You are here

iLoud Micro Monitors - Any one have any?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

iLoud Micro Monitors - Any one have any?

Postby Guido3 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:06 pm

As the title says really. I am looking a getting a pair of the iLoud Micro Monitors. Does anyone here have a pair or ever used them? What do you think of them?

Also, do they sound OK plugged straight out of the computers headphone output or are they really better suited used in conjunction with an external soundcard?

I'm trying to go uber-portable so eliminating the need for any unnecessary equipment would be good. I have a MBP running Logic X.

MBP connected to a set of small speakers and a USB controller keyboard is my aim here but I do need good sound quality.
Guido3
Regular
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Re: iLoud Micro Monitors - Any one have any?

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:16 pm

If you're going portable you'll be working in untreated rooms so headphones will give you much better quality for your money.

https://reverb.com/uk/p/akg-k702?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkr647Zes3wIVluJ3Ch2V5QhFEAYYAiABEgKyF_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&hfid=17609459

For a review on the iLoud monitors though see here https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ik-multimedia-iloud-micro
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Humble Bee » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:25 pm

I recently went "über-portable" trading my Yamaha HS5's for a short-scale bass and went on the hunt.

I tried quite a few including the iLoud ones but finally decided to stretch the budget and get the Genelec 8010's.

The iLoud's do have impressive bass for its size, but that's about it.

The Genelec have less bass yes but the general sound quality is far superior so I bought them. The build quality is also prefect and solid.

I have no regrets even if they are more expensive.

They make a nice bag for them as well that I might get at some point but the cardboard boxes they came in are sturdy and have served me well when traveling.

I run them with an Apollo Twin mk2 but they will run fine of your mac. Just get the correct good quality cable.

My 2 centimes...
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby Humble Bee » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:40 pm

Just want to make clear that the iLouds don't sound bad at all. But I happened to much prefer the overall sound and response of the genelecs.

Cheers!
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby Guido3 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:24 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:If you're going portable you'll be working in untreated rooms so headphones will give you much better quality for your money.

Sam, I agree but I have to play back the results to clients in different places which is why I thought a small pair of speakers would work.

If I can get away without a soundcard I could get a decent pair of headphones for me and a pair of iLoud to take out with me. I have always used a soundcard with Logic so not sure of the downsides of not using one. I don’t need any inputs so that isn’t one of them!!!!
Guido3
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:38 pm

Ah, makes sense then :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Guido3 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:34 pm

For just playback from Logic, is there any benefit using an external soundcard apart from audio quality?
Guido3
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:48 pm

I'd say, probably, laptop headphone outputs are not renowned for pro quality, but a cheap USB sound card should give you a useful improvement. However, are you planning on mixing on the monitors or are they only for playback to clients? If he latter a decent, rechargeable, bluetooth speaker might be a more useful option for that job? Obviously I don't know who your clients are, if they are discerning and have great ears then that option may not be ideal.

https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Behringer-UCA202-Audio-Interface/79E?origin=product-ads&campaign=PLA+Shop+-+GENERIC&adgroup=GENERIC&medium=vertical_search&network=google&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=9410d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=303071000040&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx8fSibqs3wIVGKaaCh09LQfuEAQYBSABEgLcvvD_BwE
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Guido3 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:02 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I'd say, probably, laptop headphone outputs are not renowned for pro quality, but a cheap USB sound card should give you a useful improvement. However, are you planning on mixing on the monitors or are they only for playback to clients? If he latter a decent, rechargeable, bluetooth speaker might be a more useful option for that job? Obviously I don't know who your clients are, if they are discerning and have great ears then that option may not be ideal.

It needs to sound half decent as they are paying!! I think I may get a something like an Audient ID4 and marry it up with either the iLoud or a pair of 8010’s. There are a couple of pairs on the ‘bay’ for around £350 which is only £100 more than the iLouds. I need to go and have a listen to them!!
Guido3
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:08 pm

Bear in mind if your tracks have much bass a pair of small monitors may not sound too 'impressive' where a domestic speaker might have a fair bit more low end. As you say, time to go and listen to a few. And a good, small USB audio interface is never going to lie unused at the back of a shelf.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Guido3 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:58 pm

I’ve found an old pair of Fostex PM0.4’s I had squirrelled away in the loft. Should do the job nicely. :D

I just need to get some kind of case sorted for them and I’m all good!!
Guido3
Regular

Postby DC-Choppah » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:34 pm

For what its worth, I have a pair of the iLoud Micro monitors and I was glad to find that things that I have mixed on them have sounded good on other formats and have been selected by some radio producers.

I thought I just got them for convenience to use with my office PC so I could do some mixing there. But I am quite sure that projects come out differently when I mix on these and the difference is in a good way, at least for me. My regular monitors are Adams. When I get something to sound good on both the Adams AND the iLouds, I am starting to get something that sounds especially good to me when I hear it back in the real world.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Guido3 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:34 am

DC-Choppah wrote:For what its worth, I have a pair of the iLoud Micro monitors and I was glad to find that things that I have mixed on them have sounded good on other formats and have been selected by some radio producers.

I thought I just got them for convenience to use with my office PC so I could do some mixing there. But I am quite sure that projects come out differently when I mix on these and the difference is in a good way, at least for me. My regular monitors are Adams. When I get something to sound good on both the Adams AND the iLouds, I am starting to get something that sounds especially good to me when I hear it back in the real world.

How do you connect your iLouds to your computer? Do you use an audio Interface?
Guido3
Regular

Postby DC-Choppah » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:40 am

Guido3 wrote:How do you connect your iLouds to your computer? Do you use an audio Interface?

I have an M-Audio Delta 2496 card and use its outputs and run ProTools on this desktop PC.
https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 501&hilit=

The motherboard audio driver is lower fidelity to my ear and noisier and does not get along with ProTools very well.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster