You are here

Cubase Elements 10 or Cubase Artist 6.5 ??

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Cubase Elements 10 or Cubase Artist 6.5 ??

Postby easybullet3 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:23 am

Hi,

I have a choice to buy (2nd hand) Cubase Elements 10 or Cubase Artist 6.5 (for home recording).

Many people seem to like version 6.5 because its fast, lite and does the job well. and most people seem to like the layout of 6.5.

Would you recommend I get the version "6.5 ARTIST" or do you think I should get "10 ELEMENTS" ?

I would prefer to have 10 Artist, (but its above my budget).

so my choice is 6.5 ARTIST or 10 ELEMENTS.

Are there loads more effects/plug-ins and features on 10 Elements that are worth the problems of 'high CPU usage' and other problems ?

I really would love to know the opinions from experienced users.
I dont want to spend weeks and weeks learning how to use over-complicated software.
I am computer savvy, but also I dont want to waste unnecessary time.

or, do you think there is a more suitable version of Cubase that I should search for online ?

Thank you VERY MUCH for any help that you can give me ;)
easybullet3

Re: Cubase Elements 10 or Cubase Artist 6.5 ??

Postby Logarhythm » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:49 pm

What is it that you're actually looking to do with Cubase, and does it need to be Cubase specifically?
Do you need the extra features in Artist that you don't get in Elements?
Track counts are limited, but are you planning to run projects with more than 48 audio / 64 midi tracks, or do you specifically need the extra physical inputs/outputs etc?
The higher versions come with more plugins etc, but there are lots of very good free VSTs available if you need synths and FX.

Either version of Cubase gives you a discounted upgrade path to Artist 10 later down the road, but the cost difference between going from Artist 6.5 to 10 or from Elements 10 to Artist is negligible.

I'm not sure the "high CPU usage" is necessarily going to be an issue - it will obviously depend on what machine you're running, but my modestly spec'd 5 year old AMD FX doesn't seem to struggle with 9.5.

If it doesn't need to specifically be Cubase then it's obligatory in any "what DAW?" thread to also suggest Reaper, the full version of which costs less than the cheapest Cubase but is an extremely capable DAW. You can try it for free for 60 days too: https://www.reaper.fm/download.php

Personally I'd probably give Reaper a try, otherwise I'd go for the newer Elements unless there is a specific feature in Artist that you can't get elsewhere (e.g. the limit on track counts).
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby Wonks » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:23 pm

I'd go with Elements 10. Not sure why you want to buy a used copy when it's so cheap anyway. I'm not sure what Cubase license transfer is like and you may be walking into a minefield.

Elements 10 will incorporate a lot of multi-core CPU optimisation that won't exist in 6.5 and is supposed to be less demanding on the CPU that earlier versions. Plus the plugs it comes with will generally be better than those in 6.5. VST3 plugs that allow side chaining from another track for compressors (if the feature is available in the VST).

I assume that your operating system is a 64-bit one, as Cubase 10 and variants is 64-bit only and only works with 64-bit based plugs. There is no 32-bit to 64-bit bridge any more. You can run things like 32-bit UAD plugs because they work within the 64-bit UAD shell so Cubase doesn't see them directly, but if you've had an older DAW before so have some 32-bit plugs you'd still really like to use, then either see if 64-bit versions are availble, or else look for 64-bit alternatives. But the standard Steinberg plugs have improved considerably since 6.5.

There are also bugs in 6.5 that never got fixed. Steinberg have been pretty slow in the past at fixing bugs IMO, and tended to fix most (but not all) existing bugs in the next version update, whilst introducing loads of new ones, followed by a few updates to cure the worst of the new bugs. But by the end of 8.5, they'd finally achieved a pretty stable platform.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby easybullet3 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:54 am

Wonks wrote:I'd go with Elements 10. Not sure why you want to buy a used copy when it's so cheap anyway. I'm not sure what Cubase license transfer is like and you may be walking into a minefield.

Elements 10 will incorporate a lot of multi-core CPU optimisation that won't exist in 6.5 and is supposed to be less demanding on the CPU that earlier versions. Plus the plugs it comes with will generally be better than those in 6.5. VST3 plugs that allow side chaining from another track for compressors (if the feature is available in the VST).

I assume that your operating system is a 64-bit one, as Cubase 10 and variants is 64-bit only and only works with 64-bit based plugs. There is no 32-bit to 64-bit bridge any more. You can run things like 32-bit UAD plugs because they work within the 64-bit UAD shell so Cubase doesn't see them directly, but if you've had an older DAW before so have some 32-bit plugs you'd still really like to use, then either see if 64-bit versions are availble, or else look for 64-bit alternatives. But the standard Steinberg plugs have improved considerably since 6.5.

