You are here

Mentors Needed.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Mentors Needed.

Postby phaatjo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:47 am

I am a newbie in the home recording thing. I want to start a home studio. I need some suggestions for:
1. The best signal flow to achieve a great sounding recording
2. The overall budget for everything I need to get is $4000.
3. Using some outboard processors versus using all processors on the computer which is better.
4. I need people that can groom me to becoming a great producer /mix and mastering engineer.

Thank you.
phaatjo

Re: Mentors Needed.

Postby Humble Bee » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:14 am

Hello!

There is a lot to setting up and learning to use a home studio.

My best advise would be to buy and read these two books by Mike Senior:

Recording secrets for the small studio

http://www.cambridge-mt.com/RecordingSecrets.htm

Mixing secrets for the small studio

http://www.cambridge-mt.com/MixingSecrets.htm

Then you will learn what it takes regarding equipment and technique. There is a lot to learn. Especially where to spend money and where not to. So don't spend your $4 grand straight away before knowing what you need...

This forum is a great place to share and learn!

Good luck! :thumbup:
Humble Bee
Regular

Re: Mentors Needed.

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:21 am

Yup, :thumbup:

FWIW The most important thing when making 'release quality' recordings is the material and performance, then the room acoustics, then the recording engineers skill and finally (10% or less) the equipment.

So buy some inexpensive gear, audio interface and microphone (unless it's electronic instrumental music) some good monitors and/or headphones, download Reaper and go to it.

But, to answer your original question, some one to one with a good teacher will be time (and money) well spent too. But to get the best out of that you should have the basics worked out so see above.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........