You are here

Stereo Mix volume Issue with Soundcraft Signature MTK22

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Stereo Mix volume Issue with Soundcraft Signature MTK22

Postby Chromeman » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:31 pm

I recently purchased one of these desks after reading the SOS review and for my needs its a perfect fit apart from one major issue which is that when the analogue summed tracks are recorded back into the DAW as a stereo mix there is a considerable drop in level. I've now discovered whole threads on other forums about this and it'a annoying to say the least. Someone suggested bussing everything to a group output with the group faders at max and this does increase the mix level but it's not ideal. Is this just a design fault? I can still return the desk but I like it and I don't think there's anything similar at this price (£650).
Chromeman
Regular

Re: Stereo Mix volume Issue with Soundcraft Signature MTK22

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:11 pm

It's an analogue desk working with analogue headroom margins. If you don't want the headroom, drive the stereo mix bus harder to send a higher level into the converters... But be prepared for a correspondingly harder sound, too.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Chromeman » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:43 pm

Am I right in assuming then that this is part of the design to allow more headroom when mixing?
Chromeman
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:52 pm

Yes, I believe so.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound