You are here

working with roland vs2480 exported files

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

working with roland vs2480 exported files

Postby mken » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:19 am

Hi , fairly new to this recording lark. lots of experience on live sound but have recently been working with band and managed to get 6 songs recorded on a Roland Vs2480. A friend said they would do the fine mixing if I provided them with the raw tracks. So in my naivety I did Project Export to 6 seperate CDs , one for each song. When the friend tried to se them they showed as blank even though disk space ( around 500Mb ) was used. So reading this forum and others it seems that the Export Project results in Roland proprietary files being created designed for being imported on other Roland products. So I see I have a few options:-
1. Return to the studio and do a Track export which should result in .wav files being produced.
2. Try and find a conversion program which can convert the proprietary files to .wav and if I do this won’t have to return to studio. Anyone know of suitable free utilities?
3. I did see mention of a program VS wave explorer which has good reports but when I try to download it my Norton antivirus flags it as having a trojan embedded and stops the process.
mken
Poster

Re: working with roland vs2480 exported files

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:41 am

Give this thread a scan if you haven't already.

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64190
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Elf » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:01 am

As you will see from that thread, I hit exactly the same problem recently, but I got around it with that VS Wave Export utility.

Here is a zip file of the utility software, the additional file mentioned, and an example CMD file to register that additional file - all set up for a WinXP installation:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ee0p45f4f0ymda/VSWE1.24a.zip?dl=0

You will need to do things differently if you are trying to use a different OS. I saved Roland's instructions in an HTML file, also contained in that zip package.

The software itself is quite arcane. I can't recall the exact process right now, but it's essentially two stages - read the CD and save the contents to the PC's disk, then read the newly saved data and convert to it WAV files. You need to ensure that you select the tracks you want to convert in that second process.

HTH!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby mken » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:24 pm

Thanks for the info, I’ m on an Ipad at moment, when I click on the link you gave it says restricted content, file no longer available. I guess it will the same when I’m on my pc.
mken
Poster

Postby Wonks » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:53 pm

Yes, it does the same for me. It's probably not stored in The ELf's public folder.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby The Elf » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:59 pm

It is definitely in my Public folder (though that's no longer a pre-requisite with Dropbox anyway).

Weird - I'm getting the same error myself now!

Let's try another approach: https://mega.nz/#!aoZVDS5K!qzzRgyeEV89PKXcg-tpeH4U1-qfrSm5Iba6ejzjP7Fc
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:00 pm

:thumbdown:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Wonks » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:01 pm

:thumbdown:
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:03 pm

The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:14 pm

:thumbup:
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby mken » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:47 pm

Thanks for all the info, it looks like my easiest option is to get a copy of VS wave export utility but each time I try to download I have probs. The dropbox link doesn't allow me access and the 2 sites I have tried to download from ( one of them Mega.nz ) after I downlaod and try to unzip, Norton jumps in and removes the file saying it is infected with a trojan. Anyone else got a clean source for this download?
mken
Poster

Postby The Elf » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:44 am

I think that must be a false positive that Norton is giving you. My antivirus has no problem with this software.

You may be able to find the VS software elsewhere. But make sure you check Roland's notes for use, because without that additional file and registration the software most likely won't install or run. And I couldn't make it run on Win10, don't forget.

I've deleted the Dropbox version of my zip file. I will leave it on Mega for a couple of days.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby mken » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:24 am

Ok, thanks.
mken
Poster

Postby mken » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:51 pm

Hello and Merry Xmas everyone. Thanks for all the advice you’ve given. It seems that instead of homing in on a solution this one seems to be mushrooming like a lot of things to do with computers. I have read the VS2480 manual again and in order to achieve what I want , ie. having got the recordings on the VS2480 , I need to transfer them to a windows based pc for further editing. So it seems there are 3 options:-
1. Do a TRACK EXPORT or PHRASE EXPORT via a CD-R . These will be WAV FILES and should be easily transferred to a pc.
2. Do a PROJECT BACKUP which the manual infers all the track data will be recorded as a WAV file.
3. Do PROJECT EXPORT which will result in the recorded data being stored in a proprietary form suitable for IMPORTATION. on other Roland devices.
It is option 3 I took and now have 6 cds . These cannot be read via normal windows programs but they do show in “properties” as having around 500Mb written.

Options 1 and 2 end up with WAV FILES which should be easily read. Option 3 is a bit more vague. I don’t know what format the files are written in. But mention is made of VS WAVE EXPORTER and the question I have is will this program work directly with files created from a PROJECT EXPORT?
If not is there a method to work with these exported files? If I have to options 1 or 2 then I’ll have to revisit the studio.
mken
Poster

Postby chipster » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:46 pm

You are now experiencing how Roland managed to take the world's BEST multitrack and reduce it to a closed-system dinosaur now selling used 10 cents in the dollar, while a TASCA 2488 NEO goes for 80% of new(!)--

1) no way you can use YOUR 2488 saved files without the export software. They are written in Rolands proprietary format. Whoever engineered the session should have saved them as WAVs on CD;
2) there is no USB on the VS-2480. Dumb. Even 15 years ago...
3) IF you (can)save them on CD as WAVs, go find a CD reader on your computer with USB. Import the WAVs.

What many people do is feed the analog audio outs to a multitrack that makes WAVs easily, with a USB import/export. Or use (ugh!) the CD player. Or buy a VIRDIS system, which needs a PC with a slot and no Windows 10....
chipster

Next