You are here

Sorting everything out

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Sorting everything out

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:02 am

My current contract here in Thailand will expire end of April. I will sign for a different company on a part time consultative basis, based here but at head office in Europe some of the time. So I will soon have time for music and recording.

My studio has become a bit of a tangle. I have a couple of PC's running mainly Arturia instruments, and a few Macs running Nuendo 8, Reason 10, and a dedicated Mac to run Pianoteq 6. Three digital mixing desks, I forget how many interfaces.

To top it all I have suddenly become interested in guitar again and there's a thumping great Cab and Amp in here now. My focus, if I ever had any, is just to play with this stuff. It's years since I recorded anyone, and to be honest I would probably find it a bit intrusive if anyone were to come along to record.

So what's all this got to do with anything? Just a chat really, but one thing I have noticed since plugging stuff in again, is how aggressive Windows Updates have become. They kick in when you boot up, take ages, and then kick in again when you pause to think. Oh well. :)
Howdy Doody Time
Regular
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Re: Sorting everything out

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:38 am

Windows updates only apply if your DAW is connected to the Internet or if the update provides something you actually need in terms of functionality. The latter is unlikely.

If it's not connected tot he Internet, then no problem. It'll work just like it always did. You can always do a once-every-N-months big update session (having done a backup first) if you want to be safe.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:01 am

Well that's very good news! I've tended to leave them all connected. Thank you!
Howdy Doody Time
Regular
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby CS70 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:10 am

Howdy Doody Time wrote:They kick in when you boot up

Boot up? It's not 1999, you don't need to turn PCs off :D :D :D
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:20 pm

I agree with CS70 - the only time my PCs get actually switched on and then later need cold booting is when the weather (and flickering lightbulbs) suggest that a power cut may be imminent.

Otherwise I just send them to sleep so they wake up within a few seconds whenever I need them.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Folderol » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:50 pm

Well, on the contrary, the only things in my house left on standby are 4 night lights and the front doorbell. As for 'pooters; For my DAW the 'Big Switch' turns everything on, 'pooter first, amp last, and by the time I've shuffled around and made myself comfy I hear the speaker relays click in. Office one is slightly slower but it's still ready before I've collected my thoughts properly.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.

Postby Wonks » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:58 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Otherwise I just send them to sleep
You send them to sleep? I hope it's with bedtime stories, as you aren't that boring Martin, in fact far from it! :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:54 am

:) The electric juice is a bit flaky in these parts for leaving stuff on (although I have a load of those things with batteries in them since the last disaster) Macs are ok with updates, they advise, which I ignore by ticking "try tomorrow" endlessly (since the firewire disaster) But the PC's! What have they done with Windows? I still have one PC running Windows 7 Home Premium :) but it's rapidly becoming my go to if I want to check a few Arturia voices. I leave the Windows X to deal with non music stuff now. By the way The Windows 7 computer which I switched on to remind me which version of Windows it is using, Is still "configuring" the computer :)

Since I came to realise that although I have a respectable recording setup, I really prefer quietly playing or tinkering, It's a kind of freedom really. I still lust after the latest gadgets of course.

Cheers
Howdy Doody Time
Regular

Postby jimjazzdad » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:30 am

My W7 studio computer lives a monastic existence far from the internet. No anti-virus, no firewall, no wifi. Updates to Windows (infrequently) and Reaper (frequently) are downloaded to my day-to-day W8 laptop and delivered to the studio computer on a memory stick. Out-going product leaves by memory stick or optical disk. All the studio computer data is backed up to a stand-alone mechanical hard drive. The computer boots in about 10 seconds and shuts down in half that (why bother with sleep mode?). In the studio I have a small, ancient laptop running Linux that I use for checking email, googling, and reading SOS. This set up, and a tin foil hat :bouncy: keeps me happy and productive.
jimjazzdad
Poster
Halifax, NS, CANADA