You are here

recording an old piano with only an aux out (mono or stereo?)

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

recording an old piano with only an aux out (mono or stereo?)

Postby alexhedleymusic » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:21 pm

Hello there!!

iv'e got an old yamaha keyboard that only has an aux out on it other than the headphones... so i will need an aux to jack lead for my interface. im a bit confused though as i would like to record it in stereo if possible so i take it i would need a aux to stereo jack? recording in stereo confuses me quite a lot and i was just wondering if anyone could enlighten me... so i have a akg match stereo pair of mics and my understanding is that you record one mic for the left and one for the right to create a stereo image... so with the keyboard if i had an aux to stereo jack how would this record the two channels to create the image if i only have one jack. i know this is a stupid question probably but im a beginner so :)
thanks!
alexhedleymusic
Poster

Re: recording an old piano with only an aux out (mono or stereo?)

Postby blinddrew » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:32 pm

Two questions:
What's the piano?
What's the interface?
Depending on the inputs and outputs we can then suggest the right cabling. :)
An aux out could be on RCA, 1/4" L&R jacks, DIN, etc etc :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby alexhedleymusic » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:37 pm

hi its a yamaha electone hc 2... and the interface is a focusrite scarlett 2i2
thanks for the help!
alexhedleymusic
Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:37 pm

What model is it?

There are two possibilities with the aux.

). The aux out is mono as you have suggested. Its not likely to be a balanced connection (even on the best keyboards they are so often unbalanced), so a TS to TS cable will work. A TRS to TRS lead should also work, but still as an unbalanced connection and may pick up more noise than TS to TS.

2) The aux out is stereo, so a splitter lead with a 3.5mm TRS jack to two 1/4" mono TS jacks will be needed. Something like this: https://www.gear4music.com/G4M/Stereo-Minijack-Mono-Jack-x2-Cable-3m/631?origin=product-ads&campaign=PLA+Shop+-+GENERIC&adgroup=GENERIC&medium=vertical_search&network=google&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=7885d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=121022124799&gclid=Cj0KCQjwsZ3kBRCnARIsAIuAV_TgEOtdaSsNF53WJ_gY-0HJpVHQB1OLly9KZ-Hgpfxo24yLq3yXaigaAkdsEALw_wcB. If the output is stereo, a TRS to TRS lead would not work, as you'd only hear the difference between the two sides of the stereo image. Run the two TS jacks into two adjoining line inputs on your interface so they can be recorded as a stereo signal

But you can normally record without problems from the headphone output, which will be stereo and you'll need the type of lead mentioned in 2) above. Keep the output volume down so you don't overload the line inputs, so keep an eye on the input level status.

(I've assumed the Aux output is a 3.5mm jack, but if not, replace that with 1/4" jack as appropriate).
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby alexhedleymusic » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:40 pm

just looked on the back and it only says aux out unfortunately so theres no more info on there
alexhedleymusic
Poster

Postby alexhedleymusic » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:44 pm

Wonks wrote:What model is it?

There are two possibilities with the aux.

). The aux out is mono as you have suggested. Its not likely to be a balanced connection (even on the best keyboards they are so often unbalanced), so a TS to TS cable will work. A TRS to TRS lead should also work, but still as an unbalanced connection and may pick up more noise than TS to TS.

2) The aux out is stereo, so a splitter lead with a 3.5mm TRS jack to two 1/4" mono TS jacks will be needed. Something like this: https://www.gear4music.com/G4M/Stereo-Minijack-Mono-Jack-x2-Cable-3m/631?origin=product-ads&campaign=PLA+Shop+-+GENERIC&adgroup=GENERIC&medium=vertical_search&network=google&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=7885d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=121022124799&gclid=Cj0KCQjwsZ3kBRCnARIsAIuAV_TgEOtdaSsNF53WJ_gY-0HJpVHQB1OLly9KZ-Hgpfxo24yLq3yXaigaAkdsEALw_wcB. If the output is stereo, a TRS to TRS lead would not work, as you'd only hear the difference between the two sides of the stereo image. Run the two TS jacks into two adjoining line inputs on your interface so they can be recorded as a stereo signal

But you can normally record without problems from the headphone output, which will be stereo and you'll need the type of lead mentioned in 2) above. Keep the output volume down so you don't overload the line inputs, so keep an eye on the input level status.

