You are here

What Do I Need For This Application

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

What Do I Need For This Application

Postby ciao303 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:22 am

If I have 5-6 studio sound cards, an analog mixer and a digital mixer and 5-6 pairs of studio monitor speakers, what kind of patch bay do I need to connect 6 sound cards that will select the analog mixer or digital mixer and I would like the analog mixer and digital mixer connected to another patch bay that will select 1 pair out of 5-6 pairs of studio monitor speakers at one time.
ciao303

Re: What Do I Need For This Application

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:48 am

My spam antennae are twitching...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby garrettendi » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:19 am

Spam fritters..... Nice..... Now I'm craving one.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby Wonks » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:39 am

Is this a real-world studio application (though I can't think of one), or is it for a demo-set up in a shop?

I'm also not at all sure what you mean by 'studio sound cards' . Do you mean microphone pre-amps or maybe compressors or some other item of studio equipment? There's no mention of a computer (which I would associate with 'studio sound card'). But then I'm not sure why you'd want two mixers involved.

If you can, can you explain more about what you want to achieve?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:45 am

Welcome to the forums Ciao303. You've triggered a lot of 'spam antennae' with your first post here, but I've allowed it through our vetting process on the basis that English probably isn't your first language and I like to give people the benefit of the doubt...

ciao303 wrote:If I have 5-6 studio sound cards, an analog mixer and a digital mixer and 5-6 pairs of studio monitor speakers, what kind of patch bay do I need to connect 6 sound cards that will select the analog mixer or digital mixer and I would like the analog mixer and digital mixer connected to another patch bay that will select 1 pair out of 5-6 pairs of studio monitor speakers at one time.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'sound cards' by I'm going to assume you mean sound-generating modules or synths of some kind, or possibly computer audio interfaces. Either way it doesn't matter. All you need to do is add up the number of individual sound source channels you have, the number of destinations (inputs to mixers), and then find a patch-bay panel with more than that number of sockets. It really isn't rocket science. Same with the mixer outputs and monitor speaker destinations.

The Samson S-Patch+ seems to get a lot of recommendations around here, not least because it is easy to reconfigure the normalling options.

http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/processors/s-class/s-patch-plus/

You might find these articles on patchbay configurations of help:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/studio-installation-workshop-patchbays

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/low-down-analogue-interfacing
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound