You are here

Best way to connect an audio interface to a mixer

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Best way to connect an audio interface to a mixer

Postby garrettendi » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:07 pm

So new plan for my punk band. I'd like a nice tasty synth! When it comes to recording I'll be using MIDI from a keyboard into a softsynth on my main studio PC, so no issues there.

The tricky bit is rehearsals. I can't justify nor afford to buy a hardware synth, especially as I already have a few very good softsynths. So the plan is to connect the keyboard USB MIDI out into my laptop, then run the laptop into the mixer that we use for "silent rehearsals".

Obviously that will introduce the issue of latency, and I have an ASIO interface that brings the latency right down to an unnoticeable time. So what is the best way to connect the interface to the mixer?

The interface is a Behinger UMC204HD and the mixer is a Tascam DP-24SD (technically a multitrack but it doubles nicely as a live mixer for rehearsals).

There are three outputs on the Berry, a headphone output, an RCA output or the monitor outputs (I think these are balanced TRS). I already have a stereo TRS to 2x mono TS cables, but I don't have anything that uses RCA cables.

I only have the one TRS cable that is already being used, and I assume the monitor outs would not be a good idea straight into the balanced line inputs of the Tascam.

So my faourite idea is to use the TRS/TS-TS Y-cable from the headphone output into two of the Tascam's tracks. This would also keep any stereo panning intact. The Berry has a dedicated volume knob for headphones so gain staging shouldn't be an issue.

Am I barking up the wrong tree with this?
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Re: Best way to connect an audio interface to a mixer

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:21 pm

I connect my Behringer interface to a mixer all the time... it's actually why I bought it.

You'll be fine connecting the monitor outs to the line-ins on the mixer. They're directly compatible and it won't be an issue at all. Using non-techy speak the monitor outs are line-level outputs so absolutely no problem.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby garrettendi » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:43 pm

So a simple TRS from the Main Line out to an input on the DP-24SD is the best option?

I can get a second TRS cable from GAK on Saturday as I imagine at some point the SOSMeet will end up there! But I'd prefer to use the Y-cable from the headphones if it's at all feasible, as I already have one of those!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby Wonks » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:06 pm

Do it properly!
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby garrettendi » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:08 pm

Wonks wrote:Do it properly!

I assume that's a vote for the TRS cable?

Ok... Well seeing as the SOSMeet this Saturday will end up at GAK at some point I'll get the £4 Stagg one.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:33 pm

garrettendi wrote:stereo TRS to 2x mono TS cables

You need one of these? I've got loads, you can have one. I'll bring it along on Saturday :)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby garrettendi » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:34 pm

Nope I've got enough of those! Its a TRS cable I need. Only got the one and it's reserved for my Art HeadAmp4!

EDIT: Fancy a trip to GAK on Saturday? ;) They do 'em for £4
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:36 pm

Ah, I'm sure I've got a TRS cable floating around in a box under the desk too. We can certainly take a jaunt to GAK at some point though if you like.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby garrettendi » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:38 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:Ah, I'm sure I've got a TRS cable floating around in a box under the desk too. We can certainly take a jaunt to GAK at some point though if you like.

Well if you have one spare and I take it off your hands I have no need to go to GAK! I don't want to be a trouble though, but if you did have a spare cable I'd hugely appreciate it, and I'll buy you a beer for your generosity!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:55 pm

Cheaper to buy a Stagg TRS cable these days!
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby garrettendi » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:57 pm

Wonks wrote:Cheaper to buy a Stagg TRS cable these days!

But of the two, I'd rather pay for the beer!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:58 pm

Getting a free cable and buying a mate a beer can be two unconnected items in the family exchequer........
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby garrettendi » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:01 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Getting a free cable and buying a mate a beer can be two unconnected items in the family exchequer........

Exactly! And buying a beer is a sociable thing!

On a more serious note, I probably would have offered to buy Eddy a pint at some point anyway, so it's still a free cable technically!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:40 pm

garrettendi wrote:So new plan for my punk band.
Synths in a punk band?! The world has gone mad! :headbang: :lol: ;)
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby garrettendi » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:42 pm

I got the idea from a punk band I discovered today. Thinks it's "Atom and His Package"
garrettendi
Frequent Poster