You are here

passive and active monitors with monitor controllers

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

passive and active monitors with monitor controllers

Postby Michael Bailey » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:57 pm

Simple question, considering adding a set of the new Auratone passive monitors (Nashville made brand new), with the Drawmer CPA50 power amp in addition to a set of Eris 8 inch active monitors. So, I would need a monitor controller for switching back and forth. I am considering the Drawmer CMC2 to control both monitor sets, however one set is passive with the amp, the other of course is powered monitors. Can I do this without a problem? Main thing I just want to verify with experienced people that this form of mixing powered and passive monitors will work, I suspect it will work, just want verification. The controller will be fed by the monitor outputs of a Scarlett 2i2 and the Scarlett is hooked into a wonderful new I mac pro.
Michael Bailey

Re: passive and active monitors with monitor controllers

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:59 pm

Michael Bailey wrote:I am considering the Drawmer CMC2 to control both monitor sets, however one set is passive with the amp, the other of course is powered monitors. Can I do this without a problem?

Yes. No problem at all.

You'll need to match the levels of the two speaker systems so that you can switch between them without level jumps, and to do that you set a suitable reference level on your active speakers using the gain controls on them, and then adjust the power amp's volume knobs for the passive speakers to match.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Michael Bailey » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:34 pm

Thank you!!!!
Michael Bailey

Postby Michael Bailey » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:38 pm

Thanks for the tips just what I needed to know!
Michael Bailey