You are here

searching for a hard disk recording system to replace entire studio

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

searching for a hard disk recording system to replace entire studio

Postby LewisAlexander2018 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:52 pm

Hi folks.

Sorry to post here but I hope someone could help me locating either of the following machines within the UK, if you happen to have one for sale, please contact me here.

URGENTLY WANTED:

Either of the following recording systems...
Korg D32XD Budget £600,
Akai DPS24 (budget £600),
Yamaha AW2400 (Budget £350) / Yamaha 02R96 mixer (budget £850),
Roland VS2400 (Budget £450) / VS2480DVD (budget £650) ,
Tascam X48 recorder with ADAT or analogue cards (budget £700)
Mackie HDR2496 with ADAT cards. (budget £400)
Otari Radar / IZ Radar (budget £800)

I realise that the RADAR or a yamaha 02r96 is way out of the price range as most are well over £1200 used but it's worth an ask.

The reason for looking for one of these is due to a situation which started in December 2017 after my dad passed away of a heart attack, he died in my arms trying to save him, so you can imagine that Christmas / new year was rough. With this, I had to shut down the studio and sell up, this was because our bank (Lloyds Bank PLC) made a rather stupid mistake and placed me in a position of closure to save our home, leaving mum and I in a state. So, the entire Protools HD system, digital console, outboard, keys, everything. GONE in 1 day to a studio clearance company, anything that didn't go was listed here and sold. After 10 months and legal matters I managed to recover about £5000 of what was owed and nothing more. so, my small setup currently consists of two synth workstations, headphones and that's it.

I am unable to move back to a Protools based setup, I can't afford it, it means buying a mac, Protools, interfaces, etc a console, etc. I just can't do it.

In the setup, I also owned two mobile multi track systems, 1 being a Tascam SX1, the other, a Korg D32XD fully loaded, ok both were used when purchased but were used on locations for recording where a PT system couldn't be taken.

I've no intention of moving to a computer based setup. I just need something I can load in a case with one of my workstation keyboards, some mics, headphones, etc and then get back on the road.

I placed the ad here in Readers Ads, but also on Gumtree and Preloved, sadly both preloved and gumtree have caused scammers to waste valuable time. This included a scammer who yesterday decided to text me, then later email me photos of a claimed D32XD recorder which weren't his, they were from an EBAY USA seller I spoke to previously. This chap then tried changing the goal posts and scarpered when evidence was emailed back to him, this morning, another scammer emailed me wanting me to "Sell" my recorder. Now, the whole preface of the word "WANTED" does not mean "for sale" unless someone's mastered backwards logic or is in an alternate dimension where everything is flipped.

Is there anyone here who happens to have one of the machines I've mentioned at the top of the post who would consider selling please? I'm sorry to intrude here.

Any help would be much appreciated. the machine must be in full working condition, clean and cared for, if it's a rack mount machine rash isn't a worry, but if it's an all-in-one with motorised faders, then all I ask is that it's cared for, undamaged and runs fine.

Cheers

lew
LewisAlexander2018
Poster

Re: searching for a hard disk recording system to replace entire studio

Postby desmond » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:19 pm

There's at least three Akai DPS24's on ebay UK right now, I haven't checked the others, but I'm sure you can find something of interest and budget.

If you're wary of ebay, you can always contact the sellers of anything you're interested in and get a feel for them, collect/pay in person etc...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby OneWorld » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:07 pm

A decent 02r96 with MLAN, 1MY16-AT, 1MY8-AT, 1 Waves96 card, plus meter bridge went for about £650 on eBay. It was up in The North East though and I seem to think the further away from London you get, the more the rices are depressed

I have seen an AW2400 go for £180, in very good condition, more usually they go for £300ish. I was after a D32XD and there was one on Gumtree - £400! but I was out the country at the time and it was sold before I returned.

If you can I would be inclined to bide my time, maybe set yourself up with a DAW, interface and controller to keep you going in the meantime until a real bargain comes up for sale.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby LewisAlexander2018 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:18 pm

desmond wrote:There's at least three Akai DPS24's on ebay UK right now, I haven't checked the others, but I'm sure you can find something of interest and budget.

If you're wary of ebay, you can always contact the sellers of anything you're interested in and get a feel for them, collect/pay in person etc...

Hi and thanks for your reply, sadly the 3 AKAI DPS machines listed on ebay are either heavily outpriced or have faults. the cheapest model shown has a defect which requires attention, knowing this machine rather well from having worked on one years back, these are a bit of a pig to get parts for and repair due to multi layered boards. the two expensive models, one is by a 3rd party auction site, the other is by a vintage instruments seller who maxes prices out on them. These are worth about £650 today but are heavily outpriced due to greed.

