You are here

Zoom H3-VR

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Zoom H3-VR

Postby The Elf » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:41 pm

I'd be interested in hearing what you capture with it, Mr Concertina, if you feel you can share. In the situations where this device might be useful I doubt that an absolute purity of audio quality would be top of my list.

It's not actually a device that would suit my envisaged use at the moment, but never say never...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Dave B » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:49 pm

It's horrendously tempting for me at the moment. The idea of doing some ambient field recording, then being able to manipulate the results afterwards is something that I'm quite interested in. There's been quite a few times recently when I wanted to record what I heard - something like this would have been very handy to have around.

Sadly, I've missed the boat on one of those - there were some trees down my street and when the wind blew through them, it was uncannily like filtered white noise. I rather fancied capturing that just to fool people ;) but the damned neighbours cut them down ... :(
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:33 pm

Here's the link to the audio from CC's quick test: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x00d4v7qbhxttm2/1st%20H3-VR%20test.wav?dl=0
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Kewl » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:10 am

The Elf wrote:
Kewl wrote:
Mike Stranks wrote:Very worth considering methinks. :)

On sale until the 26th of August (at least in the US and Canada, 28% off).

Where from?

If you can order from Amazon.com https://www.amazon.com/Zoom-H3-VR-Handy ... 07HPDRG11/

I don't know about import fees and taxes you would be charged on top of that...
Kewl
Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:30 am

About 23% currently (plus a handling fee dependent upon the courier/postage used). From November, probably around 40%. :(
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:50 am

Mike Stranks wrote:Here's the link to the audio from CC's quick test: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x00d4v7qbhxttm2/1st%20H3-VR%20test.wav?dl=0

This has been processed to binaural so best listened to on headphones.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
For more information please re-read.

Postby The Elf » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:23 am

In the same way that some poeple don't see 3D, I don't hear front/back. I can hear the L/R movement, but beyond that I would need a visual cue.

That recording sounds nice and clean, and I do think it would be ideal for my purpose as an audience/ambience mic for live gigs, but without an output to my main mixer/recorder to ensure synced recording I'm afraid it's a dead end for me. As a stand-alone I'd like one, but I can't really justify it for the number of times it would be suitable.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:47 pm

The Elf wrote:In the same way that some poeple don't see 3D, I don't hear front/back. I can hear the L/R movement, but beyond that I would need a visual cue.

Very few people perceive accurate front-back (or up-down) positional cues with binaural -- at least, not without the binaural processor working from an accurately derived personal HRTF.

However, if the sound incorporates implied positional information the brain is quite happy to make assumptions -- a moving plane sound will be perceived as being overhead, for example.

But as you say, with unfamiliar source material its almost inevitable that there will be a lot of positional ambiguity.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Wonks » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:14 pm

It's behind you!
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Rich Hanson » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:34 pm

Oh no it isn't!

(Sorry, Pavlovian response there. Just hit me with a banjo.)
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:42 pm

Can assist...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:10 pm

Before you do there's this recorder I wonder if you'll hold it for me ...

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:20 pm

I've been listening to binaural quite a lot lately for one reason or another and what I've found is that while I can't say definitively that a sound is coming from in front or behind me I can say with some certainty it's not in the middle of my head. In fact the sense of actually being there can be quite startling. Binaural can sound far more like being in a space than any stereo recording I've ever listened to. That's the real gain for me.

Of course this may be all psychoacoustics and I'm just fantasising this by virtue of knowing it's a binaural recording, but I don't think so (maybe cue some double-blind testing somewhere downstream). Either way, of course, YMMV.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:05 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:I've been listening to binaural quite a lot lately for one reason or another and what I've found is that while I can't say definitively that a sound is coming from in front or behind me I can say with some certainty it's not in the middle of my head. In fact the sense of actually being there can be quite startling. Binaural can sound far more like being in a space than any stereo recording I've ever listened to. That's the real gain for me.

Yes, I'll definitely go with that as a major benefit of binaural. :-)

The Beeb went through a phase of making lots of binaural recordings in the early 80s and again in the late 90s... it seems to be an idea that gets recycled every couple of decades or so.

It can certainly produce some very involving listening experiences... and I've seen listeners quite literally jump off their chairs to avoid the source of a sound in the recording but which they thought was really in the room with them!

Sometimes, though, that sense of involvement can be too much and people seem to become weary of it after a while -- much like the exaggerated ping-pong stereo of the 1960s.

Binaural recording is certainly fun, though! I have a Sennheiser dummy head for the purpose which always attracts very strange looks when I set it up!

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:22 pm

The Beeb did an episode of Dr Hugh, sorry, Who back in 2017 in binaural. Not available online now but you can find a slightly condescending trailer for it here.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:54 pm

BBC Wales got very excited about immersive media for a while... :-)
Hugh Robjohns

Postby The Elf » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:45 am

Disney do (did? Still there?) an amazing headphone audio experience in 'Conservation Station' where you are aurally set down in a rainforest to hear the sounds all around you. That's the best I've heard beyond that amazing old 'garage door' demo that caused a few spilled teas and coffees over the years.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:17 am

The Elf wrote:Disney do (did? Still there?) an amazing headphone audio experience in 'Conservation Station' where you are aurally set down in a rainforest to hear the sounds all around you.

That kind of thing works really well in binaural because the individual sounds don't need to be perceived with accurate spatial positions, and it doesn't matter if different people perceive different locations.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby The Elf » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:21 am

The tiger breathing down your neck definitely seems to be right behind you! :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:28 pm

Listening to CC's recording I was initially convinced that I could tell that he was walking round the back of the mic, then I jumped to another point and jumped back and realised that actually I could only identify distance not location. A triumph of brain over hearing! ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

PreviousNext