You are here

Multitracking using hardware

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Multitracking using hardware

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:07 am

Your missus must be so calm and mellow and sleep well at night. . . . . . . .

If I have 1 tea after lunchtime then by 2am I am still lying awake in bed wondering why I can’t sleep until I remember the tea.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:23 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:Just to underline the outcome of this thread, I bailed on my resolve to wait for NAMM and pulled the trigger on a fairly decent spec audio rackount PC from Scan.
If your experience of Scan's machines is like mine you can forget all this nonsense and just get on with making some music! :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:36 pm

The Elf wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:Just to underline the outcome of this thread, I bailed on my resolve to wait for NAMM and pulled the trigger on a fairly decent spec audio rackount PC from Scan.
If your experience of Scan's machines is like mine you can forget all this nonsense and just get on with making some music! :lol:

Can't wait :bouncy:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby BillB » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:25 am

Eddy, thanks for sharing your adventure, very instructive. I particularly like your idea of occasional updates, having taken full system/disk backups, so you can roll back if any issues.

This might be a dumb question. Can a PC be connected to a local network, but not to the internet? Is there a setting anywhere that would disable internet access? I find I am quite often sharing files between the music and other PCs over the network, so ideally don’t just want to unplug it from the network.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby The Korff » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:39 am

Very easily — you might even be able to do it using the Windows firewall, but safer still (and immune to Windows trying to sneak its way back online) would be to do it through the router itself (you should be able to block your music PC's access to the internet by giving it a static IP address and fannying around with the router settings). I think even a bog-standard 'Home Hub' type router should be able to do that, if you go to its advanced settings.

Cheers!

Chris
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:34 pm

BillB wrote:Eddy, thanks for sharing your adventure, very instructive. I particularly like your idea of occasional updates, having taken full system/disk backups, so you can roll back if any issues.

This might be a dumb question. Can a PC be connected to a local network, but not to the internet? Is there a setting anywhere that would disable internet access? I find I am quite often sharing files between the music and other PCs over the network, so ideally don’t just want to unplug it from the network.

I don't know about my current router but in almost every other case you can include/exclude devices on a LAN at the router. A facility a parent of young kids should be aware of when they say their kids are on Fortnight 24/7 - turn off the WiFi access!
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:05 pm

Yeah, it's pretty easy to disable internet access for specific PCs on just about any router. You might need to configure a static IP address on the PC, but it's also quite possible that it can be done via the MAC address. It depends on the router.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby BillB » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:21 pm

Thanks, folks, I'll look into it. :thumbup:
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby OneWorld » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:51 pm

BillB wrote:Thanks, folks, I'll look into it. :thumbup:

I find some apps seem to need a connection, certainly from time to time. I have a shortcut link to the NIC (Network Interface Card) or if on WifI to the WiFi interface on the desktop, right click on it and disable it. That way when I need to do updates for software I right click, enable again, do the download, right click, disable.

By the way, I was having latency problems, even to the extent of crackling in the audio, even when just dragging within Cubase as a file was playing, I had to work at something like 256 samples if I had more than a couple of VSTi open and I read on the internet "disable the NIC" what that had to do with audio and DAWs I cannot fathom, all I do know is that it worked, now I can to happily work at 32 samples nay problem.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby BillB » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:53 pm

Thanks OneWorld, that performance hit/fix is interesting.

Disabling the NIC has the disadvantage that you not only can't connect to the web, you also can't connect to the local network. But maybe that's why it helps! :headbang:
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:34 pm

OneWorld wrote:By the way, I was having latency problems, even to the extent of crackling in the audio, even when just dragging within Cubase as a file was playing, I had to work at something like 256 samples if I had more than a couple of VSTi open and I read on the internet "disable the NIC" what that had to do with audio and DAWs I cannot fathom, all I do know is that it worked, now I can to happily work at 32 samples nay problem.

Could be down to an inefficient network driver but just as likely it's a side effect of the infamous meltdown/spectre bugs that were discovered in Intel (and other) CPUs a year or so back.

The fix for those bugs involved doing a whole bunch of extra work when an interrupt comes in for the CPU to pay attention to. Network cards generate a lot of interrupts which might well explain it.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:02 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:
OneWorld wrote:By the way, I was having latency problems, even to the extent of crackling in the audio, even when just dragging within Cubase as a file was playing, I had to work at something like 256 samples if I had more than a couple of VSTi open and I read on the internet "disable the NIC" what that had to do with audio and DAWs I cannot fathom, all I do know is that it worked, now I can to happily work at 32 samples nay problem.

Could be down to an inefficient network driver but just as likely it's a side effect of the infamous meltdown/spectre bugs that were discovered in Intel (and other) CPUs a year or so back.

The fix for those bugs involved doing a whole bunch of extra work when an interrupt comes in for the CPU to pay attention to. Network cards generate a lot of interrupts which might well explain it.

Yes I think that was something to do with it. I never read into the whys and wherefores, I just wanted to get the thing (DAW) working. I'd tried all the usual mods as suggested on many websites then I came across this netcard fix, I thought it unlikely to make any changes but sure enough - disabled the card and my latency figures dropped to a fraction of what they were previously.

That being said, and I think it was due to a Windows update, I forgot to disable the card after an update and the NIC was left switched on and yet there was no impact on the DAW latency, so it seems a Win10 update fixed the problem (new drivers?) but when I remember to, I disable the NIC anyway, so as to keep my precious DAW setup away from the net unless absolutely necessary.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Rich Hanson » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:22 am

WiFi interfaces in particular used to have this problem when I was on Windows, due to poor quality drivers with ridiculous DPC latency spikes, but I have encountered it on wired NICs too.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby OneWorld » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:09 am

Rich Hanson wrote:WiFi interfaces in particular used to have this problem when I was on Windows, due to poor quality drivers with ridiculous DPC latency spikes, but I have encountered it on wired NICs too.

Yep, if I remember correctly, it was the wired NIC that caused the problem, the WiFi seemed OK but I kept getting that "Connection established - no internet connection" error (I'm on BT Internet) so went back to the wired option. However, whatever the cause, tyhe problem seems to have gone away.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Previous