff as collection only.

Ideally: "Personal collection only. By you. No couriers!!!"

People still regularly bid on items they can't collect, however clear you try and make it. Most exasperating one was a Mackie D8B which I marked insistently as local collection only...and ended up shipping to Germany. :headbang:
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)