You are here

Track/Channel layout for recording, mixing and live?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Track/Channel layout for recording, mixing and live?

Postby Wonks » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:05 pm

I'm normally with you, Drew. vocals first.

Though I'm sure if doing this professionally at large stage level, I'm sure it helps to have a standardised way of laying things out, so if mixing person A has to leave the desk, mixing person B can step in and immediately know where the faders should be. And on a big live desk, (say 32-48 channels plus sub-busses), with you sat in the middle of the desk, having the most feedback-prone mics channel on the far left and out of direct view isn't the best way to arrange things. Obviously Far less of an issue with an 8-16 channel compact desk don at the Dog and Duck.

But if you are used to the big desks, then you'll use the same methodology on the smaller desks, and you'll pass that methodology on to others.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby blinddrew » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:16 pm

Ah, yes, that makes a lot of sense.
Thanks Wonks :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:57 pm

When I've used bigger 'split' desks (up to a 40 channel ML3000) I always liked to have the vocals as the first channels to the right of the master section, if not I like them in the middle close to the master section. These days, with digital, I'll have them near the middle/right but with the LCD scribble strips colour coded.

I've never thought of swapping fader caps, brilliant idea :clap: , though I probably would have lost at least one in the process :headbang: I just used to use coloured LX tape to draw the eye and label the vox channels.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Previous