I did find a D32XD but the ad was withdrawn both on ebay and Gumtree, though I've spent time chatting with the seller, the sale isn't viable as I'm up north, seller's as far south as heck and I have no transport to get there, not willing to ship either. A seller on Gumtree advertised an akai DPS24, which I was lied to about, the seller became threatening and the sale was terminated.

I have spent a lot of time btween Preloved, Gumtree, online searches and ebay, contacting sellers, etc for the last 2 months. this is tiring.

Thank you so much for your reply though.
LewisAlexander2018
Poster

Postby LewisAlexander2018 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:25 pm

OneWorld wrote:A decent 02r96 with MLAN, 1MY16-AT, 1MY8-AT, 1 Waves96 card, plus meter bridge went for about £650 on eBay. It was up in The North East though and I seem to think the further away from London you get, the more the rices are depressed

I have seen an AW2400 go for £180, in very good condition, more usually they go for £300ish. I was after a D32XD and there was one on Gumtree - £400! but I was out the country at the time and it was sold before I returned.

If you can I would be inclined to bide my time, maybe set yourself up with a DAW, interface and controller to keep you going in the meantime until a real bargain comes up for sale.

Hi OneWorld,

Thanks for your reply.

an 02r96 would have been an ideal machine, connect via adat to something like an alesis hd24 maybe. ideally though for my requirements when at churches, etc as well as from home, an all in one system is best. the AW2400's I've checked out have been hammered, regardless of claims, they've been pushed to their limits. some people don't take care of their kit which is a shame.

I can't splash out on a DAW as I have particular accessibility requirements, so it has to be a mac. If someone had an old macpro with Protools HD interface, etc for sale I'd consider it but I'd need to find a console like a c24 or something like that. it defeats the purpose though of a mobile in-case setup though. I'll just have to keep hunting and hoping.

I often wonder how certain people who try and sell their gear can be so ridiculous as to push either photos which aren't theirs, or equipment photos where the machine's been abused, not even cleaned. it's not being picky, for heaven's sake surely a seller would consider giving a unit a clean, polish, etc before taking photos, so as not to cause any backlash with a buyer. simple thing really, not like companies like cash converters who take any old tat and sell it as expensive tat.
LewisAlexander2018
Poster

Postby desmond » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:37 pm

No worries.

I've found in general, if you are looking for something specific and are budget limited, really all you can do is be patient and keep monitoring these places in case something suitable comes up. It can take time... but posting on some more reputable forums like this one is a good way to extend your reach - good luck, hope you find something suitable! :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby LewisAlexander2018 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:39 pm

desmond wrote:No worries.

I've found in general, if you are looking for something specific and are budget limited, really all you can do is be patient and keep monitoring these places in case something suitable comes up. It can take time... but posting on some more reputable forums like this one is a good way to extend your reach - good luck, hope you find something suitable! :thumbup:

Thank you so much for your help and support. I've even gone as far as Selling sites in Ireland believe it or not just in case a seller had one and could ship, nope. seller told me just exactly what I could do with my offer and request for shipping. a contact of mine then told me this guy was difficult lol
LewisAlexander2018
Poster

Postby LewisAlexander2018 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:45 pm

I've even considered something like a sony DMX100 or Panasonic RAMSA with ADAT but from what I've found, the Sony DMX was known for it's faults. I miss the tascam SX1 as it was quite a nice unit to work with, ok it weighed a ton, but for certain jobs, that went out. most of the time it ws the korg D32XD, loved it. lighter weight, easier to work with and with the expansions loaded, offered a bit more for location work.

If I could find a decent rig, I'd be set up, no more stress, back to work.

lew
LewisAlexander2018
Poster

Postby desmond » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:11 pm

LewisAlexander2018 wrote:I often wonder how certain people who try and sell their gear can be so ridiculous as to push either photos which aren't theirs, or equipment photos where the machine's been abused, not even cleaned. it's not being picky, for heaven's sake surely a seller would consider giving a unit a clean, polish, etc before taking photos, so as not to cause any backlash with a buyer. simple thing really, not like companies like cash converters who take any old tat and sell it as expensive tat.

Completely agree with you there. The bottom line seems to be that some people care about these things, other people just don't, or at least don't care enough to spend the little extra time needed to make something look decent and attractive... :(
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:21 pm

LewisAlexander2018 wrote:Hi folks.

