You are here

Cheap or free drum samples/player?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Cheap or free drum samples/player?

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:33 pm

Not sure anyone has mentioned XLN Addictive Drums, one of my favourites. I have Slate, EZ, Analog Drums plus all the excellent Logic ones and still go to AD more often than not.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby OneWorld » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:43 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:No need for sample import if the built on ones are decent.

BTW has anybody got an opinion of the sounds on the Roland TD-11? John is unimpressed, they sound ok to me but WTF do I know about drums, they're just the noisy things I'm compelled to drown out with my two 100 watt Marshall stacks ;)

The ones that are there are decent, but it is a limited set
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:23 pm

Owen has Addictive Drums, John would like it but has very limited funds so it's a none starter sadly.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby OneWorld » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:53 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Owen has Addictive Drums, John would like it but has very limited funds so it's a none starter sadly.

I used to use the free version of XLN and it remains one of my favourite drum VSTs but again, had to give it up because of it being such a limited kit. I would have bought the full version except I got a good deal on BFD, but I never got on with it, I ended up buying Groove Agent 4 which was sort of over-egging the pudding then realised Groove Agent SE came free with Cubase anyway, but somehow I am reluctant to let MT Power Drums go, it is simple, quick, uses hardly any resources and great for getting a drum track down quickly. Had I been able to drag my own samples onto it, I would have abandoned all the rest of the drum VSTs I have, I cannot understand why MT Powerdrums fell by the wayside, just down to marketing I guess.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:01 pm

Yeah, I had BFD and like you just couldn't get on with it at all.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby GreyLion » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:33 pm

If you're willing to use VSTs, you may want to check out the two kits from Audio Assault. Both sound excellent, IMHO, and are thoroughly tweakable.

Their Druminator isn't just for metal, and it's on sale for $9 right now. Westwood drums is my goto when first laying down tracks. It's $35 right now, but AA offers frequent roating sales, so it'll be around $10 again in the near future, I'm sure.

https://www.audio-assault.com/druminator.php
GreyLion

Postby ef37a » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:14 pm

I bought BFD Eco many moons ago and my son thought it pretty good.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Zukan » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:43 pm

I'm still on Battery 3 and it suits all my needs.
Zukan

Previous