You are here

Recoding quality sound mic-mixer-pc

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Recoding quality sound mic-mixer-pc

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:35 am

When I went to my local music shop dawsons, I told them the size of venue I had in mind and they said a 500 watt speaker system would do the job
They recommended me the following

Yamaha stagepas 400bt speakers or the 600bt

Yamaha mg06x 2 channel mixer
Guest

Re: Recoding quality sound mic-mixer-pc

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:37 am

Hear is the cheapest brand new mixer I could find on eBay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Channels-b ... ect=mobile

The plastic casing makes it look like a 5 year olds toy
Guest

Re: Recoding quality sound mic-mixer-pc

Postby Wonks » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:44 am

music master wrote:When I went to my local music shop dawsons, I told them the size of venue I had in mind and they said a 500 watt speaker system would do the job
They recommended me the following

Yamaha stagepas 400bt speakers or the 600bt

Yamaha mg06x 2 channel mixer

Just reinforces my thoughts regarding Dawsons; trying to sell you an extra mixer when the stagepas system comes with one built-in! :headbang:
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10882
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Reading, UK
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: Recoding quality sound mic-mixer-pc

Postby Wonks » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:49 am

music master wrote:Hear is the cheapest brand new mixer I could find on eBay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Channels-b ... ect=mobile

The plastic casing makes it look like a 5 year olds toy

I agree, and it's probably as useful. However, colour coded knobs and sections do make it easy to find the controls you want more quickly, though this is more beneficial on larger mixers with a lot more controls on.
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10882
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Reading, UK
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: Recoding quality sound mic-mixer-pc

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:22 pm

StagePAS are good systems and certainly a step up from what you've considered before. Certainly enough for venues where the audience listens and doesn't talk at the same time.

But what would you then do about recording?
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7226
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:00 am

Re: Recoding quality sound mic-mixer-pc

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:57 pm

Wonks wrote:
music master wrote:When I went to my local music shop dawsons, I told them the size of venue I had in mind and they said a 500 watt speaker system would do the job
They recommended me the following

Yamaha stagepas 400bt speakers or the 600bt

Yamaha mg06x 2 channel mixer

Just reinforces my thoughts regarding Dawsons; trying to sell you an extra mixer when the stagepas system comes with one built-in! :headbang:
Your not telling me that those speakers have a xlr input and a 3.5mm input and will run together are you

Could do with someone selling off a used karaoke set up really
Guest

Re: Recoding quality sound mic-mixer-pc

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:17 pm

The StagePAS 600 mixer is far better equipped than that little Yamaha mixer. You can record from the 'monitor' outputs to your camcorder, a stereo recorder or PC (either the 3.5mm input if quality is not so important or using that cheap AI mentioned earlier for better results). The only downside is if you need a monitor speaker then those outputs are used up (though you could do it with a splitter lead, not ideal but it would work).

Image

The StagePAS600 maxes out at 129dB SPL so not far off the output of a pair of decent powered speakers.

You haven't confirmed a budget for this project yet, only implied from the gear suggestions, nor have you told us what the recordings are to be used for?
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12205
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Recoding quality sound mic-mixer-pc

Postby Wonks » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:42 pm

By the time you've bought a Stagepas 600 system, with stands, you won't be far off £800 and you still won't have solved the recording issue.

A pair of Alto TS312 active speakers and stands can be obtained for £573, leaving you a fair amount of money to buy a mixer that can do USB recording and also have some built-in effects (you will want reverb on your vocals). It will be slightly louder than the Stagepas 600 (which does come with some reverb) and be capable of being loud enough for any likely venue.

For a bit less at £515, you could get the TS310s plus stands, which are as loud as the stagepas 600 sysytem, https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Li ... -Pair/2FRU.

You will need some form of basic monitoring on stage. This won't need to be that loud, as you are playing to backing tracks so don't need to overcome drums and backline. You can pay what you want, but something like this should be sufficient. https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Li ... nitor/2IP4
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10882
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Reading, UK
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: Recoding quality sound mic-mixer-pc

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:52 pm

Good call Wonks, the StagePAS is super simple though and I'm sure that the OP won't mind me saying that he is a bit of a newb WRT this stuff.
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12205
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Recoding quality sound mic-mixer-pc

Postby Wonks » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:54 pm

Indeed, though it's not so hot on the monitoring side if you want a different mix to the FOH mix. Also if you use a monitor output for recording, again, you might want a different mix to that out front. Live you'd probably push the vocals up high, which might not sound quite so good when recorded and played back at normal levels.