Sorry to post here but I hope someone could help me locating either of the following machines within the UK, if you happen to have one for sale, please contact me here.

URGENTLY WANTED:

Either of the following recording systems...
Korg D32XD Budget £600,
Akai DPS24 (budget £600),
Yamaha AW2400 (Budget £350) / Yamaha 02R96 mixer (budget £850),
Roland VS2400 (Budget £450) / VS2480DVD (budget £650) ,
Tascam X48 recorder with ADAT or analogue cards (budget £700)
Mackie HDR2496 with ADAT cards. (budget £400)
Otari Radar / IZ Radar (budget £800)

Not on your list, but I have a Fostex D2424 (rackmount 24-track, original version, not the LV model) which you can have for nothing (except the cost of shipping) if that would be of use to you. It needs a replacement hard drive (it originally had an 80Gb IDE but that died from non-use a while back), but other than that it's in great condition (at least it was last time I turned it on).

It's been languishing in a dark corner for a while and could do with a good home, so if that's of interest, let me know.

Passing on good karma & all that (if you can't use it, no worries, it'll wait for a future opportunity to do good) ;)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, raising money for charity via music created by forum members at https://sosforumalbum.bandcamp.com

Postby Dan LB » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:21 am

LewisAlexander2018 wrote:Thank you so much for your help and support. I've even gone as far as Selling sites in Ireland believe it or not just in case a seller had one and could ship, nope. seller told me just exactly what I could do with my offer and request for shipping. a contact of mine then told me this guy was difficult lol

In fairness he replied very courteously explaining that he’d prefer someone to inspect it in person and collect it, adding that he wouldn’t trust it to a courier. He then wished you good luck in your search, so your version of events seems very disingenuous.
Just to be clear, I’m not affiliated with that seller in any way and have never dealt with him either - I merely was curious as to what he said to you so went and had a look.

Now, having said all that, I could possibly help you out with that listing. I live about 100 miles from where he is and could make a trip over there to pick it up. I’d have no problem packing it well to send to the UK. I have no experience with that machine though so I could really only judge it by cosmetic condition and whether it powers up or not!

Feel free to PM me.

Dan
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby LewisAlexander2018 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:54 am

Dan LB wrote:
LewisAlexander2018 wrote:Thank you so much for your help and support. I've even gone as far as Selling sites in Ireland believe it or not just in case a seller had one and could ship, nope. seller told me just exactly what I could do with my offer and request for shipping. a contact of mine then told me this guy was difficult lol

In fairness he replied very courteously explaining that he’d prefer someone to inspect it in person and collect it, adding that he wouldn’t trust it to a courier. He then wished you good luck in your search, so your version of events seems very disingenuous.
Just to be clear, I’m not affiliated with that seller in any way and have never dealt with him either - I merely was curious as to what he said to you so went and had a look.

Now, having said all that, I could possibly help you out with that listing. I live about 100 miles from where he is and could make a trip over there to pick it up. I’d have no problem packing it well to send to the UK. I have no experience with that machine though so I could really only judge it by cosmetic condition and whether it powers up or not!

Feel free to PM me.

Dan

To make you aware Dan LE, You're referring to the WRONG ad, so acusing me of bending the truth is wrong. I'm referring to another ad for a D32XD where the seller removed the ad. I'm more than aware of the Akai DPS and his email response to me and I was happy with that, I had actually received a phone call about it, which raised concerns. so, as regards your accusation, it is invalid. Partly my fault in a way for not being clear of which seller was advertising what, but at the same time, just please consider an accusation before you conduct it. I had this last night with an ebay seller who accused me of a scam because of the questions I asked, in depth questions I will add, in the end he realised his error but lost a sale.

The AKAI DPS being sold, I was informed had been heavily used and there were issues, not what was advertised. this information was provided by someone who viewed the machine and called me., yet the seller for the DPS24 in Ireland as said above, did message me, I had no problem what so ever with his reply, so left it at that. to confirm, the ad i refer to was indeed removed by the seller as I commented on his behaviour politely regarding his sale and his attitude, he reposted, removed it, reposted and removed again because the site recalled all posters comments and offer submissions.
LewisAlexander2018
Poster

Postby Dan LB » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:28 am

Hi LewisAlexander2018,

I’m sorry for having jumped to conclusions. That was wrong of me and I genuinely didn’t mean to offend or upset you. I was indeed referring to the ad selling the Akai machine.
Please accept my apologies - hands up, I made a genuine mistake.

I wish you every success in finding what you’re looking for.

Dan
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby LewisAlexander2018 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:38 am

Dan LB wrote:Hi LewisAlexande4 2018,

I’m sorry for having jumped to conclusions. That was wrong of me and I genuinely didn’t mean to offend or upset you. I was indeed referring to the ad selling the Akai machine.
Please accept my apologies - hands up, I made a genuine mistake.

Dan

It's alright. easy mistake to make. We all do it, even me, sorry for my wording there.

Well, this morning, yet another con on gumtree, don't you just love them.... here it is...

"From:
Katie
Hi,
Please respond to this enquirer on xxx@gmail.com if your Musical instrument is still available."

Contacted Gumtree support yesterday about the incidents from their site, didn't really get much from them, then this first thing this morning. I often wonder one of two things. 1: Can the reader read, understand and interpret English? 2: Is the responding party just getting his / her kicks wasting valuable time? Time I wish I had plenty of.

In all honesty, I'm thinking of pulling the ads and backing out. The whole plan is to get back to producing the work I need to, both at church and from home with my keyboards for particular arrangements, recording a full pipe organ, choirs, piano, etc for particular projects. The whole point of a system like the DPS or Korg D32XD, Roland Vs2480 is tactility, control, a degree of accessibility and portability without investing in another PT system. I spent last night digging through various sale pages for a PT setup, nothing in my budget, by the time I get hold of the cards, then cables, then the I/O, either a macbook pro or Mac Pro and some kind of PCIE interface controller unless it's a mac pro, it's still too much to throw at.

Anyway, today's a new day, off to hospital later, hopefully, some point, someone might just answer my prayer. A kind chap here has offered a rack mount recorder which would help if I found a digital console to interface with, just need to get that sorted. but ideally, I need to find an all-in-one. OK perhaps I'm being a bit picky, well, I'm not really. If someone says their machine's A1, sends pics to be looked at which show otherwise, or are photos from another seller, you ask questions.

take care fella.

lew
LewisAlexander2018
Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:58 am

Couple of points...

First, I would be extremely wary of anything on Gumtree. I have heard numerous tales of dodgy dealings and downright fraud. For that reason I've never considered it.

I'm just wondering whether what you want has to be one of these vintage machines. There are still all-in-one units available new in what seems to be your price-range and I'm wondering if you've considered any of those?
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:04 am

LewisAlexander2018 wrote:The whole point of a system like the DPS or Korg D32XD, Roland Vs2480 is tactility, control, a degree of accessibility and portability without investing in another PT system

Have you considered a more modern alternative, such as the Tascam DP24 (https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/tascam-dp24) or DP32 SD (https://tascam.com/us/product/dp-32sd/top)?

I have one of the latter for ad-hoc recording purposes and it's very light and highly portable. However, it can only record on 8 tracks at once, which may make it unsuitable for you if you need more.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, raising money for charity via music created by forum members at https://sosforumalbum.bandcamp.com

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:05 am

Great minds.... :lol:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:06 am

Ah - Mike posted as I was writing that... I wonder why the forum didn't notify me when I submitted the post (it usually does!)

Cheers Mike :clap: :wave:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Bob Bickerton » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:09 am

Yes, it would be useful for the OP to specify his technical requirements, another more painless solution may arise.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby LewisAlexander2018 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:25 am

Bob Bickerton wrote:Yes, it would be useful for the OP to specify his technical requirements, another more painless solution may arise.

Bob

Hi.

Thank you for your comment. I'm aware of what exists currently on the market and nothing new caters directly to what my particular accessibility requirements are. I've been in this field long enough to know this, testing and reviewing equipment :)

The reason behind the slightly older machines is due to motorised faders. I struggle to edit / mix on systems without as I need to feel automation settings. The system needs to be tactile and easy for me to navigate. Spent years working with most of the machines I listed in the original post, either long or short term, so know how they feel and work from an OS perspective, hence not being able to move to a PC based DAW for the same accessibility issues. hence being a Protools HD user for years.

If the DP24 or DP32 had motorised faders, or maybe the zoom L20 which I've heard about recently, I'd go for one of them, but tascam made their position clear, zoom aren't interested in that line of upgrades or more pro hardware.

The one thought I've considered, though not portable as such, would be a radar and sort out a digi console of some description, as functions are keyboard based and would sync to a digi console for automation, to mix down to an SD recorder or something like that. that's more a permanent install, but, if the worst came to the worst, it'd be the zoom l20.
LewisAlexander2018
Poster

Next