You are here

Studio quality piano recording

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Studio quality piano recording

Postby Ariosto » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:30 pm

John Willett wrote:
Ariosto wrote:Here is a photo of how I record piano - three tracks (stereo and mono - the AKGC414 set to cardioid - and stereo with DPA 2006C omni mics).

Interesting, though, personally, I would not let the cables touch the piano as vibrations can carry up the cables into the mics.

I always use the short Rycote XLR flexible cables to help decouple the mic. from the main (and often inflexible) cable.

Mic positioning depends on the room, especially in the home and you choose what works best for you with the repatoir you play. :thumbup:
Thanks for the tip about not letting the mic cables touch the instrument. (It was a quick test and I also wondered about the mic cables). I think I will record from just outside the piano in future to lessen the risk.

I don't know what happened to my link to the photo, I think it worked for a while and you obviously saw the photo. I thought we had to use outside sources for hosting on here. It has worked OK on Gearslutz. (Perhaps I shouldn't mention that ...)

I see from your added photo I should maybe have used the "IMG" tag.
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:06 pm

Ariosto wrote:Thanks for the tip about not letting the mic cables touch the instrument... I think I will record from just outside the piano in future to lessen the risk.

There is no risk. You just need to fix the cables neatly and tidily to the bar/stand using velcro wraps or tape. It ain't rocket science, just good sound engineering practice!

I don't know what happened to my link to the photo, I think it worked for a while...

No, it didn't. The link you posted originally was only accessible externally by visiting dropbox. I subsequently altered the link to make it viewable directly within the SOS forum post (by changing the dl=0 to dl=1 at the end of the link).

I thought we had to use outside sources for hosting on here.

You do.

I see from your added photo I should maybe have used the "IMG" tag.

The forum software automatically recognises some types of image, but not all, so by bracketing within the IMG tags you can remove any possible confusion.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:32 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:No, it didn't. The link you posted originally was only accessible externally by visiting dropbox. I subsequently altered the link to make it viewable directly within the SOS forum post (by changing the dl=0 to dl=1 at the end of the link).

Will changing the dl=0 to dl=1 work with any images hosted on dropbox? I use dropbox daily but have been hosting images for posting in the forums on tiny pic since dropbox stopped hosting them.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:39 pm

I think the correct form is actually rewrite the link with a download command at the front. so instead of:

Original link: <http://www.dropbox.com/s/4eyqH/MyFile.jpg?dl=0>

It is changed to become New Link: <http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/4eyqH/MyFile.jpg>

However, that's a lot of effort and changing the query to ?raw=1 instead of ?dl=0 does exactly the same thing... the only issue is that some forums don't allow a query statement (?) after the link... hence the <http://dl/...> format.

But ?dl=1 (which forces the download to the browser's forum window) seems to work reliably in the SOS forums with dropbox image files, and it's only a single character change to make.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:11 pm

Ariosto wrote:Image

Forgive the irrelevance but I'd have loved to have a go on that - it looks very similar to the John Broadwood & Sons that I learned on as a child :)
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby Ariosto » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:29 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:
Ariosto wrote:
Forgive the irrelevance but I'd have loved to have a go on that - it looks very similar to the John Broadwood & Sons that I learned on as a child :)
It is in fact a Steinway model "O" which has recently been re-built here in our music room by Steinway, so it sounds like a new piano. We originally bought it 33 years ago, when it had then been re-furbished. It's a German Steinway and we thought 1924 but Steinway has said it is in fact 1923. So in about 4 years time it will be 100 years old (except for all the working parts which are new in 2017).
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:15 pm

Ariosto wrote:It is in fact a Steinway model "O" which has recently been re-built here in our music room by Steinway, so it sounds like a new piano. We originally bought it 33 years ago, when it had then been re-furbished. It's a German Steinway and we thought 1924 but Steinway has said it is in fact 1923. So in about 4 years time it will be 100 years old (except for all the working parts which are new in 2017).

Good to know it's in good hands. A good piano is really something special (and that one particularly so by the sound of it!) :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:22 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I think the correct form is actually rewrite the link with a download command at the front. so instead of:

Original link: <http://www.dropbox.com/s/4eyqH/MyFile.jpg?dl=0>

It is changed to become New Link: <http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/4eyqH/MyFile.jpg>

However, that's a lot of effort and changing the query to ?raw=1 instead of ?dl=0 does exactly the same thing... the only issue is that some forums don't allow a query statement (?) after the link... hence the <http://dl/...> format.

But ?dl=1 (which forces the download to the browser's forum window) seems to work reliably in the SOS forums with dropbox image files, and it's only a single character change to make.

H

Thanks Hugh, will try it next time since I only use tiny pics for the SOS forums.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby CS70 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:41 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:But ?dl=1 (which forces the download to the browser's forum window) seems to work reliably in the SOS forums with dropbox image files, and it's only a single character change to make.

H

Indeed - I've used that method for some time here. Tried to explain it in the old "Display Images" thread at https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=57399&start=14 but guess it got lost in the noise :)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Previous