(I've assumed the Aux output is a 3.5mm jack, but if not, replace that with 1/4" jack as appropriate).

ok thanks thats helpfull and i think i now understand about the stereo with the split cable. wil check out the links you provided
alexhedleymusic
Poster

Postby alexhedleymusic » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:44 pm

oh sorry also its a yamaha electone hc 2
alexhedleymusic
Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:58 pm

Looks like 1/4" jack sockets. No mention if the aux output is mono or stereo in the manual.

The headphone output cuts off the internal speakers, but you should be able to monitor back through your Audio Interface or recording software.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:53 pm

It's a monophonic instrument.

The Aux output is mono and I think it's an RCA-phono socket.

If so, you'll need a phono-TS jack cable... although these normally only come in pairs like this, you'll actually only need to use one half in your application:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/RCA-Cables/Dual-Inch-RCA-Audio-Cable-1M/B07J9RK313/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1552409482&sr=8-2-fkmr3&keywords=1x+phono+rca+to+1x+1%2F4+jack+lead

(other makes are available...)

Connect one of the cables from the (single) Aux out of the keyboard to a (single) Line in of your interface.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby alexhedleymusic » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:40 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:It's a monophonic instrument.

The Aux output is mono and I think it's an RCA-phono socket.

If so, you'll need a phono-TS jack cable... although these normally only come in pairs like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/RCA-Cables/Dual-Inch-RCA-Audio-Cable-1M/B07J9RK313/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1552409482&sr=8-2-fkmr3&keywords=1x+phono+rca+to+1x+1%2F4+jack+lead

(other makes are available...)

Connect one of the cables from the Aux out of the keyboard to the Line in of your interface.

H

Hi thanks for this!
just a bit confused as there is only a single aux out on the back... i think you probably explained this in your post but i wasnt quite sure. so are you saying you would plug just one of the mini jacks into the single aux out and then use the two quater inche's for the stereo inputs?
thanks
alexhedleymusic
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:48 pm

alexhedleymusic wrote:just a bit confused as there is only a single aux out on the back... i think you probably explained this in your post but i wasnt quite sure.

I did... but I've tweaked the text of my original post to clarify further.

so are you saying you would plug just one of the mini jacks into the single aux out and then use the two quater inche's for the stereo inputs?

Nope. You would plug one RCA-phono plug (assuming that's actually what the keyboard connector is) -- say the red one -- into the keyboard's aux output, and the corresponding (red) quarter-inch TS plug into one of the line inputs of your interface. It's a mono keyboard, so there is only one channel to connect.

It's just that most pre-made cables of this type are made as stereo pairs, but in your application you only need the one half of it.

And just for further clarity, a mini-jack is a 3.5mm version of the quarter-inch plug, often used for earphone outputs on iPods and phones etc. Here's a 3.5mm mini-jack plug alongside a quarter-inch plug (for scale):

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Wonks » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:53 pm

It doesn't look like a mini-jack connection, so it's almost certainly a 1/4" one (it's your keyboard so you should be able to tell). So you'll need a 1/4" TS to TS lead to plug into a line input on your interface.

If you really want some stereo action, you could think about buying an external rotary emulation pedal, so the organ sounds like it's being played through a Leslie. There are quite a few available; though quite a lot are designed for guitar - so look for ones that can also run with much higher line-level signals.

Then you'd need three 1/4" TS leads - one into the unit and two out from it into the interface.

