You are here

SSL SiX

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: SSL SiX

Postby The Elf » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:01 am

No worries, mate. I'm glad to know that it hits the spot for somebody.

I'm waiting with eager anticipation for the next portable SSL device...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: SSL Six

Postby studio673 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:49 am

Howdy Doody Time wrote:
Wonks wrote:
jaminem wrote:I think it looks banging....
But would you buy one?

I did.

I don't get this no interface argument. Don't you already have an interface? I remember paying 2500 quid each for two X-Logic SSL channels. Now I paid 1200 quid for two SuperAnalog channels with faders and compressors and lots more. I already connected an Apogee Quartet which gets the output into my Nuendo setup.

I love it.

I would have thought that it was targeted to people with audio interfaces? Especially if you're recording using a DAW. I too am monitoring through my Apogee Quartet converters using Ableton Live. My setup is quite simple yet it has improved the vibe and sound I am now getting. Recording using the 2 micpres is wonderful given that they have compression and EQ. And the G-bus series is great.
studio673

Postby optunist » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:26 pm

Can anyone recommend a decent D-Sub brand for the SiX. I bought a couple of generic snakes but the DB25 connector’s thumbscrews don’t fit...
optunist

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:32 pm

Some D-subs are fitted with metric M3 screws/threads, while others are imperial with UNC 4-40 screws/threads. I'm pretty sure the SSL uses UNCs...

So whatever your current cables have, the cheapest option is to buy some thumbscrews of the opposite type and fit them to the shells of your existing cables. :-)

Failing that, if you're in the UK, CPC do a set of pretty cost-effective breakout looms.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Elf » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:55 am

studio673 wrote:I would have thought that it was targeted to people with audio interfaces?

Hugh already summed up my feelings...
Hugh Robjohns wrote:I think the Elf viewed the SiX as a device to use when recording on location (given its handy size) rather than in his (already well equipped) studio.

For location recording use it would obviously have been far more convenient to have the interface built in, so all you would have needed was a SiX and a laptop, rather than a SiX, a laptop, and an interface...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Previous