You are here

TouchMix - multiple recording tracks per channel?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: TouchMix - multiple recording tracks per channel?

Postby CS70 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:41 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:Quick question about setting the preamps on the Touchmix (I'm thinking of getting a mixer/recorder jobby like this as my wife's band will be needing a mixer soon and I've always much liked hardware rather than computers for onsite recording). From the pictures it has a separate physical trim knob for each preamp. If I were using it with an ambisonic mic, where the input level of all four channels have to match exactly, could I achieve this? I.e. can you set the level digitally for each channel or at least get a digital readout of each level?

TIA

CC

I think the newest firmware for the TM has brought 15db of digital gain to the 8 as well.. not tried and not sure but maybe worth checking. One more reason to update :)
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:53 pm

CS70 wrote:I think the newest firmware for the TM has brought 15db of digital gain to the 8 as well.. not tried and not sure but maybe worth checking. One more reason to update :)

Yes, I'd read that and thought about it. It might mean that I could set the analogue gain to minimum and use the digital gain to give me the same setting across the four tracks which combined with the hot output of the NT-sf1 would give me what I want. But until someone says for sure that works I can't see me lashing out over 700 squids to find out :)

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A small fish in a small pond.

Postby CS70 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:10 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:
CS70 wrote:I think the newest firmware for the TM has brought 15db of digital gain to the 8 as well.. not tried and not sure but maybe worth checking. One more reason to update :)

Yes, I'd read that and thought about it. It might mean that I could set the analogue gain to minimum and use the digital gain to give me the same setting across the four tracks which combined with the hot output of the NT-sf1 would give me what I want. But until someone says for sure that works I can't see me lashing out over 700 squids to find out :)

CC

Would be happy to lend you mine but I guess Oslo is a little off track for you :D
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Wonks » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:02 pm

Just tell him about the next folk festival there and he'll be over in no time.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:56 pm

You know, he's not so far off the mark :thumbup:

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:14 am

CC, mine is only down the M4 if you want to wander down and play. The digital gain is really handy and a bit of a life saver in live situations. And if the ntsf is quite hot, then the plan might work. The only drawback might be a that the noise floor comes up a bit, but I'm not sure how important that is in a live setting.

:)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:01 am

CC: Could be worth taking-up Dave's offer. One thing you'd need to be sure of is that you're 'at ease' - or could become so - with touchscreen faders. As someone who'd been using physical faders for over 45 years I was never easy with them. That said, it's a brilliant product with so much packed into a very compact little unit.

As an aside: I used a Lacie Rugged (non SSD) and it always worked faultlessly with the Touchmix. Different story with other direct-to-disk recorders though...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:31 am

Dave, I'll very likely do that. Won't be soon as I'm a bit busy right now but I will before I make a buying decision. I'll pm you when I'm ready. Many thanks.

Mike, I suspect I'd be happier with touchscreen faders than the selectors and "value" knob of the DR-680. Good point, though.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Previous