You are here

Bulk Digitizing Old Cassettes

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Bulk Digitizing Old Cassettes

Postby James Perrett » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:17 pm

Tim Gillett wrote:Another issue is the cassettes themselves. Especially older cassettes can have a worn, or damaged pressure pad. This can cause partial or complete loss of signal.

That's a good point Tim which I forgot to mention in my previous post. I've had quite a few old cassettes recently where the pressure pad has come unstuck and gone missing. In cases like this I usually transfer the tape to a new housing.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Wonks » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:20 pm

Unless it's an old blues recording, when it's a how, how, howsing.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Tim Gillett » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:03 am

James Perrett wrote:
Tim Gillett wrote:Another issue is the cassettes themselves. Especially older cassettes can have a worn, or damaged pressure pad. This can cause partial or complete loss of signal.

That's a good point Tim which I forgot to mention in my previous post. I've had quite a few old cassettes recently where the pressure pad has come unstuck and gone missing. In cases like this I usually transfer the tape to a new housing.

Yes I sometimes reshell the tape or just replace the felt pad and its metal spring with a new one. But I try and avoid using the cassette pressure pad altogether, and generally use Nakamichi dual capstan machines with the pad lifter. Apart from anything else, I find the Nak type pad lifter extends the life of the valuable play head.

All the best,
Tim
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Previous