Adjustable monitoring might not be an issue now, but in two years time it may be, which leaves you at a bit of a dead-end with the Stagepas unless you add a separate mixer and feed that into the Stagepas' mixer, which leaves you with a system that is now functionally similar to what you could have started with but for less money, (albeit slightly more complex than the Stagepas on its own). Why couldn't they have provided even just one proper aux send on the Stagepas? It would make it a lot easier to recommend.
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10882
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Reading, UK
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: Recoding quality sound mic-mixer-pc

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:24 pm

Yup, all true :thumbup:
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12205
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Recoding quality sound mic-mixer-pc

Postby Dan LB » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:23 pm

Just to add: the speaker cables that come with the Stagepas are too short for a lot of applications (they’re not exactly amazing quality either) so if you were to go that route I’d recommend budgeting for those too.
User avatar
Dan LB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1410
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:00 am
Location: Wicklow, Ireland

Re: Recoding quality sound mic-mixer-pc

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:08 am

I was told for the size I am doing I don't need a monitor
You don't see them on karaoke or open Mic nights do you
Guest

Re: Recoding quality sound mic-mixer-pc

Postby zenguitar » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:42 am

music master wrote:I was told for the size I am doing I don't need a monitor
You don't see them on karaoke or open Mic nights do you

You do see them where I live, and I can assure you that the guy who runs the karaoke nights is a rank amateur (not to be let within 100m of a microphone), and the guy who runs the open mic nights is a decent singer/guitarist and a thoroughly nice guy but woefully amateur when it comes to his PA.

The world is full of people who are very good at telling you things. The hard part is learning enough to decide which of them you listen to, and which of them you ignore (and remember to ignore further in the future).

The secret is to accept that you don't know enough yet and that that is perfectly normal. It's how we all start. The smart thing to do do is to reserve judgement, don't take the first answers you get for granted; and, instead, teach yourself to discriminate between those who have education and experience and those who lack both but are opinionated, vocal, and love to parrot ignorant opinions expressed on 3rd rate but (sadly) heavily promoted websites.

Handy Hint #1 When you joined here you found a site with a high ratio of members with experience and knowledge.

Andy :beamup:
User avatar
zenguitar
Moderator
Posts: 9870
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Devon
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Re: Recoding quality sound mic-mixer-pc

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:51 am

zenguitar wrote:
music master wrote:I was told for the size I am doing I don't need a monitor
You don't see them on karaoke or open Mic nights do you

You do see them where I live, and I can assure you that the guy who runs the karaoke nights is a rank amateur (not to be let within 100m of a microphone), and the guy who runs the open mic nights is a decent singer/guitarist and a thoroughly nice guy but woefully amateur when it comes to his PA.

The world is full of people who are very good at telling you things. The hard part is learning enough to decide which of them you listen to, and which of them you ignore (and remember to ignore further in the future).

The secret is to accept that you don't know enough yet and that that is perfectly normal. It's how we all start. The smart thing to do do is to reserve judgement, don't take the first answers you get for granted; and, instead, teach yourself to discriminate between those who have education and experience and those who lack both but are opinionated, vocal, and love to parrot ignorant opinions expressed on 3rd rate but (sadly) heavily promoted websites.

Handy Hint #1 When you joined here you found a site with a high ratio of members with experience and knowledge.

Andy :beamup:

Can't let that pass without comment, Andy.

This is the second 'newbie' poster we've had recently who know very little indeed and, in the words of D Rumsfield, "Don't know what they don't know."

How are such people to discern what is the 'correct' advice and how to build their knowledge when the information supplied within one forum is not of one view?

[Before anyone else says it, I know that with this poster I caused him unnecessary angst by starting a side-debate about SM58s.]

Added to the divergence of view we also have very well-meaning people giving detailed (and correct) technical information that uses terms that are commonplace to us, but bewilderingly meaningless to those asking the questions.

Yes; people may need to build knowledge and learning (although some will be happy with the simplest of 'yes/no' and go on their way) but I didn't get to understand the basic concepts of arithmetic by someone trying to explain the 'A' level syllabus to me. :)

Keep it simple, folks!

I am now in direct communication with both of these recent very newbie posters. I'm sure they won't mind me saying that their knowledge is almost non-existent. They simply want to know, 'How do I....?' or 'Can I...? Both have been confused by the conflicting and detailed advice they've received here. I'm seeking to help them with baby-steps and one issue at a time advice and recommendations.

I'm not the 'fount of all knowledge'. I don't consider myself 'better' than anyone else. But I do understand that when you can't see the wood for the trees, having the details of all the different trees pointed out and the nature of the diseases that can afflict them itemised doesn't really help. :)

To repeat: I know that folks are trying to be helpful and point out pitfalls. But for the very new a lot of the time there is simply Too Much Information. Back to my PMs...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7226
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:00 am

PreviousNext