You are here

Vocal session in home studio: how to improve my signal chain

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Vocal session in home studio: how to improve my signal chain

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:31 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:
your voice people like Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, James Taylor and nearly every folk singer except Kate Rusby would never have got beyond the doors of their local pub.

I know one man's meat and all that, but I think James Taylor is a beautiful singer. :shock: You can't lump him in with Cohen and Dylan and other stylists like that, surely?

Of the three I'm not a fan of LC. I do like Dylan though and, no argument, JT is definitely a beautiful singer. But, objectively, his voice is not great, it is thin and weak with little in the way of resonance and body, not an intrinsically 'good' voice. My point was that having a great (or even marginally good) voice is not the first requirement for someone hoping to achieve success in the field of popular music.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Vocal session in home studio: how to improve my signal chain

Postby MOF » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:07 pm

My point was that having a great (or even marginally good) voice is not the first requirement for someone hoping to achieve success in the field of popular music.
Agreed, some singers have fabulous tone, perfect delivery and they even emote the words but somehow aren’t interesting or distinctive enough to grab your attention. John Lennon had a big hangup about his voice but it didn’t stop him from doing some great lead vocals.
MOF
Poster

Previous