Have a look through this lot: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=rotary+simulator+pedal+for+keyboard&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_oriA8YHhAhXFSBUIHWJqAJ8QBQgrKAA&biw=1920&bih=916
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:09 pm

Pretty sure it is a phono/RCA socket on the aux, the symbols used in the manual support this (different for aux in/out and headphones).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby alexhedleymusic » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:10 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
alexhedleymusic wrote:just a bit confused as there is only a single aux out on the back... i think you probably explained this in your post but i wasnt quite sure.

I did... but I've tweaked the text of my original post to clarify further.

so are you saying you would plug just one of the mini jacks into the single aux out and then use the two quater inche's for the stereo inputs?

Nope. You would plug one RCA-phono plug (assuming that's actually what the keyboard connector is) -- say the red one -- into the keyboard's aux output, and the corresponding (red) quarter-inch TS plug into one of the line inputs of your interface. It's a mono keyboard, so there is only one channel to connect.

It's just that most pre-made cables of this type are made as stereo pairs, but in your application you only need the one half of it.

And just for further clarity, a mini-jack is a 3.5mm version of the quarter-inch plug, often used for earphone outputs on iPods and phones etc. Here's a 3.5mm mini-jack plug alongside a quarter-inch plug (for scale):

H

ok but wouldnt this then just be recording in mono? im looking to record the instrument to stereo... starting to think i should just go through the headphone jack... so for that id just get a mono to dual mono (red/white) connector wouldnt i?
alexhedleymusic
Poster

Postby alexhedleymusic » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:12 pm

Wonks wrote:It doesn't look like a mini-jack connection, so it's almost certainly a 1/4" one (it's your keyboard so you should be able to tell). So you'll need a 1/4" TS to TS lead to plug into a line input on your interface.

If you really want some stereo action, you could think about buying an external rotary emulation pedal, so the organ sounds like it's being played through a Leslie. There are quite a few available; though quite a lot are designed for guitar - so look for ones that can also run with much higher line-level signals.

Then you'd need three 1/4" TS leads - one into the unit and two out from it into the interface.

Have a look through this lot: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=rotary+simulator+pedal+for+keyboard&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_oriA8YHhAhXFSBUIHWJqAJ8QBQgrKAA&biw=1920&bih=916

hey the only outpu other than the heaphones is the small aux out on the back which is smaller than quater inch. think im just going to record through the headphone output with a mono to dual tye jack lead which i think will work hopefully
alexhedleymusic
Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:14 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Pretty sure it is a phono/RCA socket on the aux, the symbols used in the manual support this (different for aux in/out and headphones).

Didn't look like it on web pictures as it looks exactly like the headphone output (which to me is unlikely to be a single phono).
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:15 pm

Yes it did :bouncy:

You can't record it in stereo 'cos it isn't stereo. You can record it in mono to a stereo audio file but both sides will be exactly the same. To do that you need a splitter lead of some kind.

Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby alexhedleymusic » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:19 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Yes it did :bouncy:

You can't record it in stereo 'cos it isn't stereo. You can record it in mono to a stereo audio file but both sides will be exactly the same. To do that you need a splitter lead of some kind.

ah ok. so basically this is completely pointless then ? haha as you could just duplicate the track and put it left and right which would also do nothing.... hmmm starting to think ive been talking crap for days on here now :P
alexhedleymusic
Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:21 pm

Definitely an RCA Phono socket as the AUX OUT.

Are we sure that it isn't stereo, but with only a mono aux-out? The manual isn't explicit as far as I can see.

Alex: does it sound stereo when you play with headphones on?
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby alexhedleymusic » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:22 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:Definitely an RCA Phono socket as the AUX OUT.

Are we sure that it isn't stereo, but with only a mono aux-out? The manual isn't explicit as far as I can see.

yeah it doesnt say in the manual as you said... which is annoying iv'e tried to phone yamaha to get to the bottom of it but just get automated crap telling me to send an email which im waiting for a reply for now
alexhedleymusic
Poster

Next