You are here

How to record from mixer to computer

Page 2 of 2

Re: How to record from mixer to computer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:57 pm
by Mike Stranks
I hope you don't mind me making this really simple... :)

Use:

Image

to connect to:

Image

and then connect the phono plugs to the Input sockets of this Behringer UCA202:

Image

and then connect the Behringer to a USB socket on your laptop.

Whatever is being routed to the main outputs of the mixer will then be recorded on the laptop into the software of your choice. That will give you the potential to record at up to CD quality if you record WAV files and not MP3s.

Re: How to record from mixer to computer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:57 pm
by Watchmaker
+1. Between Dave and Mike's advice, you've got a very clear and effective path to your objective. And remember, you're learning new stuff so be patient with yourself.

Re: How to record from mixer to computer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:00 pm
by Hugostar
Honestly I am very very happy finding this forum. ..all your advise and contributions re very good and clear...am going to work on it tomorrow and come back to share my positive result.
Thanks once again...Mike your picture clue is wonderful and we'll explain...thanks too.

Re: How to record from mixer to computer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:12 am
by Sam Spoons
A budget interface is a good idea, much better than the built in one but if you are not getting the mix out of the desk it won't help. Please have another look at my last post and answer the questions I asked. There is a reason why you are not recording what you expect but it it is probably something to do with how you are configuring the mixer.

Re: How to record from mixer to computer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:47 am
by Mike Stranks
Sam Spoons wrote:A budget interface is a good idea, much better than the built in one but if you are not getting the mix out of the desk it won't help. Please have another look at my last post and answer the questions I asked. There is a reason why you are not recording what you expect but it it is probably something to do with how you are configuring the mixer.

Almost certainly because of using the Monitor Outs. I've been caught out before when trying to record the stereo mix with these. It's very easy to have a PFL button engaged which will then solo that channel to the monitor, but if you're listening to the main LR mix you're completely unaware.

2-Trk out is much simpler/safer for a straight 2-channel recording. On this mixer it's a direct feed from the main L/R so easier to diagnose any funnies.

Re: How to record from mixer to computer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:25 pm
by forumuser918214
Hi, sorry if this is redundant, I have not read all the answers.

I assume your mixer has an auxiliary bus (alt 3-4). You need a simple and cheap USB audio interface as well.

Plug the mixer alt 3-4 output into a pair of inputs in the interface. Plug the interface output into a pair of inputs on the mixer. You can now record from the mixer alt 3-4 into your computer. You can also playback your computer sounds on your mixer controlling it with the mixer. You can even record to your computer while you are listening to its playback and your input simultaneously.
(Latency may be noticeable).

I may be oldschool, but I cannot imagine not having a mixer! The above setup has been great-sounding, reliable, flexible, (and cheap) for me for years

Re: How to record from mixer to computer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:57 pm
by The Elf
forumuser918214 wrote:I may be oldschool, but I cannot imagine not having a mixer!
It's simply a choice.

For most beginners, although they seem to believe that a hardware mixer is a requirement (and I've even heard newcomers being advised in music shops that it is an absolute pre-requisite!), a mixer often carries complications and compromises that they simply don't need at the start of their learning process.

Unfortunately many soon discover that mixers often don't allow for separate recordings of their inputs, and it is here that the fudging and bodging begins.

Many of us here have ditched the mixer. It's liberating and space-saving. As long as your audio interface provides sufficient I/O then it also means that any audio source can be recorded in isolation at the drop of a hat. Of course a 'mixer' is still a requirement, but this is presented in software. I have 64 line inputs all arriving into my DAW and no hardware mixer needed or wanted.

Many hardware mixers now are capable of presenting all their inputs as discrete feeds to the computer, but then you do have ask yourself what value the 'mixer' per se is really adding...

Re: How to record from mixer to computer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:04 pm
by The Elf
forumuser918214 wrote:Plug the mixer alt 3-4 output into a pair of inputs in the interface.
I would advise against this until the 2-track output has been proved to be working. It seems that the OP is not so familiar with his mixer than we want to start getting into sub-grouping... ;) :)

Re: How to record from mixer to computer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:21 pm
by ef37a
The Elf wrote:
forumuser918214 wrote:I may be oldschool, but I cannot imagine not having a mixer!
It's simply a choice.

For most beginners, although they seem to believe that a hardware mixer is a requirement (and I've even heard newcomers being advised in music shops that it is an absolute pre-requisite!), a mixer often carries complications and compromises that they simply don't need at the start of their learning process.

Unfortunately many soon discover that mixers often don't allow for separate recordings of their inputs, and it is here that the fudging and bodging begins.

Many of us here have ditched the mixer. It's liberating and space-saving. As long as your audio interface provides sufficient I/O then it also means that any audio source can be recorded in isolation at the drop of a hat. Of course a 'mixer' is still a requirement, but this is presented in software. I have 64 line inputs all arriving into my DAW and no hardware mixer needed or wanted.

Many hardware mixers now are capable of presenting all their inputs as discrete feeds to the computer, but then you do have ask yourself what value the 'mixer' per se is really adding...

Circumstances do alter cases though Elf. I agree, the newb that askes "how do I record guitar (lekky or/and acoustic) and my voice?" just needs a modest 2 in 2 out AI but often it is not quite that simple. Peeps often want to record more than one source but not necessarily as multitrack and it is convenient to have a synth,drum mech', hi fi all connected to a mixer. Yes, an 8 input AI would do but,..
A) It would cost much more than a modern 24 bit mixer,
B) You would have to pay for mic pres you don't need.
Mixers these days have very good pre amps, as do AIs but also tend to have higher headroom and better gain control.
Mixers have pan so newb can put voice and guitar "where" they like*. Can't do that with any AIs I know of?
True zero latency, stand alone monitoring!

I could go on but I think you get my point? Horses for courses. Of course when you have progressed to a 64 input system I guess you can forget these matters?

*I have lost count of the number of questions that go "why do I only get my voice/guitar in one ear please?"

Dave.

Re: How to record from mixer to computer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:25 pm
by The Elf
I agree - it's simply a choice. It's the idea that a hardware 'mixer' is an absolute requirement that I will continue to rail against. :D

Re: How to record from mixer to computer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:34 pm
by Mike Stranks
I am now in direct PM contact with the OP advising him on the way forward.

Re: How to record from mixer to computer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:38 pm
by The Elf
Mike Stranks wrote:I am now in direct PM contact with the OP advising him on the way forward.
:thumbup: :clap: