You are here

Recoding quality sound mic-mixer-pc

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Recoding quality sound mic-mixer-pc

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:45 am

The recording is indeed the 2 mixer together

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:49 am

About the mic now....
What I was told is the sm58 was the industry standard, and suited to rock songs as well.
I do have a few rock songs to cover though
But I don't understand what you mean by full on rock and why it would make a difference?

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:41 am

music master wrote:About the mic now....
What I was told is the sm58 was the industry standard, and suited to rock songs as well.
I do have a few rock songs to cover though
But I don't understand what you mean by full on rock and why it would make a difference?

Different mics respond better to different types of voices...

So an SM58 will still cut it (more or less) with full-on metal-type vocals from a strong male voice. It's not particularly well suited for less forceful deliveries and ballady/folky type material. It's response is tailored for good 'cut-through' in a busy/loud mix. Unless you have cacophonous backing tracks you don't need that sort of sound. A more transparent 'open' sound may well better suit your lyrics and delivery.

It's true that for many years the SM58 was 'the industry standard'. These days even for rock there are mics that produce a 'better' sound for more or less the same money.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:17 pm

To enlarge on that, 'Industry standard' simply means the one most commonly used, it doesn't mean 'best sounding'. The SM58 is robust, relatively inexpensive and has a 'presence peak' which helps it remain audible in a loud live mix. Occasionally it is also the right sound for recording a particular voice singing a specific genre in the studio.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:51 am

Mike Stranks wrote:Wot they said... and as I said, recording a live mix is rarely satisfactory. But it's your show! :)

Now, the mic... Unless you're singing full-on rock then these days there are much better mics than the SM58 for similar or less money. The Sennheiser e 835, 840 and 845 are well-respected here for the quality and openness of their sound - as is the AKG D5.

I'm still not so sure how you determine voice types? Do yo mean vocal mode petogogy ?

Those mics listed above are they suited to belting?

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:41 am

music master wrote:
Mike Stranks wrote:Wot they said... and as I said, recording a live mix is rarely satisfactory. But it's your show! :)

Now, the mic... Unless you're singing full-on rock then these days there are much better mics than the SM58 for similar or less money. The Sennheiser e 835, 840 and 845 are well-respected here for the quality and openness of their sound - as is the AKG D5.

I'm still not so sure how you determine voice types? Do yo mean vocal mode petogogy ?

Those mics listed above are they suited to belting?

It's my fault :blush: but I think you're now over-thinking this.

What I've tried to convey is that an SM58 isn't a one size fits all microphone.

For softer, gentler voices - male and female - singing gentle ballads and folk the purity of the vocal sound is key to the appreciation of the music.

For louder, strongly rhythmic songs with a strong drum and bass beat and vocals that are projected forcefully then a mic with a different characteristic would often be employed.

The SM58 is designed to be held very close to the mouth - almost touching the lips - and for songs where vocals are very strongly projected. If your predominant style is not rock and you prefer to have the mic further from your face then another mic may better suit your style and way of working.

It's more subtle than sop, alt, ten, bass... :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:04 pm

But there are different styles to songs that require a different voice type approaches
Example would be 2 songs I have covered, one by Adel (belt mode dark sound) and one by the be gees (fasseto bright sound)

Probably best keep it safe and go for the sm58 anyway

Postby James Perrett » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:43 pm

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that, in my opinion, the SM58 is a good choice where you don't know the voice or the system being used. Yes, there are often better sounding mics but I've known plenty of cases where the supposedly better sounding mics have sounded very bad with the wrong voice or the wrong system. In my experience the SM58 always sounds acceptable and it is often the sound that people have come to expect from amplified vocals.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby blinddrew » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:55 pm

Good point, well made! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:40 am

On another forum this kit was recommended to me as a starter kit

https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_pract ... ndle_1.htm

Look at the mics, there are 3 of them
T bone mb 60

Postby Watchmaker » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:30 am

music master wrote:Hi there
I was wondering what kind of sound quality I would achieve from Running a microphone into a mixer then mixer into a pc and running it off of some kind of built in Windows program

Terrible

music master wrote:I am thinking now that if I run a 3.5mm plug from the mixer to the pc, then that then will go into the computers inbuilt sound card And sound quality will be lost through the computers internal cheap sound card

However if I run a usb cable from the mixer to the pc, then that then will bypass the computers own in built sound card And the mixer should do the job of the sound card instead

But the mixer I will purchase must have a usb out channel on it as it would appear not all of them do

That depends on many things. The mixer will have to do AD/DA conversion to bypass the computer's sound card. You will need an appropriate software to "record" that and to manipulate the recordings. Also, USB is one of many protocols you can employ to transfer digital information from an external device to the computer.

music master wrote:What do you think?

