You are here

Dynacord DRP 20 Midi problem

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Dynacord DRP 20 Midi problem

Postby Sparrows78 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:21 am

Hi all!
I own a white faced Dynacord DRP 20 Reverb with Firmware version 2.2. It's a great vintage reverb with a big sound and I'm using it mostly for real time synthesizer performaces. Because of this I recently started looking up its Midi capabilities and to my dissapointment there seems to be several Midi-parameters missing in the menus.
I have read the manuals and googled but it's hard to find any relevant information because of this box age and rarity. So I give it a try to ask if any of you know anything about this issues.

When pushing the MIDI button on the fronpanel I only get access to two parameters; "MIDI-CONTROL" and "MIDI TO DRP CONV.".
The same happens when pushing the MIDI button in PARAM mode. I can't find any options to map any effects parameters at all.

In MIDI MONITOR mode I can see that the DRP20 recieves Midi signals but I cant get it to affect anything.

To me it seems like there are options missing that should be there according to the manual. How could this be? Bad memory? Old firmware?

Any help is highly appreciated!

/Johan
Sparrows78
New here

Re: Dynacord DRP 20 Midi problem

Postby Wonks » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:20 am

First you'll have to set up the MIDI channel you will be working on, but after that it should work.

Manual here: http://cselydteknik.dk/manualer/DRP20X.pdf

English section starts on pdf (not manual) page 44, MIDI on pdf page 76.

MIDI parameter setting looks to be done in the Program menu, not a specific MIDI menu.

Do you get those displays?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Wonks » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:43 am

It also looks like you can only adjust the MIDI parameters in user programs, not factory ones (maybe only adjust parameters by MIDI in user programs too, it's not really clear). So you'll need to copy a factory program to a user slot if you want to map things.

Also you'll need to ensure that MIDI control is turned on, otherwise you won't get anything to change.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sparrows78 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:10 pm

That is the strange thing, I don't get those displays. Everytime I push the MIDI button I get only two options ; "MIDI-CONTROL" and "MIDI TO DRP CONV.". It doesn't matter if I am in the program/PARAM menu or not. And it is the same in both factory and user.

I have set up midi channel, and I can see incoming MIDI signals in MIDI MONITOR mode and I can set up allocation tables. But No parameters are available.

Thanks for your help!
Sparrows78
New here

Postby Wonks » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:34 pm

You are in a user program? And the MIDI control is not turned off (In case that disables everything else MIDI related?
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sparrows78 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:18 pm

Yes, I'm in user program and MIDI control is set at midi channel 1(POLY CH 01). I have also tried OMNI but no difference.

When I try to follow the example at pdf page 80 I can't get any further than point 4; "Press the midi button to go to the midi patch menu."
When I do that I get back to the main MIDI menu, not the effect parameter.
Sparrows78
New here

Postby Wonks » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:42 pm

Weird. Maybe a corrupt ROM. Looks like you are stuck with what you've got unless you can find someone with another unit where the MIDI works properly and you then might be able to get a copy of what I assume must be an EPROM or similar.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:08 pm

You could always try emailing Dynacord to see if they can help you. There's no mention of the unit that I could find on their support page, but they might have records of what the latest firmware update was.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sparrows78 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:18 pm

Yes, It looks like a defekt unit unfortunately. I found a service manual and tried doing the different tests explained in it. The manual is hard to understand though, not very intuitive, but I kind off got to a point where there is an indication of bad RAM. Hard to tell.

But I will give Dynacord a try,
Thanks again for the help!
Sparrows78
New here

Postby Wonks » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:19 pm

Best of luck!
Wonks
Jedi Poster