You are here

New Mixpre-3 Need help!

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

New Mixpre-3 Need help!

Postby Ariosto » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:28 pm

Just received new Mixpre-3 and a bit disappointed by the minute size!

Big problem though - how does the wall power supply plug in? Can't find any way to do it.

Also - plugged in the USB Y lead to computer and into a slot near the on/off switch and the whole thing keeps flashing while eventually after some minutes stays on.Can't get any joy out of the touch screen.

Is this a faulty machine?

The instructions are very poor - in fact non existent. Even on line it doesn't have a troubleshooting section. All rather poor.

Anyone able to help?
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Re: New Mixpre-3 Need help!

Postby Wonks » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:36 pm

You've got one of these?

https://www.sounddevices.com/products/a ... ies/mx-psu

You're going to need to slot the UK 3-pin adapter into the slot. The plastic 'ground' pin needs to slot in first. If there's already another adapter in there, then you'll need to remove that (push the 'push' button in the middle of the adapter and slide the old one out).
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Wonks » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:41 pm

The Y-cable is to allow two USB-A slots to power the Mixpre-3 if one slot can't do it on its own. It sounds like the device is struggling for power, so you will need both of the USB-A ends plugged in until you get the mains adapter sorted.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Ariosto » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:50 pm

Thanks Wonks. But it already had the UK 3 pin one in place - but its where I put the other end in is the problem - it doesn't seem to fit anywhere!

Even with the Y lead into computer for power where the lead does push into a USB slot neat the on/off switch the lights are all on but nothing else happens, even when I touch the screen.
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:52 pm

Ariosto wrote:Just received new Mixpre-3 and a bit disappointed by the minute size!

:headbang:

SOS REVIEW wrote:That phrase I used above, “...in a very compact format”, doesn’t really do the MixPre-3 justice: this thing really is tiny, measuring just 110 x 114 x 36mm (WHD) and weighing 0.6kg complete with a fully loaded four-AA battery pack and a memory card.
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/sound-devices-mixpre-3

Big problem though - how does the wall power supply plug in? Can't find any way to do it.

The mains PSU plugs into the USB C socket on the left-hand panel just below and left of the on-off switch.

Also - plugged in the USB Y lead to computer and into a slot near the on/off switch and the whole thing keeps flashing while eventually after some minutes stays on.Can't get any joy out of the touch screen.

Make sure you've plugged in BOTH USB-A plugs of the Y-cord into your computer, with the USB-C end plugged into the MixPre3.

The MixPre won't get enough power from a single USB-A socket, and it sounds like thats your problem here: it simply isn't getting enough juice to complete the power-up.

Also, bear in mind that it takes about 10 seconds to fully spring into life. The SD logo in the left-hand corner lights immediately, but the screen remains black for about five seconds, which can be disconcerting. It then shows the firmware version for another four or five seconds before finally displaying the home screen and loading the last-used project.

Is this a faulty machine?
I very much doubt it! If in doubt, load up the battery compartment with decent AA cells. It won't run for more than an hour on alkaline cells, but it should work properly....

The instructions are very poor - in fact non existent. Even on line it doesn't have a troubleshooting section. All rather poor.

I thought the full manual online was quite good... but I think Sound Devices are a victim of their previous success here. They are used to making products for very experienced professionals... the world (and knowledge and experience) of the enthusiastic amateur is rather different!

I reviewed the MixPre3 rather than the 3M version (I have subsequently spent some considerable time with the 10M), but I thought it was a fabulous unit which was delightfully easy to use...

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Ariosto » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:57 pm

Ah, I used more force and the other end of the mains lead went in OK and then the screen came on. So maybe at last 1 hour later I'm in business.

Many thanks for your help.
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:01 pm

:thumbup: 8-)
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Ariosto » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:18 pm

Now I've got it up and running it's a very good machine from the sound point of view. Very hard and fiddly to change or select things and I have to use a toothpick to switch it on and off. If I were a six inch high person I think it would be easy.

I still haven't worked out how to get it to simply give me a mono wave file - it always gives stereo plus one two or three ISO files all in the wave file when I copy into Reaper. I have to convert this to one mono file. Can't get it to do mono sumnd. I must be doing something wrong again.
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:26 pm

Machines such as the MixPres, The Zoom F series and the Tascam DR608s - and probably many others - allow you to choose the format in which files are stored. So there's an extra level of selection in addition to WAV/MP3 etc, number of bits and sampling frequency. You can usually choose, for instance, between one file with all recorded tracks bundled into it and separate mono files - one per track. Most, but not all, DAWs can unbundle a composite file. With my F4 I have it set to discrete mono tracks. That's just my preference.

