You are here

Zoom H3-VR

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Zoom H3-VR

Postby MOF » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:41 pm

In the same way that some poeple don't see 3D, I don't hear front/back. I can hear the L/R movement, but beyond that I would need a visual cue.
I listened to some binaural material recently with a view to buying an ambisonic microphone and couldn’t get any sense of sound image in front of me. Left, right, behind me, no problem.
MOF
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:46 pm

The reason I bought an ambisonic mic (and more recently the H3-VR) had little to do with surround sound in any format. Instead it was about the way you can create virtual mics in the ambient space for use in normal stereo recordings. I have to say I'm well pleased with how this worked out, but the whole binaural thing came along later and turns out to be a rather "nice to have" additional feature.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
For more information please re-read.

Postby Stratman57 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:03 am

OK, you guys have got me really intrigued by this. I've gone back and searched Ambisonics on the SOS site and read up on the subject, especially the Zoom device.

Now I'm thinking of a specific application, and that is, I did a preproduction theatre piece set in the Lake District Fells, and I had sound effects that I could play in in stereo, but I'm wondering if I recorded some ambient sounds in the field, would I be able to realistically reproduce it with 4 separate feeds to powered speakers. I have a Behringer XR18, and 2 X Maui G11 MK2 and 2 X Studiospares 15A active cabs.

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:27 am

Stratman57 wrote:I'm wondering if I recorded some ambient sounds in the field, would I be able to realistically reproduce it with 4 separate feeds to powered speakers.

Yes. Ambisonic recordings can be decoded to any desired number of outputs, depending on the capabilities of the decoding software. Four cardinal outputs shouldn't be a problem.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby blinddrew » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:04 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Four cardinal outputs shouldn't be a problem.
There's some kind of Richelieu / rich lows joke here but I've not had enough coffee yet.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Wonks » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:25 am

"Nobody expects the ambisonics inquisition!"............"Nobody expects the ambisonics inquisition!"

"Nobody expects the ambisonics inquisition!"............"Nobody expects the ambisonics inquisition!"
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:36 am

:clap: :lol:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Dan LB » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:38 pm

:lol:
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:55 pm

Well, that was certainly unexpected.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
For more information please re-read.

Postby MOF » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:51 pm

Yes. Ambisonic recordings can be decoded to any desired number of outputs, depending on the capabilities of the decoding software. Four cardinal outputs shouldn't be a problem.

I went to an ambisonic demonstration many years ago and I seem to remember that the placement of speakers was proscribed. The two front speakers were at (L-R) 315º and 45º and the rear speakers were at 135º and 225º they were all above your head pointing down at you, I seem to remember. I can't find anything on the web to confirm this.
MOF
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:20 pm

MOF wrote:I went to an ambisonic demonstration many years ago and I seem to remember that the placement of speakers was proscribed. The two front speakers were at (L-R) 315º and 45º and the rear speakers were at 135º and 225º they were all above your head pointing down at you, I seem to remember. I can't find anything on the web to confirm this.

The speaker feeds are decoded from the B-format (or higher order) ambisonic format specifically for any given number and location of speakers. Its just a load of matrix calculations and some filtering -- very easy in the digital domain.

The arrangement of speakers is normally expected to be symmetrical left/right and front/back, but the four channel decoders I've used have had facilities to cope with square or rectangular arrays, and the latter with the long axis fore-aft or left-right. The Meridian B-format/UHJ decoder I use now can decode to 4, 5, 6, or 7 speaker layouts, with a lot of flexibility in actual speaker positions. I have it set up to decode to a fairly conventional ITU 5 channel layout.

Four speakers is the minimum for horizontal soundfield's, but can suffer from unstable imaging at positions between the speakers, especially atbthe sides. The more speakers available to the decoder, the more accurate and stable the spatial imagining will be... and there are decoders that can derive height channels as well, of course...
Hugh Robjohns

Postby MOF » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:51 pm

and there are decoders that can derive height channels as well, of course...

Thanks Hugh, I can't remember if there were any additional speakers to create height information, in my mind that is why the speakers were above us pointing down, but as I say this was some time between 1984 & 1991.
MOF
Regular

Postby cyrano.mac » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:20 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:Cheapest place to get one from I found in the UK was Amazon at £291.

It's 271£ at Thomann's.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/zoom_h3_vr.htm
cyrano.mac
Regular

Previous