You are here

Armless studio chairs - recommendation?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Armless studio chairs - recommendation?

Postby jimbobbley » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:35 pm

Hello all

Rather than lusting after that much-needed bus compressor or preamp I've decided to spend some proper money on a decent studio chair. I hope this is the right place to ask but feel free to move it, mods, if it's not!

I work in the studio about 7-10 hours a day, seated, and need to be able to have armless access for recording guitars, basses and so on. I'm keen to buy a good chair that's been well-designed to help some long-standing posture issues... the obvious candidates are chairs like the Aeron but I don't think you can move the arms sufficiently on those.

Does anyone have a good-quality chair they could recommend for the above purpose please? Much appreciated... I've been meaning to do this for years!

Thanks

J
jimbobbley
Regular

Re: Armless studio chairs - recommendation?

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:18 pm

I believe the Aeron arms can be removed.
also
I don’t know where in the world you are but if you want to save money on one there might be liquidation companies in your city that buy furniture from companies that no longer need all their furniture and sell pieces off individually.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:59 pm

The arms can normally be removed on any office chair, though if buying new, I'm sure armless ones will be slightly cheaper. As ManFromGlass said, it's worth looking round for good quality used furniture as it's often a lot cheaper and the very good stuff like Aeron lasts a long time.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby sgt.rock333 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:51 pm

This one:

https://www.amazon.com/SONGMICS-Armrest ... rest+chair

Arms down = working with computer

Arms Up = Playing Instruments

Works for me anyway...
sgt.rock333

Postby Bob Bickerton » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:44 pm

Being a long time sufferer of lower back issues and having tried many chair options, my current solution is a fairly lightweight piano stool. I have it at a height that forces me to plant my feet firmly on the ground and that forces me to sit with correct posture.

And yes, I spend a lot of time staring at computer screens.

Just saying.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby MOF » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:51 pm

Have you thought about a raisable desk instead? Sitting for that many hours can’t be good for you.
MOF
Regular

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:19 pm

I was considering that route and then discovered it’s not good to stand for lengthy periods of time, even on a soft rubber mat!
It’s not easy being human sometimes.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby MOF » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:21 pm

You have to keep alternating between sitting and standing.
MOF
Regular

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:34 pm

I also have a well designed kneeling chair which sees occasional use. I drew the line on trying one of those large inflatable balls. Sometimes I use a drum throne.
The best I have found is to keep the abdominals somewhat in shape. And as MOF says, keep changing them up.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Exalted Wombat » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:53 pm

As so often in our music-tech world, It Ain't About The Gear.

Consider the pianist. He spends many hours in front of his 'work-desk'. He rarely considers using anything other than a straightforward piano bench (I won't say never, or we'll spiral off into a discussion of freak cases :-) And if he seizes up, it's not just inconvenient and painful, it's a complete show-stopper!

My preference is a plain wooden stool, or a piano bench. But it's much more about posture and relaxation than about the chair.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby ore_terra » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:21 pm

Agreed: posture and relaxation.

You can get one of those gamers chairs costing 300£, but if you sit in the edge, keep your shoulders tight using the mouse, dont rest your lower back...
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:43 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:I also have a well designed kneeling chair which sees occasional use.

I bought a couple of these many years ago to help with back problems, and they worked really well...

...except that I later ended up with knee problems because all my upper body weight was resting on them instead :headbang:

Back to a more balanced approach with a good quality supportive office chair.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:32 pm

I have one and my dance teacher son has damaged his back in the last few weeks. I offered it to him but he had also heard that, long term, they do result in knee problems (which he already has from his former career as a dancer on Irish and Rhythm Tap shows). FWIW I found it pretty comfortable when I had back issues but didn't use it for long enough to develop knee problems (though they have arrived since). 'The boy's' (ok he's 40) qualifications include various anatomy stuff and some Reiki training so he does know what he's talking about (even though, as his father, I sometimes don't realise it :blush: )
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby John Egan » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:22 pm

Exalted Wombat wrote:As so often in our music-tech world, It Ain't About The Gear.

Consider the pianist. He spends many hours in front of his 'work-desk'. He rarely considers using anything other than a straightforward piano bench (I won't say never, or we'll spiral off into a discussion of freak cases :-) And if he seizes up, it's not just inconvenient and painful, it's a complete show-stopper!

My preference is a plain wooden stool, or a piano bench. But it's much more about posture and relaxation than about the chair.

When I was looking for a studio chair, I went for a well designed dining chair made by a local furniture maker. It encourages good posture, is comfortable for long periods, and best of all it doesn't creak when I am recording guitar. It cost me around £200, but I've had it for about 15 years and i have never regretted my choice.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:43 pm

In the studio I have a couple of IKEA stools with thick padded tops (surplus from the caravan breakfast bar stools) added so they are about 4" higher which is enough to stomp the looper accurately when playing guitar but my main chair is an ordinary high back office chair I was given at the end of a small festival. I don't spend hours in in one place as playing guitar in the chair is not ideal but it is more comfortable when sitting at the mixer so I swap around a fair bit. We humans were not designed to be static for long periods of time.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby jaminem » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:45 pm

sgt.rock333 wrote:This one:

https://www.amazon.com/SONGMICS-Armrest ... rest+chair

Arms down = working with computer

Arms Up = Playing Instruments

Works for me anyway...

I have the mesh backed cheaper version of this. Works great. Mix? Arms down. Guitars? Arms (or arm) up.

Also stores under the desk closer with arms up...
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby Zukan » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:43 am

I hate those knee/chair thingies. Did my knees in.

The advice to look for office furniture is a good one. I spent 6 months looking for the right chair and eventually ended up buying a lovely leather affair that was being sold by a furniture manufacturer. Not only did it come in way under budget but it is the most comfortable chair I have ever used.
Zukan

Postby CS70 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:58 am

jimbobbley wrote:Hello all

Rather than lusting after that much-needed bus compressor or preamp I've decided to spend some proper money on a decent studio chair.
J

I use a Savo Icon chair, lots of adjustments, comfortable and very ergonomic and you can sit for hours with no problems. I use with the back in fixed position, and removed the left arm so I can play guitar but kept the right one so I have support for the mouse-handling arm :)
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby jimbobbley » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:20 pm

Thanks for all the recommendations, folks.
jimbobbley
Regular

Postby The Bunk » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:54 pm

From my experience with office chairs, don't skimp on the cost. That can be a classic case of "buy cheap, buy twice" of which I now have experience. Doesn't mean to say you can't get a decent one at a reasonable price, but the reference to the £200 chair above is worth noting.
The Bunk
Frequent Poster
2 answers; 799 questions and about 58 "Mornington Crescent" posts.