You are here

Recording electric guitar in an untreated room

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Recording electric guitar in an untreated room

Postby _Shifter_ » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:05 pm

blinddrew wrote:So getting back to your question, sorry about that, what are you trying to achieve with the double tracking? Is it a requirement of the genre (e.g. the metal example you quote)? Or is it for another aesthetic aspect? Or is it just because?
If you've got two guitar parts then you can achieve a very full and balanced sound by panning one hard left, the other hard right but then panning their reverbs to the opposite sides.

Well, I am currently listening to a lot of Hoobastank and feel in love with their guitar tone on Crawling in the Dark. It is thick, tight with nice definition to me. That's a tone that I would like to achieve for our recordings. Having compared my recordings, I think there is a lot of bottom, but there is not that broad, thick tone. I really hope that I can fill some frequencies with quadtracking. And yes, we do not play metal, but some kind of Hardrock that needs to have definition/tightness. To cut a long story short, I really like that thick tone with lots of mids although I do not want to copy it.
_Shifter_
Poster

Re: Recording electric guitar in an untreated room

Postby Wonks » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:10 pm

You won't fill in frequencies if you just play the same chords in the same positions. You are more likely to loose definition.

Change guitars, play the next inversion, change the EQ on the amp etc.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Previous