I think more information about what you're trying to do would be helpful. :-)

music master wrote:Look at the mics, there are 3 of them
T bone mb 60

I'd say spend your money on something that will be useful. One decent mic is worth 35 lousy ones. The SM58 is a great, durable and flexible mic. Pretty much everyone has at least one for a reason...it's the one we started with. :lol:
Watchmaker
Regular
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:34 am

music master wrote:On another forum this kit was recommended to me as a starter kit

T bone mb 60

If you're doing the rounds of the forums you're going to get really confused! Even here in this 'quality not quantity' oasis we can't agree! :lol:

The Thomann package will do the job and gives you everything you need in one go. It records decent-qulaity files too. My reservation is the mics.

Those mics will do the job in that if you make a sound it'll get translated into an electrical signal, but they are very cheap and sound it. Cheaper mics are generally not so good at rejecting off-axis sound, are more likely to pop and blast if used close to the mic and have higher levels of handling noise.

I know I've confused you about mics and I apologise. Get an SM58 and you'll have a workable sound. (However, make sure you buy from a reputable source - no EBay or Gumtree - as there are very many inferior fakes out there.)

Mike
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:10 pm

music master wrote:On another forum this kit was recommended to me as a starter kit

T bone mb 60

I'd say that it was a bit unbalanced in terms of quality and the things that really affect the sound quality (mics and speakers) are the weak points. Cheap vocal mics tend to have various problems like poor feedback rejection, poor windshields leading to excessive breath noise and either a dull sound or an overly harsh sound. The speakers have a maximum output level of only 114dBSPL which is pretty low compared to most decent alternatives.

If your budget is tight then look for something secondhand.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:25 am

Watchmaker wrote:
I was wondering what kind of sound quality I would achieve from Running a microphone into a mixer then mixer into a pc and running it off of some kind of built in Windows program

Terrible
:
Why?
This guy said he recorded his track from sm58 to mixer to computer via usb
https://m.soundcloud.com/user-694791658 ... ghway-live
Dose not sound to bad to me!

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:28 am

James Perrett wrote:

T bone mb 60

I'd say that it was a bit unbalanced in terms of quality and the things that really affect the sound quality (mics and speakers) are the weak points. Cheap vocal mics tend to have various problems like poor feedback rejection, poor windshields leading to excessive breath noise and either a dull sound or an overly harsh sound. The speakers have a maximum output level of only 114dBSPL which is pretty low compared to most decent alternatives.

If your budget is tight then look for something secondhand.

So you think that bundle is a heap of crap!
But 114db should be enough for a pub/ club wedding venue

Postby blinddrew » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:10 am

music master wrote:
Watchmaker wrote:

Terrible
:
Why?
This guy said he recorded his track from sm58 to mixer to computer via usb
https://m.soundcloud.com/user-694791658 ... ghway-live
Dose not sound to bad to me!
I think Watchmaker was assuming you were going to go down the 3.5mm jack route you mentioned in the next paragraph. Assuming you're actually taking a USB output to the computer then you should be ok.
For a given definition of 'ok' ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:30 am

To fellow-posters:

We've got some thread-lag here! :)

The current suggestion from the OP is NOT to use a computer. The mixer-amp he's considering will record WAVs direct to a USB thumb-drive.

Carry-on! :lol:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:35 am

Doh! My bad! Sorry. :?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:37 am

Not only you Drew... ;)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:41 am

"But 114db should be enough for a pub/ club wedding venue"

Possibly but those speakers are rated at 114dB SPL max presumably at the "peak" power input of 600 watts? The mixer is rated at only 150W per channel but even worse, that is into 4 Ohms and the speakers are 8 Ohms and so you can expect a maximum power delivery of 80W, 100W at best.

114dB SPL IS loud but normally that figure is the direct sound at one metre, ten or more mtrs down the room and it will have dropped off considerably plus a lot gets absorbed in people, cloths and furnishings. "Serious" PA speakers are rated at 130dB at a mtr for just those reasons.

Then, that 114dB has nothing to do with the recording capability which I bet is 16bit and has a noise floor of 80dB or so and probably suffers the usual "crap USB 16 bit whine" .

Last words.. The rig is called a "practice room" setup and yes, in a dead quiet, empty rehearsal room, devoid of sound absorbing, noisy inebriated bodies, probably fine!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext