You are here

Budget Amplifiers for Studio Monitors

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Budget Amplifiers for Studio Monitors

Postby James Perrett » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:21 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Bruno Putzeys -- Chief Engineer at Phillips Class D Audio Systems Laboratory -- explains briefly in this Bryston article on the topic of Class-D amps:

http://www.bryston.com/PDF/newsletters/Bryston_Newsletter_V7_4.pdf

I wonder if Bruno is aware of that article? I very much doubt that he would agree with the last few paragraphs which Bryston seem to have added and which look more like audiophile marketing spin. It is very disappointing to see the hijacking of Bruno's article from a company that usually have such a good reputation.

I know that some people consider Bruno's designs to be better sounding that Bryston's and I certainly have no complaints with my self built Hypex based monitor amp.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: Budget Amplifiers for Studio Monitors

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:32 am

Yes, it is quite an odd marketing piece, and I also wondered if that article from Bruno had been used with his knowledge. They seem to be promoting the benefits of well designed class-D amps, and then justify their reasons for not going down that route themselves! Weird!

I agree that the Hypex amps are exceptionally good, and they continue to be developed... But still like beefy Class-AB and between the plasma telly and Bryston 4B SST2, I rarely need to turn the radiators up, let alone light the fire in the lounge! :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Previous