You are here

Recording control surface movements in Studio One Artist V4

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Recording control surface movements in Studio One Artist V4

Postby Durr GaGa » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:16 pm

Hi folks this is probably going to come over as a dumb question but here goes!

I have a Roland AP-300 Pro, Subsequent 37 and TR-8S. I am trying to record a live session in which the Subsequent 37 and TR-8S are recorded as an audio channel and the TR-8S is sending MIDI signals to a percussion instrument track in Studio One to play additional percussion sounds. This is working perfectly and from a 'live' point of view, I am achieving the sounds that I want. However, during my 'performance', I fade in and out the instrument track in Studio One using a fader control on my AP-300 - again, this works fine in a live context but when I record the session, the fade in and outs are not recorded so that when I mixdown and export the song as an MP4 music file, the percussion instrument track is at a fixed level.

Is there a way of recording the fader inputs so that my recordings faithfully reproduce my live session?

Many thanks,

Steve
Durr GaGa
Poster

Regards,

Steve
www.nightskyimages.co.uk

Re: Recording control surface movements in Studio One Artist V4

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:23 pm

Presumably the faders are midi continuous controllers and will send CC data out of the midi out socket. So you should be able to record all the output from your A3400 Pro onto a midi track in Studio One and extract the relevant CC data in post?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby desmond » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:27 pm

If you are moving the faders but they are not being recorded as MIDI data, then you probably need to record them using automation, so try putting the channel into one of the automation write/touch/latch modes as appropriate, and see whether the mixer changes are "recorded" now.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Durr GaGa » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:00 pm

Thank you Sam and Desmond for your swift responses, very much appreciated - I have found the automation track option in Studio One but currently the A-300 is not showing as a selectable device and in changing its settings to make it more of a surface and less of a keyboard, the control surfaces are currently not playing ball but that is all part of the fun and steep learning curve.

I am sure that now I understand the significance of 'automation' in this context, I will eventually get there!

Thanks again,

Steve
Durr GaGa
Poster

Regards,

Steve
www.nightskyimages.co.uk

Postby Durr GaGa » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:30 am

Sam and Desmond, OK, I got there in the end so thank you both. The 'Automation track' ended up as a red herring which was my fault for not understanding your suggestions fully. The solution was much simpler once I had got rid of the notion that a separate automation track was required.

The solution was to simply set the right mode on each track, in this case 'Write' when recording and 'Read' when playing back and this is achieved by clicking on the 'Auto-Off' button at the foot of each track when in Console view. For anyone else struggling with this, the attached image should help!

My biggest frustration with learning all this stuff is that I don't know what the real name of the features are that I need to search on! I guess this is the same with any new interest and in another life I am heavily into a very technical subject but there, I know the jargon ....

Regards,

Steve

Durr GaGa
Poster

Regards,

Steve
www.nightskyimages.co.uk

Postby desmond » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:45 am

Durr GaGa wrote:The solution was to simply set the right mode on each track, in this case 'Write' when recording and 'Read' when playing back and this is achieved by clicking on the 'Auto-Off' button at the foot of each track when in Console view.

Exactly. "Automation" as a feature is pretty much implemented the same way in all DAWs really.

Durr GaGa wrote:My biggest frustration with learning all this stuff is that I don't know what the real name of the features are that I need to search on! I guess this is the same with any new interest and in another life I am heavily into a very technical subject but there, I know the jargon ....

Indeed! At least in the internet age, there are no shortage of places where you can get help with this stuff, unlike when a lot of us started! :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:25 pm

In that respect Desmond is one of the heroes of this place.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.