There are also bugs in 6.5 that never got fixed. Steinberg have been pretty slow in the past at fixing bugs IMO, and tended to fix most (but not all) existing bugs in the next version update, whilst introducing loads of new ones, followed by a few updates to cure the worst of the new bugs. But by the end of 8.5, they'd finally achieved a pretty stable platform.

Steinberg Website (UK):
10 Elements = £85
10 Artist = £265

'Artist' is THREE TIMES more expensive than 'Elements'.. so this worries me. Elements must be REALLY bare-bones.

I'm home-recording. Windows 7(64 bit) and my computer is satisfactory (12gb ram, i7-950 CPU and new graphics card and SSD Hard drive).
I wont upgrade to Windows 10 because I dont like it.
.. and I am not worried about earlier versions of Cubase not being 'supported' by Steinberg anymore.

I wont be using tonnes of tracks.
Solely for home recordings.
Really I want to make my recordings sound decent, and hopefully have a nice range of plug-in's, effects, eq's and compressors etc to help make the recording sound ok.

I have used Cubase 5 in the past and I like it. But I have no idea how complicated things may get in cubase 10. (ie: too many buttons and functions that over-complicate things).
I want an easy work flow without spending weeks-on-end learning how to use it.

So many people in forums seem to say how the loved version 6.5 the most. But I understand that version 10 obviously has way more goodies and improvements.

With everything I just said, what would you recommend to me ?

The cheap price of Elements 10 (in comparison to Artist 10) worries me that i'm going to feel unsatisfied with the lack of things I can do. Perhaps even jealous of all the stuff in Artist 10.

I'm wondering:
If I had a chance to get cubase 'Artist' 8 or 9, would that be a better option than Elements 10 ?

You mentioned that 8.5 was stable and good.
Would a more affordable version of Artist 8.5 be much better than Elements 10 ?

Thanks again for sharing your views with me ;)
easybullet3

Postby forumuser932800 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:03 am

Hi,

With every new release of Cubase (and other software in general) developers add more and more stuff into newer versions (for all editions) so, chances are that Cubase Elements 10 compares quite well with Cubase 6.5 Artist and you have the latest version. If you feel you'd like to upgrade to Artist or Pro at some point, this is pretty affordable.

As an alternative, Presonus Studio One is very good and cheaper and has improved immensely over the years... and it's workflow is very similar to that of Cubase. V.4 is excellent with very good built-in plugins... and you get a lot of goodies (samples loops, plugin synths,...) in the bargain.

Cubase can only be run on 1 machine at the time, using the e-Licenser USB key or installing the license on the computer itself.
Studio One can be activate 5 times so that you can run it on multiple computers at the same time.

If you indeed (as mentioned by someone else here) have old 32-bit plugins that you like, Cubase won't support them. There is a tool out there, called Jbridge that allows you to kind of coat 32-bit plugin (instruments at least) with a 64-bit layer so that they can be used in a 64-bit DAW but, I won't guarantee the stability and even availability.. some plugin's won't show up, even wien using this tool... and you need to know what you're doing when using it.

Studio One can still be installed as 32-bit if you so desire. I believe you can install both versions next to each other but I'm not 100% sure.
It has some really cool features nowadays and is getting pretty close to the likes of Cubase and Logic in terms of quality and features.

I am a longtime Cubase user (currently on Pro v.10) and will stick to it but, Studio One would probably be my choice if budget was an important factor. Reaper is supposed to be quite good too although from what I've seen, some of the builtin plugins look a bit simplistic. (sound quality might still be good though)

Studio One Pro is about $399 while Artist costs about $99
It's worth checking out.
You should be able to download a demo to test and see if you like it.
forumuser932800

Postby Logarhythm » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:18 am

FWIW now that I'm used to it I much prefer the newer Cubase versions - workflow is improved if anything (IMO).
There is a version comparison here that shows exactly what you're getting/missing between the current versions: https://new.steinberg.net/cubase/compare-editions/
Is there anything in Artist that you definitely need that isn't in Elements?
You don't get so many bundled VSTs, but as per my earlier post you can find lots of freeware/donationware synths and FX, so I really wouldn't let this be a deciding factor.

