You are here

Where do I get access to my Personal Messages Here???

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Where do I get access to my Personal Messages Here???

Postby Baldo » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:05 pm

Where is my PM box gone???
Baldo
Regular
"Never put a recording studio in your home, it is a black hole into which you can pour unlimited amounts of money" Pete Waterman.

Re: Where do I get access to my Personal Messages Here???

Postby desmond » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:07 pm

My Control Panel, click the "Overview" menu and select the "Private Messages" option, then from the second "Compose" menu, choose "Inbox".
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:16 pm

As Desmond indicates, it's complicated and not at all intuitive!
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:42 pm

Yup, putting the inbox behind the 'compose' tab was not a good idea :thumbdown:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby desmond » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:17 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Yup, putting the inbox behind the 'compose' tab was not a good idea :thumbdown:

At the very least, it should imo default to the Inbox, not to starting a new message...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby John Willett » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:45 pm

But you get an icon when you receive a new PM - click it and it takes you direc t to your in box. :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Postby Wonks » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:12 am

Yes, but someone needs to have sent the PM first. And if you are the one that needs to send it and can't....
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby zenguitar » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:04 am

Yes, it's a real pain for occasional PM users.

Not the slightest problem for regular PM users once you have a few under the belt.

The background is that the previous iteration of the forums had got increasingly difficult to support, and, in large part, that was due to having to maintain custom code that was increasingly divergent from the core forum software.

As befits a music tech magazine, the Sound On Sound website and forums were early adopters and used custom code to offer features and functions that weren't available elsewhere.

In the mean time, the internet world moved on and, increasingly, we discovered that the generic software providers were pushed towards alternative solutions than the ones we had envisaged. Not worse, not better, but different than we might reasonably have anticipated,

Because of that, when we bowed to the inevitable and moved to a new platform for the forums, it was clear that we needed to remain as close as possible to the new framework and avoid custom code wherever possible.

So...

Yes, we know that the PM part of the forums can be confusing. And we also know that we could hack the code to make it better. But experience tells us that the more we hack the code, the harder and more expensive it gets to maintain the hacked code.

Fortunately, not only do we have Mods like myself; we also have long standing forum members like Wonks who offer advice and support as goodwill, and that's what makes this place great.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra