You are here

Recording Noob Interface Question

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Recording Noob Interface Question

Postby Ben Ferguson » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:35 pm

I've been a musician since the mid-80s, but have almost no home recording experience.

I am putting together a studio for voiceover, personal music composition, and occasional music and voice collaboration.

I already have professional microphones: Electro-Voice RE27N/D, Rode NT2-A and I have access to borrow a Shure SM7B.

I built my computer last spring. It has an Intel core i7 7700 K processor running at 4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 500GB NVME SSD primary drive, 4TB secondary drive, and uses the ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac motherboard, which has native Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.1 support, and it is running Windows 10 Pro.

I have been considering the Focusrite Clarett 4Pre Thunderbolt, Audient iD44, RME Babyface Pro, or something similar, even a Focusrite Scarlett series or PreSonus USB 3 or Thunderbolt unit, but when I spoke with Sweetwater, and told them what I want to do and what equipment that I already have, they directed me to get the Universal Audio Apollo Twin Mk2 Solo. Telling me that it will record the highest quality audio from the mics that I have and because they had a demo unit available for $580 + $49 for Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter.

I made the purchase based on their recommendations and their statements about quality preamps and overall audio quality, and I received it just yesterday.

My concern is did I buy the right thing? Did I buy more or less than what I need? Did they oversell/undersell me?

I am unfamiliar with Universal Audio and don't know if Sweetwater's claims about high-end audio recording results from my microphone selections are accurate or hype?

I only just received it and haven't tried it yet. Did I buy the right thing or should I return it?

I need advice and opinions.
Ben Ferguson

Re: Recording Noob Interface Question

Postby kinglouis » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:31 pm

Hi Ben,

Welcome to the forum!

All of the interfaces you list are very high quality and you won't be disappointed by the pre's in any of them. Arguably the UA twin you bought has the highest spec preamps plus you get the benefit of being able to run their plugins through it too - are you aware of UA's unison technology? Essentially means you use certain plugins like channel strips or guitar amps whilst recording with no latency.

As long as 2 channels is enough for you.

In the right room, your mics plus the Apollo will certainly be capable of making a very good sound. If you're worried you overspent, any of the other interfaces are also very good workhorses.

Good luck!
kinglouis
Regular

Postby ef37a » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:57 pm

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/un ... -twin-mkii

Yes, very nice* and if you did need more inputs you could invest in an ADAT unit. RME do a very nice one!

*Would not be my choice of course. Lot of money for no MIDI!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:28 pm

Lack of MIDI would be a concern for me, too, but other than that you should be fine.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:51 pm

Lack of MIDi is annoying but a lot of makers seem to be going that route and MIDI interfaces are dirt cheap so the only real consequence is loss of another USB port. Definitely not a deal breaker. Plenty of us here use UA interfaces, probably only RME is as popular around the forum, so just settle down and enjoy your kit without reservation.

Cheers,

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A small fish in a small pond.

Postby Ben Ferguson » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:27 pm

Thank you, everyone.

I appreciate everyone's input and feedback regarding my purchase.

I am new to digital audio recording, so I genuinely value the thoughts and opinions offered here.

I will to select a DAW to use to get familiar with this interface.

Thank you.
Ben Ferguson

Postby Watchmaker » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:29 pm

Good choice Ben. UAD is outstanding gear. I ended up spending extra on their stuff because I became enchanted. The 1073 pre emulation is my favorite toy. Lots to love about it, I hope it brings you years of joy.

Personally, I've never felt the absence of midi ports on an interface. but that's not my use case.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby ef37a » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:48 pm

Well, my dig at the lack of MIDI ports WAS a touch tongue -in-cheek but I do think it is sad and mean when AIs cost over half a bag and contain huge processor power and yet they cannot find room for a couple of 3.5m TRS jacks?

I also have an aversion to extra "dangly bits" especially when there is no technical need for them.

Almost everything RME make has the DINS, some even four!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Watchmaker » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:55 pm

I have an adapter for that
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby ef37a » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:05 pm

Watchmaker wrote:I have an adapter for that

Bet it dangles!!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:55 am

ef37a wrote:I also have an aversion to extra "dangly bits" especially when there is no technical need for them.

I hope your partner doesn’t share that view :beamup:

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz