You are here

Recommendations for a Vocal Mic to record meditations

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Recommendations for a Vocal Mic to record meditations

Postby Baldo » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:02 pm

I 'm looking for recommendations for microphones to record spoken voice for meditations.

At the moment I have a Red Audio RV6 which I have had for several years. Nothing wrong with it and it does the job. It cost about £50 when i bought it.

I am just wondering if I can get something better. I want something that gives a rich, smooth, relaxing result. Budget wise, I'm open for now, willing to look at anything less than £1K really.

Other suggestions are also welcome, such as using plugins for Logic Pro X to get the desired result.

Thanks for your advice.
Baldo.
Baldo
Regular
"Never put a recording studio in your home, it is a black hole into which you can pour unlimited amounts of money" Pete Waterman.

Re: Recommendations for a Vocal Mic to record meditations

Postby Bob Bickerton » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:14 pm

Given your description I’d be thinking a nice dynamic microphone, worked reasonably close, and I enjoy the Shure SM7b for this purpose: https://www.thomann.de/gb/shure_sm_7b_studiomikro.htm. Depending on your preamp, you may need an in-line booster.

Other alternatives might be a neutral condenser such as a Neumann TLM193 (second hand for your budget) or a ribbon microphone.

In terms of processing, a little compression should be all you need - it’s then down to your performance.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:31 pm

As you will probably discover from subsequent responses there are numerous mics that would probably fit the bill. It's often about the 'fit' of voice and mic.

But I agree with Bob... with spoken word be very conservative with post-production tweaks. Less is usually more.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby John Willett » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:38 pm

As you are in London, go along to The Studio Shop or KMR and try a few.

The Gefell M930 would be good for this, as would the Neumann TLM 102 or 103 and these are all under £1k.

Both KMR and The Studio Shop would have these available for you to try and the staff in both shops are very helpful.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Postby resistorman » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:33 am

There are probably dozens of mics under 1k that sound great. You should narrow it down somehow. Start with these thoughts. Are you in a well treated room with no background noise? A condenser mic is fine then. If not, a less sensitive dynamic close up might work better.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby Baldo » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:28 pm

I agree there are several that could do the job, what I am after are recommendations of Mics to consider.

I am in a reasonably treated room where there no external noise coming in. The only noise that I have if from a PC fans but even that can be eliminated if the mic pics it up. I can just use a lap top instead. My Mac Book Pro is wonderfully silent.

I am not based in London any more. I Brexited!!! However I do get to London on a regular basis.

If I get the Mic from Thomann.de I always have 30days to send it back if I dont't like it and it does not suit my needs.

Let me know of any other suggestions that you guys have. I just want a list from people who have used these and have some experience of the mic.

Many thanks
Baldo
Regular
"Never put a recording studio in your home, it is a black hole into which you can pour unlimited amounts of money" Pete Waterman.

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:43 pm

Ok; so do you want an up-close-and-personal sound or more Radio-4-Newsreader?
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Baldo » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:09 pm

I want a smooth rich resonant full sound.
Baldo
Regular

Postby Ramirez » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:29 pm

John Willett wrote:The Gefell M930 would be good for this, as would the Neumann TLM 102 or 103 and these are all under £1k.

That’s quite a price range though, and none of them are priced close to each other! I can’t find the Gefell for under £1k anywhere either.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby Wonks » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:33 pm

I have a feeling that John Willett tends to think in pre-VAT prices.

Though it seems to go for around £1069 with VAT, so not too far over budget.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:00 pm

Has to be set to OMni, of course.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby kludge » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:35 pm

1. Meditation is quiet, and meditation is not a thing to be disturbed. So the main issue for the application is likely getting the microphone pretty far back from the person speaking so that he can ignore it and concentrate on what he is doing.

2. Do not be afraid to use EQ to get the voice character that you want. However, if the mike pattern is very wide in the 100 Hz range and you boost around 100 Hz in order to get a deeper and more resonant sounding voice, you are setting yourself up for feedback issues.

3. Therefore I would look at microphones whose working pattern is as tight as possible in that range. If you can't afford a Schoeps Colette or a Sennheiser 441, you might be able to afford an EV N/D 86. But if you have something like an RE-20 in the junk box, I'd try it.
kludge

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:23 pm

but watch out for the mani padme HUM.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A small fish in a small pond.

Postby Wonks » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:47 pm

Of course you can just say it once, then sample and play back as a MIDItation.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853