You are here

Multi-track recording on the cheap

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Multi-track recording on the cheap

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:44 pm

https://www.zoom-na.com/products/production-recording/multi-track-recorders/zoom-r16-recorder-interface-controller

Definitely records 8 discrete tracks - I owned one several years ago. Records to SD card or via USB to computer, but not both at the same time!
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby dallascaley » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:58 pm

Thanks Mike, I do see that it says 8 tracks simultaneously so this is in the category of devices i will consider. So, the main advantage I can see with this device over the Behringer UMC1820/Mac Laptop setup is that if I wanted to go record a live show I wouldn't have to worry about lugging around my Macbook and worrying about it getting stolen or beer spilled on it... which is definitely a good thing.

It does cost about $130 more however (at the moment on sweetwater). I also like that it can record to usb sticks so that's a huge advantage because i'm always running out of space on my mac and there is no cheap way to upgrade that.

hmm, gotta think about this. Two good choices in my price range so far.
dallascaley

Postby Bob Bickerton » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:24 pm

Yep, if you only need to record eight tracks and do not need a mixer, then a stand-alone recorder would be the way to go. I have the Zoom F8 and it’s a reliable piece of kit. I’d certainly go for that over Behringer gear.

I also have the Soundevices MixPre eight track recorder, which is a step up again.

Something to consider though, you mention in your original post that you want to record inputs when playing live. Assuming you are amplifying your live gigs, have you thought through how you will split the signals from whatever system you are using for live amplification?

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby The Korff » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:55 pm

dallascaley wrote:So, the main advantage I can see with this device over the Behringer UMC1820/Mac Laptop setup is that if I wanted to go record a live show I wouldn't have to worry about lugging around my Macbook and worrying about it getting stolen or beer spilled on it...

For clarity's sake, I recommended the UFX1604, not one of the UMC ones. (The UFX1604 allows you to record all the inputs discretely to an attached USB hard drive, sans computer.)

Cheers!

Chris
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby akast27 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:28 am

I have been doing some research recently since I also want to record 8 or more tracks at the same time and do this live for gigs, practice, at home and then be able to add more things afterwards like tracks, add more effects, voices, edits etc....
The Tascam SD24 and Tascam SD32 have had good reviews and can:
Record up to 8 Tracks Simultaneously
Records to SD/SDHC Cards (they are cheap and reliable)
Tascam SD 32 model has Up to 32 Track Playback, also 256 Virtual tracks (8 per all 32 tracks -which means you can have 8 individual takes per track and chose which one out of the 8 you like best for your mix)
21 Faders
24-bit/48 kHz Resolution (CD quality, .01 THD)
8 Combo XLR/TRS Mic Inputs
Various edit functions(COPY INSERT, COPY PASTE, MOVE INSERT, MOVE PASTE, OPEN, CUT, SILENCE, CLONE TRACK, CLEAN OUT)
Undo and Redo function with Undo history
8 dynamics effects (good but will not blow you away, you can add better effects to the board if you want).
Built in:
Guitar effects
Mix-down effects
Mastering Effects
Track bounce function
Locate mark up to 99 at one song
File transferring via USB2.0
Chromatic tuner
Metronome (no Drum machine built in)
Has click start pedal to start your recording

The Zoom 24 also has good reviews but the Tascam 24sd and 32SD seems to be rated just a little higher. Zoom has a drum machine built in which is nice for practicing and for creating song ideas. The Zoom downside is that the Zoom 24 does not have a click start pedal to make it easy to start your recording near your instrument and give you more control of punch ins.

I have a great Soundcraft mixer which I love but it takes more time to use with my DAW or to just use only my DAW which I have in my Music room in my basement. I wanted another easy way to record fast with good options for my 2nd music room in one of my bedrooms and I think I have narrowed down my search between the Tascam 32SD ($599) and the Zoom R24 ($499).

There are many other options in the $2k or less range for recording 8 or more tracks at the same time but they are only one take type recording mixers, those boards don't allow you to make any changes or add any tracks and many record the 8 tracks down to 2 (stereo) and then you can transfer the recording to a DAW and add more tracks and mix as you like. But keep in mind that you are cutting 8 tracks down to 2 and lose control of your editing abilities. The Soundcraft MTX 12 ($499) and MTX 22 ($899) allow you to send all 12 tracks and 22 tracks to your DAW individually so you don't lose your editing options. I am extremely happy with my Soundcraft mixers sound, capability and overall quality and highly recommend either of these models if they meet your requirements.

Best of luck and please let us know what you decide and the results your getting.

Best Regards,
AK
akast27

Postby Paul Isaacs » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:04 pm

Some good options here. Consider also the rugged and portable Sound Devices MixPre-10M:
- records 8 discrete mic/line XLR or1/4" inputs simultaneously to SD card
- creates a USB thumbdrive copy on the fly
- built in mixer for live mixing of the 8 inputs
- remix (adjust individual levels, pans, reverbs etc) the 8 tracks after the fact.
- can overdub for layering more tracks ... up to 12-tracks and if you need more you can bounce.
- Built in high quality reverbs and vocal air algorithm
- Also acts as a 12-in / 4 -out USB audio interface and you can do this at the same time as recording internally on the box.
- Can be controlled via USB Midi Controllers like Korg NanoKontrol Studio, Novation LaunchKontrol XL
- Basically everything you need in a very small package without having to lug a computer around.
Paul Isaacs
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:09 pm

Paul Isaacs wrote:Some good options here. Consider also the rugged and portable Sound Devices MixPre-10M:

For some reason, Paul's posting signature -- which declares his role at Sound Devices -- has failed to appear in this thread! So while I completely agree with, and personally endorse the suggestion of, the Sound Devices MixPre10M for all the reasons Paul states, I feel duty-bound to point out that Paul is, in fact, one of the leading lights at Sound Devices... Just for absolute clarity and the avoidance of doubt as to why he has mentioned that specific machine. 8-)

Carry on...

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Wonks » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:27 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Paul Isaacs wrote:Some good options here. Consider also the rugged and portable Sound Devices MixPre-10M:

For some reason, Paul's posting signature -- which declares his role at Sound Devices -- has failed to appear in this thread! So while I completely agree with, and personally endorse the suggestion of, the Sound Devices MixPre10M for all the reasons Paul states, I feel duty-bound to point out that Paul is, in fact, one of the leading lights at Sound Devices... Just for absolute clarity and the avoidance of doubt as to why he has mentioned that specific machine. 8-)

Carry on...

H

It's not showing on any of his posts, so Paul may have unintentionally deselected showing his signature (maybe he had a cookie clear-out?).
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Paul Isaacs » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:30 pm

Thats weird! Let's try again.
Paul Isaacs
Poster
Paul Isaacs
Sound Devices LLC

Postby Wonks » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:32 pm

All fine there, Paul.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:24 pm

Thanks -- I reported the problem and Ian G has been looking into it in the back-office admin system this morning and tinkering... so his great works may have brought it back. But glad that it's now working properly again! :D

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Previous