Given your intended aims I fully agree with Wonks - I'd go for Elements 10 and not worry about other versions unless and until you genuinely encounter something you need to do that it can't.
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby Wonks » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:40 am

The thing I like about Cubase is the Variaudio. You only get that with Pro, so Artist woudn't do it for me.

With Elements you still get a lot of stuff. Just less sounds with the Halion sampler and Groove Agent drums compared to Pro (but the same as Artist).

Artist doesn't really offer that much more for basic recording and music making than Elements, certainly nothing that say the Free Bundle from Melda couldn't supply in terms of missing effects.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Kwackman » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:21 am

easybullet3 wrote:
Wonks wrote:I'd go with Elements 10.

Steinberg Website (UK):
10 Elements = £85
10 Artist = £265

'Artist' is THREE TIMES more expensive than 'Elements'.. so this worries me. Elements must be REALLY bare-bones.

"Bare Bones" it might be, but it's still a pretty impressive DAW.
I have it on my laptop, and don't run into restrictions very often TBH.
YMMV.
I agree with the others who say go for version 10.
Generally the workflows improve and there's more meat on the later "Bare bones" versions!
Also, every now and again, Steinberg offer upgrades at discounted prices.

You can try it for free for 30 days.
https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/s ... sions.html

{edit}
And you may already have seen this, but to compare versions...
https://new.steinberg.net/cubase/compare-editions/
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby easybullet3 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:05 pm

Kwackman wrote:
easybullet3 wrote:
Wonks wrote:I'd go with Elements 10.

Steinberg Website (UK):
10 Elements = £85
10 Artist = £265

"Bare Bones" it might be, but it's still a pretty impressive DAW.
I have it on my laptop, and don't run into restrictions very often TBH.
YMMV.
I agree with the others who say go for version 10.
Generally the workflows improve and there's more meat on the later "Bare bones" versions!
Also, every now and again, Steinberg offer upgrades at discounted prices.

You can try it for free for 30 days.
https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/s ... sions.html

{edit}
And you may already have seen this, but to compare versions...
https://new.steinberg.net/cubase/compare-editions/

Thank you, This was useful to me.
Can I ask (as a user of Elements 10) are there many 'free' plug in's or bundles that make using Elements 10 a whole lot better ?
ie: some plug ins can really make a big difference. Is it easy to find and install plug ins?

even better would be if you could recommend any decent ones or bundles.
I will try the 30 day trial first ;)

Thanks again ;)
easybullet3

Postby blinddrew » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:38 pm

The free Melda plug-in bundle is well worth a look, as is the ToneBoosters bundle.
After that you're probably looking at specific tools for the job, in which case it will likely come down to workflow, personal preference, and what's on sale. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Wonks » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:51 pm

The free plugs from Tokyo Dawn Labs are jolly good as well.

TBH, if you can resist getting too many plugs and just get on with making music, you normally get a lot more done! Get to know how the ones you have actually work, and only then if you find something lacking, go looking for something else.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Kwackman » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:06 pm

easybullet3 wrote:are there many 'free' plug in's or bundles that make using Elements 10 a whole lot better ?
ie: some plug ins can really make a big difference. Is it easy to find and install plug ins?

This is assuming you are talking about effects VST plug ins (compressors, EQs, reverbs, delays etc) and not instruments (Drums, Bass etc)

Usually it's very easy to install 3rd party plug-ins and, as Wonks suggested, Tokyo Dawn have good ones.

BUT, the VST plug ins that come with Cubase are very good, so perhaps play with them first before going after others.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby CS70 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:55 am

easybullet3 wrote:Can I ask (as a user of Elements 10) are there many 'free' plug in's or bundles that make using Elements 10 a whole lot better ?

If your DAW can bridge to 32 bit VST, the Variety of Sound stuff is still up there with the best of them and completely free.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby ore_terra » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:17 am

one thing I used to miss in elements was side chaining... actually that was the reason that made me buy higher versions.
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Random Guitarist » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:31 pm

I recently moved from 6.5 to 10.

I was on 6.5 elements and it was perfectly fine, I added some plugins I particularly like and was very happy. In all honesty I've previously been more about the capture than the mix and I rarely edited a performance, I'd prefer to go back and play it right.

I upgraded because of two factors, I wanted VCA faders and side chaining, and the editing is more important now. (Working with other peoples material, I can't just re-record the part)

For what you have said you want to do I think either 6.5 or 10 in either version will be fine. If it was my decision I'd go for 10 elements to have the more recent interface and plugins. So far 10 is super stable for me, 6.5 would occasionally die messily.
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.