You are here

Mid-side recording technique: left/right stereo information?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Mid-side recording technique: left/right stereo information?

Postby Guitarking » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:28 pm

I was wondering: i recorded an upright piano with mid/side technique. I sounds very wide, but I don't have the idea that the high notes are more on the right? When I recorded the same piano with NT55's in omni in spaced pair, I clearly hear this stereo image of low notes left, high notes right. Does this have to do with MS technique? Is the 'sides' just sides without different left/right info as it is recorded as a mono track with the fig8 mic?
Guitarking
Regular

Re: Mid-side recording technique: left/right stereo information?

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:34 pm

How did you decode the 'S' element?
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Guitarking » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:39 pm

duplicated the track and flipped the phase on the duplicate
Guitarking
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:53 pm

Guitarking wrote:duplicated the track and flipped the phase on the duplicate

OK; that's how I do it. I had wondered if it was a dubious plug-in. I am puzzled...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Guitarking » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:30 pm

maybe it's my ears. I just had expected the high tones to be more clearly at the right (or left) side.
Guitarking
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:42 pm

MS is a coincident technique which generates a more linear stereo image than spaced omnis, and it doesnt tend to work too well if placed close to a large sound source as it focuses on the central sounds - so that will account for part of the difference.

The other aspect is that your spaced omnis would tend to emphasise the extreme edges of the sound board with relatively little from the centre, hence the obvious high-low separation, whereas the MS array will tend to emphasise the centre with weaker edges (even with a strong side level) -- just because of the proximity of the capsules to the relevant portions of the sound board.

Moving the MS mic further away from the soundboard (if the room acoustics allow it) will give a more natural left-right high-low stereo spread, but if you're after that exaggerated high-low thing, spaced omnis placed close to the sound board will be the way to go.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound