You are here

DIgital Multitrack Recorder with "Track Nudge" or similar

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

DIgital Multitrack Recorder with "Track Nudge" or similar

Postby Wagstar » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:29 pm

I am totally fed up with PC music production from viruses, crashes, connection issues, latency etc...... so I want to look at a Digital Multitrack Recording console, it doesn't need to be new or have loads of mixing capabilities BUT it must have a feature (if it exists?) to be able to nudge or move a single track forward or back (in time). I have a music sequencer that produces studio quality sounds and i can build a song on but I need a Multitrack recorder to record Vocals and Guitars onto. As i would be sending the song track by track (from sequencer to recorder) individually the chance of me getting them all lined up first go would be remote, so I'm looking for a recorder with a feature that would allow me to move tracks up or down in time to make them all line up properly.
Does anyone know if one exists? If so what is it called please? Thank you.
Wagstar

Re: DIgital Multitrack Recorder with "Track Nudge" or similar

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:17 pm

The Tascam DP-24SD (24-track) / DP-32SD (32-track) have this facility: https://tascam.com/us/product/dp-32sd/top

Details in section 8 on page 48 of the manual here: https://tascam.com/downloads/products/t ... _OM_vC.pdf

Annoyingly they don't do MIDI sync, but as they do have onboard editing facilities (cut 'n paste, move etc) as detailed in the manual above, if you can live without MIDI sync then I think they should work just fine for you.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby OneWorld » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:58 pm

I think almost all recorders have an 'insert' option, so you could delete/insert silence at the beginning of the track?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wagstar » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:14 pm

Brilliant, thank you. Just read the review on the DP24 and it looks a winner. Shame the music world is moving more and more towards PC's than dedicated machines. Thanks again.
Wagstar

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:24 pm

Wagstar wrote:Brilliant, thank you. Just read the review on the DP24 and it looks a winner. Shame the music world is moving more and more towards PC's than dedicated machines.

Been there myself :)

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 15&t=64537

In the end I went back to a DAW but on a new PC and for what it's worth, so far that's working out very well for me,
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster

Postby Wagstar » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:18 pm

Hello Eddy, having to reply this way as it says I don't have access to PM as I'm a new member. I have a similar issue, I bought the Roland BR800 thinking I could move the tracks with that but it turns out you can't, I thought I would be ok using the virtual tracks instead of multiple faders, but it turns out I'm not! So I have to sell that machine before I can buy anymore. Thank you for your offer though. Take care, all the best.
Wagstar

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:51 pm

Sure thing - no worries!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster

Postby OneWorld » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:33 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:
Wagstar wrote:Brilliant, thank you. Just read the review on the DP24 and it looks a winner. Shame the music world is moving more and more towards PC's than dedicated machines.

Been there myself :)

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 15&t=64537

In the end I went back to a DAW but on a new PC and for what it's worth, so far that's working out very well for me,

I too was trying to move back to a multi-tracker but have settled on the fact that a DAW offers the best all round recording solutions. It does have the downsides - OS updates trashing everything, issues like each VST seller having a setup procedure where the supporting VST files can end up anywhere, OS unreliability, some software causing problems etc

But once a machine has settled down and most importantly resisting the temptation to spend much of a music session trawling the internet for that one magic bullet VST/VSTi when it is probably already on the DAW already, just haven't taken the time and trouble to learn it properly. Also getting into the habit of regular maintenance - keeping backup and drive images.

Setting up the machine - I have got a few controllers and it has only recently dawned on me that taking time setting up templates makes the whole recording experience much less convoluted and thinking about it, models the multi-tracker method. On a multi-tracker you'll almost always use for example Track1 for Vocals 1, Track 2 for Vocals 2..........Track 6 for bass, Track 7 for lead guitar etc etc etc

And each track will be a channel strip where the same effects/dynamics etc are the only ones available, instead of scrolling through umpteen VST all of which essentially do the same thing.

Where a DAW fails is the lack of immediacy, switch on the PC, it boots to bios, then the OS, then start that DAW software, then load the project. But some audio interfaces now include a recording feature and work as a standalone so if you just want to bang down a track as the inspiration visits you, you can record it without having to crank over the engine and wait for the DAW to get up a full head of steam.

The TASCAM Model 24 is looking especially interesting, if they ever bring out a Model 32 with flying faders then I am making an advance order for it
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)