You are here

RTA producer desk refinishing and modification.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

RTA producer desk refinishing and modification.

Postby packard76 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:58 pm

I have an old RTA producer workstation that has seen better days. I've removed the top/elevated part (it sucks, too high) but have saved the long board to use if need be.

The material is a press board laminate and it has peeled quite a bit. My goal is to refinish and modify the desktop to eliminate reflection. I really like the size/rack space, and I have an opportunity to turn this into something special. That's where you guys & gals come in.

We're moving at the moment, but will get pics up soon. My first thoughts are, sand it down, coat it with some kind of audio friendly paint, as well as physically modify. But I also want it to look cool, because, you know... Cool points.

So, I'm aiming for sonically friendly with a cool factor, if that makes sense.

Any creative ideas? I'm open to anything.
packard76
Poster

Re: RTA producer desk refinishing and modification.

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:55 pm

I'm not sure about the concept of 'audio friendly paint'? For a surface to have useful acoustic properties (in the case of a recording/mixing space I take that to mean it absorbs troublesome reflections) it needs to be thick enough to absorb those reflections, to absorb anything much below the high mid range is probably needs to be 4" or so thick. Paint ain't that thick.

There was, recently, some discussion in another thread WRT putting an absorber panel on the desk and having a porous (metal mesh was one suggestion) top to place computer monitors, keyboards and mice on. That way the reflections from the desk surface could be neutralised and, hopefully, discouraged from buggering up the stereo image :smirk:

It's worth asking, at this juncture, how well is (or, will be, given that you are moving) the rest of the room treated WRT acoustics?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby packard76 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:40 am

Oh yeah, I have 24 panels of OC 703 at the ready. Will be doubling them up to 4". Measurement mic, all that fun. The only thing left is the work surface. Most likely I'll be tilting it 10 degrees like the the more expensive desks. If that doesn't work, I might break up the flat surface with some OC 703 pieces covered in t-shirt material or something.
packard76
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:26 am

Sounds good, all I can do is refer you back to your 'dual monitor placement' thread which has it 'covered' (pun intended :tongue: ) https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=64457
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........