You are here

How to record from mixer to computer

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: How to record from mixer to computer

Postby forumuser918214 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:25 pm

Hi, sorry if this is redundant, I have not read all the answers.

I assume your mixer has an auxiliary bus (alt 3-4). You need a simple and cheap USB audio interface as well.

Plug the mixer alt 3-4 output into a pair of inputs in the interface. Plug the interface output into a pair of inputs on the mixer. You can now record from the mixer alt 3-4 into your computer. You can also playback your computer sounds on your mixer controlling it with the mixer. You can even record to your computer while you are listening to its playback and your input simultaneously.
(Latency may be noticeable).

I may be oldschool, but I cannot imagine not having a mixer! The above setup has been great-sounding, reliable, flexible, (and cheap) for me for years
forumuser918214
Poster
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:23 pm

Re: How to record from mixer to computer

Postby The Elf » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:57 pm

forumuser918214 wrote:I may be oldschool, but I cannot imagine not having a mixer!
It's simply a choice.

For most beginners, although they seem to believe that a hardware mixer is a requirement (and I've even heard newcomers being advised in music shops that it is an absolute pre-requisite!), a mixer often carries complications and compromises that they simply don't need at the start of their learning process.

Unfortunately many soon discover that mixers often don't allow for separate recordings of their inputs, and it is here that the fudging and bodging begins.

Many of us here have ditched the mixer. It's liberating and space-saving. As long as your audio interface provides sufficient I/O then it also means that any audio source can be recorded in isolation at the drop of a hat. Of course a 'mixer' is still a requirement, but this is presented in software. I have 64 line inputs all arriving into my DAW and no hardware mixer needed or wanted.

Many hardware mixers now are capable of presenting all their inputs as discrete feeds to the computer, but then you do have ask yourself what value the 'mixer' per se is really adding...
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12195
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: How to record from mixer to computer

Postby The Elf » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:04 pm

forumuser918214 wrote:Plug the mixer alt 3-4 output into a pair of inputs in the interface.
I would advise against this until the 2-track output has been proved to be working. It seems that the OP is not so familiar with his mixer than we want to start getting into sub-grouping... ;) :)
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12195
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: How to record from mixer to computer

Postby ef37a » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:21 pm

The Elf wrote:
forumuser918214 wrote:I may be oldschool, but I cannot imagine not having a mixer!
It's simply a choice.

For most beginners, although they seem to believe that a hardware mixer is a requirement (and I've even heard newcomers being advised in music shops that it is an absolute pre-requisite!), a mixer often carries complications and compromises that they simply don't need at the start of their learning process.

Unfortunately many soon discover that mixers often don't allow for separate recordings of their inputs, and it is here that the fudging and bodging begins.

Many of us here have ditched the mixer. It's liberating and space-saving. As long as your audio interface provides sufficient I/O then it also means that any audio source can be recorded in isolation at the drop of a hat. Of course a 'mixer' is still a requirement, but this is presented in software. I have 64 line inputs all arriving into my DAW and no hardware mixer needed or wanted.

Many hardware mixers now are capable of presenting all their inputs as discrete feeds to the computer, but then you do have ask yourself what value the 'mixer' per se is really adding...

Circumstances do alter cases though Elf. I agree, the newb that askes "how do I record guitar (lekky or/and acoustic) and my voice?" just needs a modest 2 in 2 out AI but often it is not quite that simple. Peeps often want to record more than one source but not necessarily as multitrack and it is convenient to have a synth,drum mech', hi fi all connected to a mixer. Yes, an 8 input AI would do but,..
A) It would cost much more than a modern 24 bit mixer,
B) You would have to pay for mic pres you don't need.
Mixers these days have very good pre amps, as do AIs but also tend to have higher headroom and better gain control.
Mixers have pan so newb can put voice and guitar "where" they like*. Can't do that with any AIs I know of?
True zero latency, stand alone monitoring!

I could go on but I think you get my point? Horses for courses. Of course when you have progressed to a 64 input system I guess you can forget these matters?

*I have lost count of the number of questions that go "why do I only get my voice/guitar in one ear please?"

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10204
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: How to record from mixer to computer

Postby The Elf » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:25 pm

I agree - it's simply a choice. It's the idea that a hardware 'mixer' is an absolute requirement that I will continue to rail against. :D
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12195
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: How to record from mixer to computer

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:34 pm

I am now in direct PM contact with the OP advising him on the way forward.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6337
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:00 am

Re: How to record from mixer to computer

Postby The Elf » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:38 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:I am now in direct PM contact with the OP advising him on the way forward.
:thumbup: :clap:
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12195
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bob Bickerton, Brian M Rose, vargas