You are here

Clicking noise through id14

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Clicking noise through id14

Postby Rockazella » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:52 pm

I have noticed a faint, rapid clicking noise through my monitors when plugged in to id14. Just the monitor, not the headphone. I can change it by changing my PCs power setting: High Performance it's louder, and on Power Saver it's mostly non-existent. What would this be?

bad PSU?

I have all my components plugged in to a single outlet to prevent ground-loops.
Rockazella

Re: Clicking noise through id14

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:44 pm

Running everything from a single wall socket certqinly helps to minimise the risk of a ground-loop, but doesn't eliminate it completely. Clearly the noise source is the computer, but as its not audible in the headphones the noise is probably getting directly into the monitors -- most likely through a ground loop -- rather than into the interface itself.

If you're not using balanced cables between the interface and the speakers, then please do. That may well cure the problem.

However, if you're already using balanced cables, then you'll probably need to break the cable screens to interrupt the ground-loops. You can do that by snipping the cable screens inside the TRS or XLR plugs, ideally at the speaker ends, or use a transformer isolating box like the ART DTI or similar.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound