You are here

id14 Interface Levels not matchng

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

id14 Interface Levels not matchng

Postby Rockazella » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:52 am

Hi!

New to this. The dB level reading on my mic input reads higher than the main mix output unless I slide the mic up to +6. Why would I need to +6 it to get the same on output?
Rockazella

Re: id14 Interface Levels not matchng

Postby zenguitar » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:17 pm

Probably nothing to do with the iD14. What DAW are you using? It could be an issue with the pan law in your DAW or another setting in your DAW workflow. Other smarter brains should be along shortly.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Wonks » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:33 pm

It will be down to the pan law. On mono tracks some DAWs add the selected pan law value (3dB, 6dB etc. ) to the full left or right pan settings, with no gain in the centre. Others drop the centre value by the selected pan law value, with the no-gain value at full left or right pan.

Neither is wrong or right, it's just how they work, but you need to be aware of how it's working.

Also, i know in Cubase, (so probably most other DAWs) you can choose to have the channel metering before or after the pan section. With it before, you always see the input signal value (which is important when feeding into plug-ins that model physical hardware). With it after, you see what's being sent to the master bus, so that with that track solo'd, and central or full L or R panning, the track and master meters should coincide.

Nothing is done to the actual signal levels except by the pan control; you just need to be aware of what's going on.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Rockazella » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:33 pm

Thank you!
I was not even in a DAW but just observing this on the included id14 interface. When on center pan it reduces by 6 I guess. When I slide left or right the signal matches up. So be it.
Rockazella