You are here

Anyone using bluetooth with Analog DJ equipment?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Anyone using bluetooth with Analog DJ equipment?

Postby mikehende » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:39 pm

Hey guys, I want to try out using a phone music app to play through my DJ rig and looking into a bluetooth receiver setup for this, any ideas/recommendations please?
mikehende
Regular

Re: Anyone using bluetooth with Analog DJ equipment?

Postby Chevytraveller » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:10 am

I wouldn't trust any bluetooth audio for that kind of application.. especially if playing at volume.. :headbang:

it's ok for headphones, but dropouts(which do and will happen) on a large PA can be damaging for the soundsystem.. plug it in with a cable or use a proper audio device

:bouncy:
Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster
Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy, FabFilter.
Hard: Mostly now all for sale.. but Akai MPC Live, Tasty Chips Gr-1, Roland Promars, AS Telemark,  Eurocrack disease

Postby mikehende » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:24 am

Yeah, that is my worry. I am thinking if that cannot work I might be better off getting a bluetooth speaker but heavy DJ bluetooth speakers are very expensive.
mikehende
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:30 am

The issue is with Bluetooth not the adapter. BT is inherently laggy and potentially flakey WRT connection reliability. It's a domestic protocol, ok for playing audio at home but definitely not in a 'professional' situation.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Chevytraveller » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:38 am

Sam Spoons wrote:The issue is with Bluetooth not the adapter. BT is inherently laggy and potentially flakey WRT connection reliability. It's a domestic protocol, ok for playing audio at home but definitely not in a 'professional' situation.
^This^

Yes.. Bluetooth is a temperamental, domestic communication protocol..
it is not designed for professional use and not robust enough for professional applications

:bouncy:
Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster
Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy, FabFilter.
Hard: Mostly now all for sale.. but Akai MPC Live, Tasty Chips Gr-1, Roland Promars, AS Telemark,  Eurocrack disease

Postby resistorman » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:35 am

The lag is terrible, you can’t do anything that requires timing, like syncing songs...
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby Still Vibrations » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:35 am

A colleague of mine went to see B12 recently and they were controlling a laptop and synths from an iPad. I don't think it was in a large venue though.
Like others, I am suspicious of Bluetooth, I won't even use a bluetooth mouse or keyboard. Gamers won't use a bluetooth or radio mouse or keyboard because they not fast enough and not as accurate.
Still Vibrations
Frequent Poster
"It’s like the whole thing about punk is that you do brilliantly ambitious things very stupidly."  - Maria Damon (I think!)

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:54 am

They were almost certainly using WiFi not BT. I use iPads to control mixing desks via WiFi all the time. It's great and with a dedicated, dual band, router it is pretty robust. The only times I've had connection issues was with 2.4GHz devices, the band BT uses..........
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Still Vibrations » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:59 am

Sam Spoons wrote:They were almost certainly using WiFi not BT. I use iPads to control mixing desks via WiFi all the time. It's great and with a dedicated, dual band, router it is pretty robust. The only times I've had connection issues was with 2.4GHz devices, the band BT uses..........

Many thanks for that correction, I hate implying false information.
Still Vibrations
Frequent Poster
"It’s like the whole thing about punk is that you do brilliantly ambitious things very stupidly."  - Maria Damon (I think!)

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:37 am

:thumbup: I hadn't assumed you thought they used BT, just clarifying for anybody else who might read this thread later.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Chevytraveller » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:45 pm

This is double posted over on the Live Music Forum :headbang:
Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster

Postby zenguitar » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:28 pm

Chevytraveller wrote:This is double posted over on the Live Music Forum :headbang:
Not quite, there is a similar topic with a different OP.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Chevytraveller » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:02 am

zenguitar wrote:
Chevytraveller wrote:This is double posted over on the Live Music Forum :headbang:

Apologies.. my bad :headbang:
Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster

Postby zenguitar » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:10 am

Chevytraveller wrote:
zenguitar wrote:

Apologies.. my bad :headbang:

No need to apologise; nothing wrong with healthy caution, it's one of the many ways the forum regulars are so helpful to the mod team. Never be afraid to flag something up if you have any doubts or concerns, it's helped us out many times.

:thumbup:

zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby mikehende » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:41 pm

Guys, if BT technology is as stated then why are speaker companies like JBL incorporating it into their DJ speakers? JBL in particular as we all know is an industry leader so it's hard for me to think they would invest in this technology if it is not efficient?

I realize this doesn't relate to the topic with BT working with Analog speakers so not questioning that. I am wondering if it's worthwhile to invest in BT technology speakers instead? I was told that JBL now has their 18" subs and tops with BT so now you can play music from them through your phone.
mikehende
Regular

Postby Wonks » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:00 pm

It's an extra option, and for playing back music from a phone it serves a purpose. But it does have a lot of lag, so whilst simply streaming music over it from a single source is fine and you won't notice the lag, the moment you start having to control or react to the music in real time, such as live performance, then the problems begin.

I know nothing about modern DJ kit, but if you are queing tracks using headphones plugged into the mixing desk, then it should still work OK. If you switch to listening to the sound from the speakers though to do that, you will run into problems caused by the delay.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby mikehende » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:08 pm

Yes, I was referring to music playback only for DJing.
mikehende
Regular

Postby Wonks » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:34 pm

Any wireless sytem is never going to be as reliable as a wired arrangement, so unless you have no other option, wired is still the far better way to work.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:40 pm

Typical BT latency is in the region of 20ms and can be considerably more. Not really a problem for listening on your phone but IMO completely unusable for anything timing critical. For your DJ use it may work fine but, as has been said, it is not a robust protocol and in a bar full of smartphones all bets are off so I would not risk it for anything important
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Still Vibrations » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:01 pm

Another thing: if you use the DJ technique of listening to the track playing without headphones, and the track being lined up with headphones, the delay would really be a problem.
Still Vibrations
Frequent Poster

Next