You are here

Yamaha 01v96 - still relevant?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Yamaha 01v96 - still relevant?

Postby Chromeman » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:26 pm

How do older Yamaha mixers like the 01v96 stack up against the likes of the Behringer X32 or the AH Qu series? I've always fancied getting one but the prices were too high - now I see them on ebay for as little as £350/400 which is nothing for all those motorised faders and fx etc. I suppose apart for the 'i' version they require an audio interface but are the modern mixers just easier to use?
Chromeman
Regular

Re: Yamaha 01v96 - still relevant?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:17 pm

The 01V96 was really designed as a studio console rather than a live-sound desk, and it's operating paradigm can make it a bit clunky to use in a live-sound situation. Beasts like the Qu and X32 are much more live-sound oriented and -- being much later designs -- also benefit from developments in user interface thinking and control and display components (particularly in terms of the displays).

However, the 01V96 (and other Yamaha consoles of the same era) do have excellent technical and sonic performance as well as very flexible connectivity options and easily match that of the QU and X32.

For what it's worth, I have a DM1000 (the next model up from the 01V96) and have no reason or expectation to change it anytime soon -- but although I have used it on occasion for presentations and conferences, as well as some broadcast work, I wouldn't really want to use it for a live gig if I had the option of something more modern and purpose-designed... (I've grown to accustomed to remote control with an iPad for starters ;-) )

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ronmac » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:36 pm

I am still happily using a 01V96VCM, both live and in the studio, after a decade + of trouble free service.It performs well above the price I could get on the used market and, as Hugh states, it still stands up in most regards to the latest products in the same class.

Interestingly, I have been able to make it iPad friendly, albeit in a less than elegant manner.
ronmac
Regular
Turn the knobs 'til the music moves ya.

Postby OneWorld » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:13 pm

Chromeman wrote:How do older Yamaha mixers like the 01v96 stack up against the likes of the Behringer X32 or the AH Qu series? I've always fancied getting one but the prices were too high - now I see them on ebay for as little as £350/400 which is nothing for all those motorised faders and fx etc. I suppose apart for the 'i' version they require an audio interface but are the modern mixers just easier to use?

Given the prices they are going for I reckon they represent good value. I traded mine in for an 02r96 because I got a great deal. But the 02r96 was a monster of a thing and I decided to go In The Box, so I sold the 02r96 and bought an Mackie MCU Pro. What I hadn't taken into account was the loss of the 16 faders (in the case of the 01v96)

For the cost of an 01v96 you get a DAW controller with 16 faders, what is missing of course is the transport controls. But the 01v96 has 8 configurable buttons, albeit tiny ones. My point being for less than the cost of a good used MCU Pro you're getting a 16 fader controller, that integrates extremely well with Cubase, and a mixer thrown in.

As for the 01v96i being an audio interface as well, I would go for that model but cannot get many user experiences regarding latency, though being a mixer with 16 analogue in +8 ADAT IO + the possibility of another 16 ADAT IO by way of the MY16-AT card all incoming signals can be monitored at source anyway. Additionally, I came across a USB gizmo on t'internet some place and it allowed for a mixer such as the 01v96 with a USB connection to be used as an 8io interface as well - again, I couldn't get any user experience though and at £100'ish, though it too much to risk spending if it proved to be un-suitable

All in all, I reckon the 01v96 is a good piece of kit, and reliability? it never let me down over something like 4 years of use.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Chromeman » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:15 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely on the lookout for one at the moment. Are there noticeable differences between the original and the VCM models which obviously go for more?
Chromeman
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:13 pm

The VCM upgrade was originally a cost option to mixers running V2 firmware, but was later installed as standard. Basically, the VCM software added some new and improved effects modes. Details here:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/yamaha-digital-mixer-upgrades

Whether you think those effects would be useful to your situation, and worth the higher price, will be down to you.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Chromeman » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:26 pm

Thanks Hugh, I think they are worth it. I've always like the Yamaha REVX reverb, I used to have a Yamaha N12 which I think had reverb based on the REVX and which would have been a killer desk if it had had motorised faders and 16 channels.
Chromeman
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:09 am

Chromeman wrote:Thanks Hugh, I think they are worth it. I've always like the Yamaha REVX reverb, I used to have a Yamaha N12 which I think had reverb based on the REVX and which would have been a killer desk if it had had motorised faders and 16 channels.

I agree, the N12 was a lovely piece of kit but for those glaring ommissions - no motorised faders and full 16 channels. Apparently you could get 16io over the firewire interface but I think 4 of the channels had to use an AUX input so you forfeited some inputs in order to get the full 16io

I had the N12 before I got the 01v96 and as far as controlling the DAW, it (N12) wasn't that good, the 01v96 worked a treat, but why oh why Mr Yamaha, why did you make a mixer with a remote layer but no transport controls!

If Yamaha had taken the best of the N12 and the 01v96 and combined them into one product they would have been years ahead of the competition.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Chromeman » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:50 pm

What are the FX like on the Behringer? Are they likely to be on a par with the 01v96?
Chromeman
Regular

Postby John Willett » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:49 pm

Chromeman wrote:What are the FX like on the Behringer? Are they likely to be on a par with the 01v96?

No
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Postby Janneman » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:40 pm

Hello,

just spend 2 days working with a 01v96. it's a nice device. But working on the little screen is very difficult and will cost a lot of time.

the sound is very good.

I prefer the more modern devices and prefer the Soundcraft UI24r. Software is great and easy to understand.

regards
Janneman
Regular
Kind regards,   Jan van Duren

Postby Chromeman » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:15 pm

I ended up buying one pretty cheaply, it's the VCM model and once I'd learnt the routing, I now find it straightforward to use in conjunction with Studio Manager for setting FX parameters which is fiddly on the small screen. I've got it linked to a Motu 828 using analogue, ADAT and SPDIF connections and it all works without a hitch so I can route about 20 channels from my DAW for mixing. However, having said all that I have questioned the wisdom of having a digital mixer and will probably end up at some stage moving to a RME interface with something like a Faderport.
Chromeman
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:19 pm

Chromeman wrote:I have questioned the wisdom of having a digital mixer and will probably end up at some stage moving to a RME interface with something like a Faderport.

That's what I did, I went from Mackie 24:8:2 to a Yamaha N12 - seeing as this was meant to integrate with Cubase - why no flying faders, why the 16 firewire channels but only 12 faders?

then onto an 01v96 - sold to me as integrating with Cubase but no transport controls - DUH!

Then onto an 02r96 - yes has transport controls, but a monster and started acting up - it froze up

I then went in the box by way of an 01X, then not long after Yamaha discontinued it.

So that was replaced by a Zoom R24 - which basically proved to be a toy and no MIDI.

I then went to a TASCAM DP24 - great but no flying faders and the sync between the DP and Cubase was flakey, I had sort of hoped I could use the DP24 as a quasi control surface and though I got basic controls working, it was intermittent.

Then I got the Mackie MCU Pro but I am now using the ICON QCON which I think is far superior.

I do miss the 24 flying faders of the 02r96, I am constantly banking back and forth.

However, I have now included a Launchpad into my setup, along with the ICON and I can instantly access any of 32 channels, whether MIDI/Audio/VST/Group/FX. And I used the other buttons as dedicated controls, including macros, so for example I can delete a take, return to zero and re-record all with one button press.

With some work, using a control surface like the MCU Pro/Icon etc, together with some smaller controllers I can have a good working setup, especially if I place more reliance on templates. For example I got a cheap (£20) UC-33 which I use as a control strip for my UAD plug-ins, I can select any Audio/VST/FX channel and bring up the UAD plugin and all the controls on the UC-33 are mapped to one of 4 basic plugins I use.

My ideal would be a 24 channel mixer, with 24 flying faders, at least 16io interface, transport controls, a DAW layer and 24 channel recording. The Presonus Series 3 comes as close as is possible to that and it supports several DAWs - but not Cubase!!!

I think it's a message to me - forget the search for the ideal mixer and concentrate on learning and refining the setup I already have.

if I were to go for a mixer it would be the Tascam Model 24, simply because it is a multi-tracker that allows both recording on the desk itself or a DAW, but I would keep my control surface and use it as I do now, everything in banks of 8 and using the control surface user definable buttons to leap instantly to any bank in an ad hoc fashion.

Because I have....

Bank 1 - MIDI
Bank 2 - Audio
Bank 3 - VST
Bank 4 - Drums
Bank 5 - Group Faders
etc

So now it is easy to remember what is in which bank, that's the beauty of templates I guess
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)