You are here

Using TV as pc Monitor to watch videos

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Using TV as pc Monitor to watch videos

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:41 pm

Not sure if this is the right way round for you but I have one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1 and it does what you'd expect.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ef37a » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:58 am

I have a surround sound DVD player (pan' HT-SA855) and wanted to feed my JVC (smart'ish) TV with component video, it being the next best thing down from HDMI. The component input is on a 3,5mm jack and so I bought the appropriate breakout adaptor. Does not work!
I have to feed the TV via whale **** qualty SCART.

But, I had a similar problem with my son's Lenovo laptop, does not have HDMI but "Mini Display Port". Got the adaptor. No go. Tried it in a "stupid" charity shop Bush FSTV, fine. Back to the JVC and power cycled it. Mini DP then worked.

As soon as I can be A'ed I am going to try the component feed again.

There might be an issue with the frame rate ("refresh rate") but when that happens you usually get an on screen message.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Rich Hanson » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:50 am

Good point about the refresh rate - our big TVs at work do not display any message at all if the refresh rate or resolution they are receiving are out of range, they just go black.

Maybe start at a low resolution and see if that works?
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby mikehende » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:43 pm

I have decided I am simply going to get a regular pc monitor for this guys as they are cheap enough so no need to dig into this any further. I do appreciate you guys trying to help, thanks!
mikehende
Regular

Previous