You are here

Pro Tools or Logic Pro X?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Pro Tools or Logic Pro X?

Postby CS70 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:35 pm

Still Vibrations wrote:I think DAWs do sound different. When I used Logic, as soon as the tracks were transferred to Pro Tools or RADAR they sounded so much better. I am certain Ableton 10 sounds better than Ableton 6, which was my previous version.

These are generally the pan laws. If you get them the same in the two DAWs, they will sound the same: after A/D the "sound" is only calculations, which barring improbable large errors are the same. It's like saying that windows looks different between two PCs.. RADAR itself can run any DAW, can't it? But being end2end, there you may be using different converters (even just the D/A ones to the speakers) so you'd be comparing apple and oranges.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby CS70 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:36 pm

Darren Lynch wrote:
Kotomi wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone :thumbup:

I did have a feeling that Logic might be the better choice for me, but needed confirmation as I'd ended up hearing so many different opinions of both DAWs, I didn't know what to think anymore! About the 'sound quality' issue, I do know it's pretty much down to hardware. All I was noticing was that my Logic tended to have a 'graininess' to the reverb tails and stuff like that, but I realise it's probably the Mac it's on underperforming as it's probably old enough for it.

Woah, we need to back off with the "all DAWs sound the same" (which they kinda do) because the man says he can hear grainy reverb tails in Logic. Spot on! most of Logic's legacy reverbs are notorious for their very grainy reverb tails.

No objections, but the plugins ain't the DAW. I use the same (non-native) VST reverbs with all DAWs I happen to work with and - once pan laws are adjusted, the result sounds just fine and identical, as they should be.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:51 pm

Still Vibrations wrote:I think DAWs do sound different. When I used Logic, as soon as the tracks were transferred to Pro Tools or RADAR they sounded so much better.

But was that because of the DAW, or the converter hardware and monitoring connected to the new computer platforms? The RADAR certainly involved different converter technology, even if PT was running on the same computer and interface....

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Mixedup » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:23 pm

Logic currently ticks more boxes for you. But personally, of the two I'd choose Pro Tools, since it's cross-platform since I have a strict policy of only using cross-platform software; I don't like being stuck with a certain brand of computer even if I'm happy using a Mac for the time being!

Oh... and despite what someone said above, there are loads of free plug-ins for Pro Tools even before you start thinking about VST/AU wrappers...
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Previous