You are here

Mapping MIDI CC in Kontakt Player

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Mapping MIDI CC in Kontakt Player

Postby LemonMoose » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:05 pm

I'm really hoping someone can help me with this as I'm completely at a loss after several hours of trying to solve this myself...

I'm using Reason 10 with the free Kontakt player and have installed Cinematic Studio Strings VST and it's working fine. In order to control the velocity of legato string notes I would normally use the mod wheel on my MIDI keyboard; that's fine but I am using a Yamaha Clavinova as my MIDI keyboard which doesn't have a mod wheel...

I bought a Korg NanoKontrol2 to solve this problem in the hope that I could program one of the sliders to use instead of a modwheel.

I have installed the NanoKontrol2 fine and even have some of the knobs controlling filters etc. on a Thor synthesiser, the stop, pay, record buttons are also interacting fine with Reason.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to use any of the sliders to control the velocity function in Kontakt though! I've downloaded the Korg Kontrol editor and all the CC mappings are correct, the 'Velocity X-fade' setting in CSS is set to CC1 and, apparently, slider 2 on the NanoKontrol should be changing this but none of the sliders do anything. Please can someone help me?!

Thank you in advance
LemonMoose

Re: Mapping MIDI CC in Kontakt Player

Postby The Elf » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:52 am

You're confusing velocity and volume. You need to map a MIDI Controller number to volume - not velocity.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.