So probably a bit more menu rootling may be required.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:41 pm

Ariosto wrote:Now I've got it up and running it's a very good machine from the sound point of view.

Yep.

Very hard and fiddly to change or select things and I have to use a toothpick to switch it on and off.

I don't have the daintiest of hands myself, but I had absolutely no problems using it at all. But you do need to understand the menu structure and the control shortcuts to use it efficiently.

I still haven't worked out how to get it to simply give me a mono wave file - it always gives stereo plus one two or three ISO files all in the wave file when I copy into Reaper.

I'm not sure which version pf the MixPre3 you have: the original MixPre3, or the later multitrack-capable MixPre 3M...

Originally, the MixPre3 always produced a polywav file which could then be broken down into the component recorded parts in a DAW. Those components being a stereo mix file and individual source track mono files. That's what the machine is designed to provide.

The MixPre3-M version didn't do the polywav thing but always provided the track iso and stereo mix files separately

(However, I believe there have been firmware updates since I last used these machines to make the polywav thing an option on the MixPre3 now as not everyone appreciated the polywav format and it did impose some limitations when recording very long takes in the larger machines!)

But the important point is that the MixPre3 WILL NOT PROVIDE A MONO MIXDOWN WAV... EVER.

That's not what it was designed to do.

It will always give you the stereo mix (which could be dual mono, of course, if you pan your sources centrally), plus the individual sources as MONO 'iso' tracks.

So, if you want a mono mix of multiple inputs, then I'd just pan everything central and then split the stereo mix track in the DAW to use just the left side... simples...

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Ariosto » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:18 pm

According to the manual I downloaded it only does wav files. It's the basic MixPre-3.

I will have to pan central which I do anyway and just make it a mono track when rendering the file.

Thanks for the help.
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:40 pm

Ariosto wrote:According to the manual I downloaded it only does wav files. It's the basic MixPre-3.

Yes. Only wavs, unless you buy the Musician plugin which will give you an AAC option as well (plus 12 record tracks (three at once) and the ability to overdub).

I will have to pan central which I do anyway and just make it a mono track when rendering the file.

Yep. No great hardship.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Kwackman » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:22 pm

You're maybe already aware of this, but just in case....

If you've a computer handy Sound Devices' own "Wave Agent" can do all kinds of things to WAV files. It's free!
https://www.sounddevices.com/products/a ... wave-agent
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Ariosto » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:49 pm

Kwackman wrote:You're maybe already aware of this, but just in case....

If you've a computer handy Sound Devices' own "Wave Agent" can do all kinds of things to WAV files. It's free!
https://www.sounddevices.com/products/a ... wave-agent
Thanks. I downloaded it but my damned Mac wom't let me open it as it's not an approved supplier! I hate Apple.
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:51 pm

Sounds like you’d be better off with the MixPre-3m which is also cheaper. As has been said, it produces individual WAV files instead of PolyWAV. Are you able to swap out the unit with the supplier? You’ll miss out on a few options designed for pro-film work but maybe that’s not a problem for you. Do read up first though ;)

Other than that it would appear the unit is working to specification. Which is sublime! My concert recording kit now consists of a relatively small Pelican case with a MixPre-10m, all the mics I need, headphones and mic clips - so easy!

I also have the MixPre-3 for outdoor soundscape work which is very good too. Yes the on/off switch is fiddley, but fine once you get used to it, and rather that than something which can be easily switched off by mistake.

I find the menu structure to be very easy to work, easier than the Zoom F range, but again you need to be familiar with it or read the manual ;)

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:53 pm

Ariosto wrote:Thanks. I downloaded it but my damned Mac wom't let me open it as it's not an approved supplier! I hate Apple.

Sound like you hate everything at the moment...... you can work around that in system settings........ RFT :headbang:

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:17 pm

When you try and install it and it fails you have half an hour to go to System Preferences / Security & Privacy where there will automagically be a box you can click to allow the installation to go ahead. It may seem a pain (actually, it is a bit of a pain) but it's really rather neat in that there is no way software can install itself without you knowing and giving explicit permission. And good job too.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby Ariosto » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:31 pm

I did go to system preferences but it only allows recognised developers, but I tried again just now and it came up with "install anyway" and it seems to have worked. Many thanks.
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Postby Kwackman » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:31 pm

Ariosto wrote:Thanks. I downloaded it but my damned Mac wom't let me open it as it's not an approved supplier! I hate Apple.
Right click on it, then select open.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Kwackman » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:33 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:When you try and install it and it fails you have half an hour to go to System Preferences / Security & Privacy where there will automagically be a box you can click to allow the installation to go ahead.

Well, you learn something new everyday!
Thanks CC
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Next