You are here

ART Voice channel

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

ART Voice channel

Postby j__1290 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:32 am

Hey everyone!

Making a few upgrades to my home setup. I’ve recently purchased a TLM 102 Condensor and need to make an upgrade to my interface/preamp. I’m curious about the quality and flexibility of the ART voice channel. I’m drawn to it based on it being a channel strip, eq, comp etc included. My only issue being I’ve heard some rumours of poor latency when using it as a USB interface with DAW. Can anyone confirm this? I don’t want to spend the cash, only to encounter issues down the line. My other option is the focusrite 18i20.

At the moment I only really record from one or two inputs, but in the future I plan on full drum set ups. Obviously the 8 inputs of the 18i20 will be beneficial in the long run, but I’ll be lacking the extra features that are included in the ART voice channel. I don’t want to have to fork out for separate eq and compression units, but I’m limited in my connection options mainly to USB. Baring in mind I’m upgrading from a simple 2 input presonus audio box, this is a big decision!

Anyone any opinions on what kind of results I’ll achieve with the TLM 102 and ART voice channel? Or would the focusrite be a clearer more transparent sound?

Thanks guys!
j__1290

Re: ART Voice channel

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:04 pm

If you haven't already give this article a look https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/pick-preamp

According to that even budget preamps can produce excellent, release quality, recordings.

Given that all DAWs have excellent eq and compression built in, I would prioritise I/O over other features. The thing 'boutique' preamps usually bring to the table is 'character' (which invariably means 'distortion', but nice distortion) but even that is available in most DAWs.

Finally, has your recording/mixing room got good acoustic treatment? Without a good sounding room money spent on exotic (or even modest) hardware will be wasted.

edit :- This thread discusses acoustic treatment https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=810

Also, what is your current rig?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:21 pm

Here's the SOS review of the ART voice channel (which you've probably already read).
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/art-voice-channel

From all that's said in the review, I certainly wouldn't be using it as my sole audio interface - for a start it doesn't have outputs for speakers! It doesn't have a neutral sound (which is what you want for at least 99% of the time). Maybe get one later and feed it into a line input on your interface.

I'd strongly suggest going for a straightforward interface with low latency that will give you all the inputs you need for drum recording. As Sam says, you can add compression and drive and 'character' within your DAW. With 24-bit recording, you don't need compression when recording to ensure you get both a good s/n ratio and don't overload the inputs. Yes you can do it, but you don't need it.

I bought a Focusrite Platinum Voicemaster Pro channel strip many years ago, and I've never ended up using it in anger, it just sits in my rack, waiting for the time that I might just need another mic input.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby James Perrett » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:28 pm

If you want good preamps on a reasonable budget take a look at the Audient range of interfaces. Most of them can be upgraded to 10 or more channels with the addition of an additional 8 channel preamp connected via the ADAT optical connection. Suitable 8 channel preamps range from the budget Behringer ADA8200 up to Audient's own offerings (the ASP800 or ASP880).
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page